Doping-Substance Abuse-Mental Illness

Old June 22nd 07, 10:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Brian Lafferty

Default Doping-Substance Abuse-Mental Illness

www.velonews.com/train/articles/12396.0.html

Interesting reading.
Old June 22nd 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Jun 22, 5:41 am, Brian Lafferty wrote:
www.velonews.com/train/articles/12396.0.html

Interesting reading.

From that article:

"One athlete said it better than I can:

"I would have to say the situation in pro cycling has always made me
depressed and feeling bipolar, but I didn't try to commit suicide
until after I did testosterone ... I never smoked pot until after I
did testosterone. It was instructed to me to use mary jane to relax my
muscles after the 'roids. Then came alcohol abuse, sex, drugs, and
rock and roll."

Wow - I never knew it was so serious. Doping in cycling is a gateway
to COLLEGE. Sheesh.

Is she serious? That is the same sort of wise-ass answer I'd give to
mock someone.

BTW, have you done any similar research on obsessive behavior with
regards to Usenet posting? You probably should or next thing you know
you'll be using mary jane, listening to music and having sex. Well,
the first two at least.

Old June 22nd 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 09:41:43 GMT, Brian Lafferty wrote:

www.velonews.com/train/articles/12396.0.html

Interesting reading.

Does anybody who actually smokes the stuff actually call it "Mary Jane" except
when high and giggling.

Ron
Old June 22nd 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jun 22, 4:41 am, Brian Lafferty wrote:
www.velonews.com/train/articles/12396.0.html

Interesting reading.

Yeah. Interesting.

My observations are not a scientific study. They might be considered
more as a collection of case studies.

"We don't prove anything here". Stinko rhetorical ploy.

Will sports-medicine research ultimately find a scientific link
between cycling doping, substance abuse and mental illness?

Let's go ahead and do that study. First. Like, before we go running
around touting testosterone as a "gateway drug".

Will treatment strategies be developed and proven effective in the
rehabilitation of athletes from doping? Serotonin reuptake inhibitors,
such as Prozac, have shown some benefit to bodybuilders suffering from
depression related to steroid withdrawal. I have heard of similar
benefit in speaking with reformed dopers.

"Get them hooked on Prozac". Mother's Little Helpers, anyone?

How "balanced" is the average bike racer, starting at the Cat. V level
here in the USA?

IOW, what is this guy selling here? IMHO, all he can see is winos. He
needs to be tested, BTW.

Is there a problem with the system, from the top down? Here we go
again, piling on the athlete. The athletes are the peons. The bad
rules come from the top. Fix the bad rules-- if you as an athlete know
the guy next to you can "cheat" and get away with it, and you even
know (at least) by rumor how said advantage-taking is being done, the
system has failed.

Fine Pound (and a long list of others) every time any athlete returns
a positive. No B sample or other verification required (remember,
Pound doesn't like B samples!). Take the money out of the
administration side of sports. Then we can have clean competition
again, as it was back in the days I remember.

Sarcasm off for the moment. --D-y

Old June 22nd 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 09:05:12 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Any aspiring professional athlete is more than a little whacked. Normal, well
adjusted people just aren't that driven and stupid.

IOW, what is this guy selling here? IMHO, all he can see is winos. He
needs to be tested, BTW.

Is there a problem with the system, from the top down? Here we go
again, piling on the athlete. The athletes are the peons. The bad
rules come from the top. Fix the bad rules-- if you as an athlete know
the guy next to you can "cheat" and get away with it, and you even
know (at least) by rumor how said advantage-taking is being done, the
system has failed.

Fine Pound (and a long list of others) every time any athlete returns
a positive. No B sample or other verification required (remember,
Pound doesn't like B samples!). Take the money out of the
administration side of sports. Then we can have clean competition
again, as it was back in the days I remember.

Sarcasm off for the moment. --D-y

Sounds like as good an idea as anybody else's got.

Ron
Old June 22nd 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jun 22, 4:43 pm, RonSonic wrote:

Sounds like as good an idea as anybody else's got.

(Thank you)

"It's an incurable problem". Let's park the bus there. --D-y

Old June 23rd 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

I don't know about the slide into mental illness, but a rider from
near where I live started off smuggling performance enhancing drugs
and then realized there was more money in recreational drugs and
started moving those. Ended up in jail in another country for a few
years. Just got out.
--
JT
****************************
Old June 23rd 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jun 22, 6:07 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
I don't know about the slide into mental illness, but a rider from
near where I live started off smuggling performance enhancing drugs
and then realized there was more money in recreational drugs and
started moving those. Ended up in jail in another country for a few
years. Just got out.

So, the gateway substance is money in this case?

I did a little looking at 12-step programs. Having always been highly
suspicious of AA, where the greeting included a big 'ol steaming pot
of highly addictive stimulant ("coffee"), I wasn't surprised to see
such topic lines as "95% failure rate of 12-step programs".

Ol' Bill W. ? I guess he *chose* not to cure himself completely:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_W.

Tobacco and fornication-- is that like, 24 more steps to a total cure/
personal perfection?

Buncha bull****, as usual. There are other, far less complimentary
"reads" on Bill W., if you want to look.

People give credit to a program they are in while they in fact cure
themselves, is the drift.

MD's are very sensitive to the "drug abuse" issue because so many of
them become addicts.

Telling truth, leaving immed., per the old Italian proverb...

Meanwhile, the War on People continues! --D-y