OMG, Specialized making non-compact steel Allez Road Bike

Old July 7th 10, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Default OMG, Specialized making non-compact steel Allez Road Bike

"http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45678&eid=4350&menuItemId=9256 "

I wonder what prompted this amazing event?!
Old July 7th 10, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
raamman

On Jul 6, 7:44*pm, SMS wrote:
"http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45678&eid=435..."

I wonder what prompted this amazing event?!

looks really nice, but both my specialized frames did not last long
before failing- no reason for me to give any more cash to them
Old July 7th 10, 04:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

On 06/07/10 8:11 PM, raamman wrote:
On Jul 6, 7:44 pm, wrote:
"http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45678&eid=435..."

I wonder what prompted this amazing event?!

looks really nice, but both my specialized frames did not last long
before failing- no reason for me to give any more cash to them

Were those steel frames?

We have three Specialized bicycles in the fleet and none have given us
any frame problems. But then none of the bicycles in the fleet have had
any frame problems.
Old July 7th 10, 06:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
raamman

On Jul 6, 7:44 pm, *wrote:
"http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45678&eid=435..."

I wonder what prompted this amazing event?!

looks really nice, but both my specialized frames did not last long
before failing- no reason for me to give any more cash to them

Were those steel frames?

We have three Specialized bicycles in the fleet and none have given us
any frame problems. But then none of the bicycles in the fleet have had
any frame problems.

yep. on one the seat tube developed a horizontal split about mid way
up after a year, and the 2nd the drive-side drop-out snaped at the
stay ( I forget if it was at the seat or chain-stay)- literally when I
rolled 10000k on my cateye mity2- I was very light perhaps 150lbs, but
a monster on those bikes ( I could feel the tubes springing at times)-
ok I am extreme and for the avg person they'd be ok as an entry
package- I never fell in love with those frames though, they are
utilitarian, and lack that bit of art that can inspire a memorable
ride. if you have a fleet, you have a thing for cycling- and you have
reason to indulge in a bit of extravangance, a nice italian frame that
catches your eye, try it and let yourself fall in love with it- you'll
know the difference between an urban commuter and a whole new way of
experiencing life.
Old July 8th 10, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jul 6, 6:44*pm, SMS wrote:
"http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45678&eid=435..."

I wonder what prompted this amazing event?!

Someone in the design department got really baked and forgot how much
better modern alu bikes are compared to those old retro noodles.

Doesn't even look capable of taking a 28mm tire. And seeing that it's
not going to be raced--that's **** poor design for an entry level road
bike that'll be ridden by fat middle aged people.
Old July 9th 10, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

=====
[...]

There are two "classic" ways a steel frame will eventually (hopefully after
a long life) fail, and you got 'em both!

On the seat tube though, sounds like a strange variant. What we'd usually
see (back in the day when there were a lot of steel frames running around)
was a tear in the seat tube that would start on the non-drive-side, usually
not too far below the front derailleur. If yours developed a crack above the
front derailleur, that was very unusual.

10,000 miles was way too soon for the drop out/chainstay break. Was this
before cassette hubs? Bent & broken axles on non-cassette hubs shortened the
life of many a frame. Otherwise, you should see approximately 25-50k miles
before a dropout/chainstay break on a well-made frame (and of course it's
one of those your-mileage-may-vary things, with some frames lasting multiple
times that, and others lasting less).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old July 9th 10, 06:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kevan Smith[_2_]

Just for ****s and giggles, Cinelli still has the SuperCorsa on sale:

http://www.cinelli-usa.com/bicycles/supercorsacp

I don't think it's inexpensive these days, either.
Old July 31st 10, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Kevan Smith" wrote in message
Just for ****s and giggles, Cinelli still has the SuperCorsa on sale:

http://www.cinelli-usa.com/bicycles/supercorsacp

I don't think it's inexpensive these days, either.

Ohmygosh, that is the *exact* color and chrome scheme of my Cinelli in its
original state! Didn't have the ugly new decals though, thank goodness. The
other change from then to now is mine had a sensible wheelbase, unlike the
newer ones with the rear wheel tucked up under the seat.

Old August 4th 10, 12:42 PM
mischastar mischastar is offline
Member

I absolutely love my Specialized!! I could not recommend a nicer bike to ride. Last week I completed a 160 mile bike ride for charity and the Specialized made a huge difference to the outcome of my ride. It was smooth, comfortable and sturdy whilst road riding. I have honestly never had a problem with it and I ride it a lot!

I suppose it is just how much you take care of it and whether you absolutely rag it or not.