cold weather? How cold is it?

Old December 8th 04, 02:47 PM
Max

Default cold weather? How cold is it?

I've was quietly astonished to realize how warm it's been lately as i
made my commute in the drizzly rain w/ just shorts and a light wind
shell on top the last few days. I thought it got colder in december in
chicago. huh.

..max

--
the part of
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p
Old December 8th 04, 03:13 PM
Rich

Max wrote:

I've was quietly astonished to realize how warm it's been lately as i
made my commute in the drizzly rain w/ just shorts and a light wind
shell on top the last few days. I thought it got colder in december in
chicago. huh.

It's been unusually cold here Colorado along the front range (on the
east edge of the mountains, not IN the mountains). Snow that fell a
week ago is still on the ground, which is very unusual. Haven't been on
a bike in a month or so.

Rich

Old December 10th 04, 01:44 PM

In New Jersey, it never stops raining. I can't get any real outdoor
riding in. I am glad I signed up for a spin class. I am too much of a
novice to take a bike out in inclement weather. I fell over when it was
a beautiful sunny day. I can't imagine what would happen if I rode in
the rain. Plus at my age, I would take forever to heal if I broke
something. But I will not give up. I will focus, ride, train and do
my 25 mile ride for MS on my birthday. YES I WILL!!!!!

Persistence is the twin sister of excellence. One is a matter of
quality; the other, a matter of time.
Marabel Morgan, The Electric Woman

Old December 10th 04, 04:07 PM

Rich wrote:
It's been unusually cold here Colorado along the front range (on the
east edge of the mountains, not IN the mountains). Snow that fell a

week ago is still on the ground, which is very unusual. Haven't been

on
a bike in a month or so.

I'm on the front range also, and the streets around my neighborhood
still have wet ice on them (sigh). I've been spending my evenings on
the trainer watching my tapes of the 2004 TDF. I'm still itching to
get outdoors, but sweatin' to the mountain stages with Phil and Paul is
not a bad alternative.

JR

Old December 10th 04, 05:06 PM
R15757

I'm on the front range also, and the streets around my neighborhood
still have wet ice on them (sigh). I've been spending my evenings on
the trainer watching my tapes of the 2004 TDF. I

Come on guys. It was up to 50F yesterday
and will go beyond today. The main roads are
completely dry.
Old December 11th 04, 03:29 PM
TomP

Didn't you get the memo; it's called Global Warming! We're all gonna die!

Max wrote:

I've was quietly astonished to realize how warm it's been lately as i
made my commute in the drizzly rain w/ just shorts and a light wind
shell on top the last few days. I thought it got colder in december in
chicago. huh.

.max

--
the part of
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Old December 12th 04, 12:34 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Stephen Harding writes:

But cold rain? Pretty much avoid it. Just really can't
get into a rain, either drizzle or steady, during cold
weather.

For commuting in cold rain, I've reached the conclusion
that two sets of rain capes, gloves, etc are pretty well
called for. The primary set for the trip to work; the
secondary set to be kept dry for the ride home.

Yesterday morning at 6:30 AM I had to ride to work
through rain heavy enough for Environment Canada to
issue a warning. Traffic was so light that the streets
were mine, which was rather pleasant. When I arrived
at the site my gloves were so soaked I wrung them out,
but my hands were still warm. Unfortunately, I had no
way to dry them during the day. Same with the rain cape,
and everything else I was wearing. So the ride home was
much less comfortable than the ride out.

I need more cargo capacity so I can pack a secondary
set of clothes & stuff. The milk crate is no longer
big enough. Maybe an additional single pannier would
do the trick.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old December 12th 04, 04:12 AM
Claire Petersky

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,

For commuting in cold rain, I've reached the conclusion
that two sets of rain capes, gloves, etc are pretty well
called for. The primary set for the trip to work; the
secondary set to be kept dry for the ride home.

A fan at work seems to do the trick for me -- things dry quick in front of a
little desk fan. I circulate the gloves, socks, shoes, etc, and do open up
the shoes as far as they'll go, but they'll all be fine in a couple of
hours.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky