Purple Extreme - an update

Old November 6th 05, 01:04 AM
Jon Senior

Default Purple Extreme - an update

A friend bought me a bottle of this a month or so ago, and I've been
running it on the Giant's chain. It admittedly didn't have much use
until recently, when (for various reasons) it became my commuting bike.
Very effective it is too. The bike (and rider) have been soaked through
by a great many showers over the last two weeks. Despite this, the chain
is only a little dirtier than when I started and is showing no signs of
rust and making no squeaking noises.

My cynicism has been (at least temporarily) suspended!

Jon
Old November 6th 05, 06:00 AM
LSMike

Jon Senior wrote:
A friend bought me a bottle of this a month or so ago, and I've been
running it on the Giant's chain. It admittedly didn't have much use
until recently, when (for various reasons) it became my commuting bike.
Very effective it is too. The bike (and rider) have been soaked through
by a great many showers over the last two weeks. Despite this, the chain
is only a little dirtier than when I started and is showing no signs of
rust and making no squeaking noises.

My cynicism has been (at least temporarily) suspended!

Jon

Mine too, it seems even better than Rocknroll Gold.

Old November 6th 05, 12:24 PM
Sam Salt

LSMike wrote:
Jon Senior wrote:
A friend bought me a bottle of this a month or so ago, and I've been
running it on the Giant's chain. It admittedly didn't have much use
until recently, when (for various reasons) it became my commuting
bike. Very effective it is too. The bike (and rider) have been
soaked through by a great many showers over the last two weeks.
Despite this, the chain is only a little dirtier than when I started
and is showing no signs of rust and making no squeaking noises.

My cynicism has been (at least temporarily) suspended!

Jon

Mine too, it seems even better than Rocknroll Gold.

No complaints about it here either.

Sam Salt

Old November 6th 05, 06:43 PM
Chris Malcolm

Sam Salt wrote:
LSMike wrote:
Jon Senior wrote:
A friend bought me a bottle of this a month or so ago, and I've been
running it on the Giant's chain. It admittedly didn't have much use
until recently, when (for various reasons) it became my commuting
bike. Very effective it is too. The bike (and rider) have been
soaked through by a great many showers over the last two weeks.
Despite this, the chain is only a little dirtier than when I started
and is showing no signs of rust and making no squeaking noises.

My cynicism has been (at least temporarily) suspended!

Jon

Mine too, it seems even better than Rocknroll Gold.

No complaints about it here either.

It says on the bottle it must not be mixed with other lubricants, so
the chain, and presumably all associated gears, must be thoroughly
cleaned and dried of other lubricants before applying it.

Did you all do that? What happens if you don't?

--
Chris Malcolm +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
[

Old November 6th 05, 08:40 PM
Jon Senior

Chris Malcolm wrote:
It says on the bottle it must not be mixed with other lubricants, so
the chain, and presumably all associated gears, must be thoroughly
cleaned and dried of other lubricants before applying it.

I thoroughly cleaned the chain first and removed the worst of the muck
from the cassette. Despite my cleaning of the chain, the solvent in
Purple Extreme carefully washed some more black gunk out of it.

Did you all do that? What happens if you don't?

The aim is to remove any dirt (I believe). I certainly wasn't as
thorough as I could have been and so far, so good.

Jon