Folding bikes

Old July 13th 05, 02:53 PM
elyob

Default Folding bikes

Got a mate of mine who is staying near here in a room in a shared house.
He's been looking at a folding bike from H*lf*rds "because I get a 15%
discount there".

The one he has been looking at is a Dahon Expresso. This is a folding
mountain bike. He needs the folding "for storing in my room" and "easy
transport on the train when going home".

I've not really gone for the Brompton line, as I think he really wants a
full sized bike, but needs to be able to store it.

The reviews I've read of the Dahon are not good. But cannot think of another
suggestion. So, I've decided to pick the brains of the majority.

Thanks

Old July 13th 05, 02:59 PM
Tony Raven

elyob wrote:
Got a mate of mine who is staying near here in a room in a shared house.
He's been looking at a folding bike from H*lf*rds "because I get a 15%
discount there".

The one he has been looking at is a Dahon Expresso. This is a folding
mountain bike. He needs the folding "for storing in my room" and "easy
transport on the train when going home".

I've not really gone for the Brompton line, as I think he really wants a
full sized bike, but needs to be able to store it.

The reviews I've read of the Dahon are not good. But cannot think of another
suggestion. So, I've decided to pick the brains of the majority.

Thanks

What does he want to use if for?

--
Tony

Anon
Old July 13th 05, 03:04 PM
elyob

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
elyob wrote:
Got a mate of mine who is staying near here in a room in a shared house.
He's been looking at a folding bike from H*lf*rds "because I get a 15%
discount there".

The one he has been looking at is a Dahon Expresso. This is a folding
mountain bike. He needs the folding "for storing in my room" and "easy
transport on the train when going home".

I've not really gone for the Brompton line, as I think he really wants a
full sized bike, but needs to be able to store it.

The reviews I've read of the Dahon are not good. But cannot think of
another suggestion. So, I've decided to pick the brains of the majority.

Thanks

What does he want to use if for?

Just general cycling. I'm thinking towpath and road. Cycling to Richmond,
drinking beer .. that sort of thing.

Old July 13th 05, 03:25 PM
Tony Raven

elyob wrote:
"Tony Raven" wrote in message

elyob wrote:

Got a mate of mine who is staying near here in a room in a shared house.
He's been looking at a folding bike from H*lf*rds "because I get a 15%
discount there".

The one he has been looking at is a Dahon Expresso. This is a folding
mountain bike. He needs the folding "for storing in my room" and "easy
transport on the train when going home".

I've not really gone for the Brompton line, as I think he really wants a
full sized bike, but needs to be able to store it.

The reviews I've read of the Dahon are not good. But cannot think of
another suggestion. So, I've decided to pick the brains of the majority.

Thanks

What does he want to use if for?

Just general cycling. I'm thinking towpath and road. Cycling to Richmond,
drinking beer .. that sort of thing.

I which case I would not go for the Espresso as it big and ungainly when
folded and you don't need a mountain bike for that sort of riding and it
will probably be more cumbersome folded than unfolded on the train. I'd
be inclined to go for the Dahon Vitesse at the same price but folds much
smaller with the smaller wheel size.

Tony

--
Tony

Anon
Old July 13th 05, 03:31 PM
Peter Clinch

elyob wrote:

The one he has been looking at is a Dahon Expresso. This is a folding
mountain bike. He needs the folding "for storing in my room" and "easy
transport on the train when going home".

The 20" wheel models will store rather more compactly, and be better
suited to the above.

I've not really gone for the Brompton line, as I think he really wants a
full sized bike, but needs to be able to store it.

Define "full size bike"...

Aside from the wheels there is nothing small about the Brompton, and
small wheels do not really interfere with basic function unless you're
on seriously bumpy stuff. And I say this as a rider with larger wheeled
bikes to choose from if I want them, but I routinely use the Brompton
for more hacks than any of my other bikes.

The reviews I've read of the Dahon are not good.

Dahons might not be at the cutting edge but they have a good name for
basic sound design and engineering. Not much point getting a folding
MTB if you're not going MTBing so I'd look at the 20" models, which
start for less money and go up to some very respectable sports and
touring equipment.
Though a Brompton will fit in a corner of the room or in a train luggage
are/between back-toback seats much more easily, and rides far, far
better than most people seem to imagine. Costs more than vanilla Dahons
though, and good luck to anyone with getting a 15% discount on one!

Speed D7 is less than an Expresso, and should do all that's required,
except possibly look like a piece of serious sports equipment to pose
about with.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old July 13th 05, 07:50 PM
JohnB

Peter Clinch wrote:

Speed D7 is less than an Expresso, and should do all that's required,
except possibly look like a piece of serious sports equipment to pose
about with.

The Speed D7 is an excellent machine for the dosh. A colleague of mine
bought one recently and has already used it on the off-road family cycle
trails of Queen Elizabeth Country Park, with very good reports.
I recently tried these on my BF Pocket Rocket and failed miserably.

Its not that bad to pose with either if that kinda thing grabs you.

John B
Old August 5th 05, 03:21 AM
C.J.Patten

"elyob" wrote in message
Got a mate of mine who is staying near here in a room in a shared house.
He's been looking at a folding bike from H*lf*rds "because I get a 15%
discount there".

The one he has been looking at is a Dahon Expresso. This is a folding
mountain bike. He needs the folding "for storing in my room" and "easy
transport on the train when going home".

I've not really gone for the Brompton line, as I think he really wants a
full sized bike, but needs to be able to store it.

The reviews I've read of the Dahon are not good. But cannot think of
another suggestion. So, I've decided to pick the brains of the majority.

Thanks

Been a while since your post but if the decision hasn't been made yet...
....get your mate to visit a few folding bike websites.

http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/
My mini-buyers guide/test ride experience:
http://www.halffg.pwp.blueyonder.co....oc/canada.html

Some other links:
http://www.atob.org.uk/Buyers'_Guide.html
http://nordicgroup.us/fold/
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/folding_bikes.shtml
http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221
http://www.bikesandtrailers.com/folding-bikes/

Chris

Old August 7th 05, 04:58 PM
John Webb

I can recommend a Dahon Vitesse or similar 6 speed folder. I got mine
through e-bay from Germany, paying by paypal. I checked out the sellers
feedback and contacted the english language replies. They gave a good
report. I ordered it on a tuesday morning, got an e-mail to say it was in
the post Tuesday afternoon and it arrived on the Thursday. It was about £50
cheaper than anyone selling it in this country and it came with a carry bag
and lights worth about £40. It is a 20"" wheel and is great for hopping on
and off the train. Weight at 11kg is easy to carry and the 6 speed gear and
20" wheels it rides well.