Lacing suggestions

Old May 9th 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Lacing suggestions

On May 9, 10:19*pm, "
wrote:
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/hikingbikinglacing.htm
Suggested lacing pattern to keep shoeslaces away from the chain.

Getting a shoelace tangled in the pedal spindle of a fixed gear bike
is no fun!

I think I'll try that pattern.

Joseph
Old May 9th 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

On May 9, 10:14*am, "
wrote:
There is some interesting stuff he

http://www.geocities.com/spokeanwheel/lacingsr.htm

It sure is interesting, but don't believe most of what you read on
that site...

My main concern is lateral stiffness in the front, and lateral
stiffnes and torque resistance in the rear. I don't want the brakes to
rub when I am out of the saddle, and I certainly don't want the
occasional "boing" feeling I get with the rear wheel on my lightweight
wheels when I stand in *high torque conditions.

Your light wheels have a narrow flange spacing and a light rim... this
won't be the case with your aero wheels.

So radial in the front sounds like the way to go for stiffness. Heads
in. Pretty straight forward.

Do you have 28 spokes in the front too? If so, you can lace it any way
you want... it will be stiffer than the rear anyway.

What do you guys think about the 2x NDS, 3x DS recommended in the link
above? And the reasoning?

That should be ok... but I'm not sure it is ideal. I think Dave said
it well in the post above. If you have a torsionally stiff hub, then
the NDS will be involved in torque transfer if it is cross-laced. This
is good in that it reduces the amount that the DS needs to transfer...
but bad in that the NDS spokes are more likely to go slack from
combined torque, radial, and lateral loads. The trick is figuring out
if NDS spokes going slack is more likely to be an issue than DS spokes
getting overloaded by torque. Unless you are sprinting up steep hills
*in a low gear* the torque isn't going to be a problem with only half
the spokes crossed. So... I still think radial on the NDS would be my
choice.

Old May 9th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 9, 10:44*pm, Ron Ruff wrote:
On May 9, 10:14*am, "

wrote:
[...]

The worst hills I'm worried about are probably 10-14% and short enough
to be stomped in 53x19 or 17 so. This will involve standing of course,
and probably a fair amount of thrashing side to side. So lateral
stiffness could be an issue.

So to make sure I underatand the reasoning: radial up front to be as
stiff laterally as possible, and 2x DS rear to provide torque
transfer, radial NDS (heads in) to provide lateral stiffness. Correct?

Joseph
Old May 10th 08, 05:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

On May 9, 3:32*pm, "
wrote:
So to make sure I underatand the reasoning: radial up front to be as
stiff laterally as possible, and 2x DS rear to provide torque
transfer, radial NDS (heads in) to provide lateral stiffness. Correct?

Good enough. You could lace the DS 3x... but make sure you check the
angle the spokes make at the rim in any case. I bend the spokes above
the threads a little so that the nipples are more in line with the
holes. I don't know what rim you are using... some are more sensitive
to this than others. You want to avoid having bending loads at that
point, which would stress both the spoke threads and the rim.

Old May 10th 08, 07:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 10, 6:45*am, Ron Ruff wrote:
On May 9, 3:32*pm, "

wrote:
So to make sure I underatand the reasoning: radial up front to be as
stiff laterally as possible, and 2x DS rear to provide torque
transfer, radial NDS (heads in) to provide lateral stiffness. Correct?

Good enough. You could lace the DS 3x... but make sure you check the
angle the spokes make at the rim in any case. I bend the spokes above
the threads a little so that the nipples are more in line with the
holes. I don't know what rim you are using... some are more sensitive
to this than others. You want to avoid having bending loads at that
point, which would stress both the spoke threads and the rim.

Gigantex internal nipple rims.

Joseph
Old May 10th 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

Looking at my shiny new 7800 rear hub, I can't imagine it is anything
but torsionally stiff. Any flex it would show under load would have to
be microscopic.

If that is the case, it doesn't matter which side the spokes are on.
Any "pull" spoke transfers torque to the rim, whichever side it is on.
So then it would make sense to have radial on the DS, not the NDS.
That way the shorter spoke and resulting angle helps make up for the
more inboard placement of the DS flange.

This is totally unscientific and anecdotal, but I just took my light
wheels (28h, 2x DS, radial NDS, narrow AC hub flanges) for a short
test, and did some purposefully agressive side to side sprints. It
seems the wheel only have the occasional flop when I lean the bike to
the right, and the rims feels like it flexes in toward the NDS. The
flanges mean there is essentially no dish, so the only real difference
between each side is spoke length and thus angle. The rim does not
seem to flop toward the DS. That makes sense because the NDS is radial
and is in better position to resist.

Joseph
Old May 10th 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

On May 10, 6:36*am, "
wrote:
If that is the case, it doesn't matter which side the spokes are on.
Any "pull" spoke transfers torque to the rim, whichever side it is on.
So then it would make sense to have radial on the DS, not the NDS.
That way the shorter spoke and resulting angle helps make up for the
more inboard placement of the DS flange.

It would help a little... but think about what you've done to the NDS
spokes. Instead of 19mm and 36mm spacing, you'd get maybe 21mm and
36mm (just guessing). If you put 120kg in the DS, then the NDS would
be 70kg... and these are the only spokes transfering torque. Combine a
high torque load with the radial and side loads, and it won't take
much to make the pushing spokes go slack.

This is totally unscientific and anecdotal, but I just took my light
wheels (28h, 2x DS, radial NDS, narrow AC hub flanges) for a short
test, and did some purposefully agressive side to side sprints. It
seems the wheel only have the occasional flop when I lean the bike to
the right, and the rims feels like it flexes in toward the NDS.

You are very perceptive! This is the side that will buckle first,
since the NDS tension is lower and the spokes are at more of an angle.
You can demonstrate this easily by taking the wheel out and pressing
on the edges of the rim, while the axle rests on a solid surface. The
wheel will "boing" with lower force when you press towards the NDS.

The
flanges mean there is essentially no dish, so the only real difference
between each side is spoke length and thus angle. The rim does not
seem to flop toward the DS. That makes sense because the NDS is radial
and is in better position to resist.

There is dish. Probably ~19mm DS and 28mm NDS. This is the main
difference. Oddly, if the spacing (dish) was greater, you'd think the
lateral stability situation would get worse... but it actually
improves. A narrow spacing improves the tension balance, but this is
only an issue if you have spokes going slack from radial loads... for
all other loads it makes things worse. Narrow flanges reduce the
lateral stiffness a lot, since this goes up exponentially with bracing
angle, and they also reduce the load required to make the wheel
buckle.
Old May 10th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Ron Ruff wrote:
On May 10, 6:36�am, "
wrote:
[...]

it's not so much a tension thing as a spoke angle thing. and it's the
angle of the /drive side/ spokes that causes it. basically, the closer
the drive side spoke angle is to perpendicular, the more any applied
load stretches those spokes, hence the non-drive side can slack more easily.

You can demonstrate this easily by taking the wheel out and pressing
on the edges of the rim, while the axle rests on a solid surface. The
wheel will "boing" with lower force when you press towards the NDS.

indeed. see above.

Old May 10th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daveornee[_205_]

Ron Ruff Wrote:
On May 10, 6:36*am, "
wrote:
[...]

I agree with Ron Ruff. Whatever way you finally decide to build them,
make sure to stabilize the build and check spoke tensions often for at
least the first 100 miles to make sure that everything stays where you
put them... or at least gets back there.
I don't see any benefit for 3X on a 28 spoke wheel.
The wider set flanges and thicker hub mid section of the 7800 Dura Ace
hubs make them stiffer in all dimensions.
Your 50 mm high rims also help stiffness in three ways:
the rims themselves due to the rim height
the spoke support angle is greater
the spoke length is shorter
Each contribution may be small, but it is measurable and in the
direction of increased stiffness.

--
daveornee

Old May 10th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 10, 4:36*pm, Ron Ruff wrote:
On May 10, 6:36*am, "

wrote:
If that is the case, it doesn't matter which side the spokes are on.
Any "pull" spoke transfers torque to the rim, whichever side it is on.
So then it would make sense to have radial on the DS, not the NDS.
That way the shorter spoke and resulting angle helps make up for the
more inboard placement of the DS flange.

It would help a little... but think about what you've done to the NDS
spokes. Instead of 19mm and 36mm spacing, you'd get maybe 21mm and
36mm (just guessing). If you put 120kg in the DS, then the NDS would
be 70kg... and these are the only spokes transfering torque. Combine a
high torque load with the radial and side loads, and it won't take
much to make the pushing spokes go slack.

I see. Radial DS would make the wheel more laterally stiff, but this
would come at the unacceptable expense of NDS push spokes going slack
under high torque loads and probably boinging the wheel.

[...]

I guess that in general the wider flange spacing of the DA hubs (yet
smaller diameter) than the AC hubs (38mm, 22mm vs 31mm, 17mm) is what
is going to make the biggest difference. So radial NDS, 2x DS.

But what about my light wheels that buckle? Should I rebuild those 2x
both sides?

Joseph

Lacing [email protected] Techniques 19 November 25th 07 07:24 PM
lacing brooks B66? Bill Taylor Techniques 6 October 29th 07 04:26 AM
Lacing Help Needed!!! Jerrick Unicycling 36 November 27th 06 08:06 AM
PowerTap SL Lacing: 2X or 3X ? Daniel Norton Techniques 2 November 6th 06 01:53 PM
Rim lacing, 36 rim to 48 hub caw89 Unicycling 19 May 25th 05 03:49 PM