A life of privilege

Old March 22nd 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,aus.bicycle,alt.mountain-bike

Default A life of privilege

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away (okay, back in the '60s)
I read a Readers' Digest[*] bio about William Beebe, creator of
the Bathysphere, in which he was quoted as saying something to
the effect of: "The greatest sin is boredom."

You know, this is awesome! I have been feeling very bored in a key
area of my life, and beyond that feeling, I feel that there is some
degree of ego that connects to the feeling of boredom. I came to
usenet seeking the source of boredom, as well as the cure & the
spiritual/emotional connections surrounding the feeling.

That stuck with me. This world is so full of wonderments,
the appreciation of which is greatly facilitated by bicycling.

When people admit to being bored, I confess I'll regard
and discount them as vacuous.

Yes.

I know that's a terrible
thing to say about anybody, but I just fail to understand
how anyone can be bored. Heck, I've known a few bi-polar
people who've plombed the depths the despair, but even
they weren't bored. Ennui is like just giving up, rolling
over, and deciding to die on the spot. "FTW, I'm outa here."

That print by Albrecht Durer, titled "Melancholia"
http://www.alchemylab.com/melancholia.htm
****es me off something fierce, and makes me wanna kick
the guy-in-the-picture's ass. He needs to spread his
wings and ride his bike.

If you're of aspiritual/intuitve nature, being bored
boils down to denying the elaborate mystique of Creation.

If you're of a scientific/analytical nature, being
bored smacks of quitting and despairingly giving-up.

And if you're of an artistic/creative nature, being
bored means your creative pilot light has been blown
out and you don't feel like relighting it or letting
anyone/anything else relight it for you so you could
continue to embellish the world.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boredomis stupidity, wastefulness, detrimentality and
destructiveness. The next step down fromboredomis
downright malevolence. Boredomis the threshold of evil.

cheers,
Tom

A life of privilege Tom Sherman[_2_] Social Issues 1 March 10th 08 02:42 AM
A life of privilege Jay[_2_] General 0 March 9th 08 09:30 PM
A life of privilege ZBicyclist General 0 March 9th 08 05:21 PM
A life of privilege ZBicyclist Social Issues 0 March 9th 08 05:21 PM
A life of privilege Red Cloud Social Issues 0 March 9th 08 04:39 AM