Stiffest Stem-Handlebar Combination?

Old April 17th 08, 01:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
toddio

Default Stiffest Stem-Handlebar Combination?

Cheers,
riding a Columbus-MAX-Road-Frame, I'm looking for a stiff stem/
handlebar-combination. It has a 1-Inch, threaded steering tube, so i
won't be able to use an ahead-Stem. So far, i've been using a Syntace
Force88 stem and a Modolo 8x tenos (or so) Handlebar - which flex
considerably under load. Is the 3ttt pro chrome stem (welded from
columbus thron-tubing) any stiffer, what handlebar should i use? Any
suggestions. I will not be able to use trackie parts, as i am a little
impaired in my back.
Thanks a lot, Thorsten from Hamburg, Germany.
Old April 17th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 17, 7:11*am, toddio wrote:
Cheers,
riding a Columbus-MAX-Road-Frame, I'm looking for a stiff stem/
handlebar-combination. It has a 1-Inch, threaded steering tube, so i
won't be able to use an ahead-Stem. So far, i've been using a Syntace
Force88 stem and a Modolo 8x tenos (or so) Handlebar - which flex
considerably under load. Is the 3ttt pro chrome stem (welded from
columbus thron-tubing) any stiffer, what handlebar should i use? Any
suggestions. I will not be able to use trackie parts, as i am a little
impaired in my back.
Thanks a lot, Thorsten from Hamburg, Germany.

I don't "know" the 3ttt Pro Chrome stem. I use 3ttt Mutant stems, both
quill and no-thread styles. Seem to be acceptably stiff, have a
detachable faceplate, 26.0 diameter. Out of production but still
around at least in the USA, NOS on ebay for example g.

Use a "threaded to threadless" adapter, and you can use a threadless-
style stem just fine. Which will let you choose a stem with positive
rise, also, if that would help with your back situation.

I've seen a Nitto adapter that had a real nice look to it, as you'd
expect from Nitto I guess. Cheaper units are available.

Bars? You probably need to start with shape you want, ergo or "Merckx"
or whatever, and go from there. Something from the heavier end of the
weight choices would seem more likely to have the stiffness you want.
--D-y
Old April 18th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Apr 17, 5:11 am, toddio wrote:
Cheers,
riding a Columbus-MAX-Road-Frame, I'm looking for a stiff stem/
handlebar-combination. It has a 1-Inch, threaded steering tube, so i
won't be able to use an ahead-Stem. So far, i've been using a Syntace
Force88 stem and a Modolo 8x tenos (or so) Handlebar - which flex
considerably under load. Is the 3ttt pro chrome stem (welded from
columbus thron-tubing) any stiffer, what handlebar should i use? Any
suggestions. I will not be able to use trackie parts, as i am a little
impaired in my back.
Thanks a lot, Thorsten from Hamburg, Germany.

The Nitto lugged steel stem looks exceptionally stout and has a very
tall quill:

http://www.rivbike.com/products/list...product=16-088

It sure isn't cheap, though: $200. Or about three euro, these days.
Old April 18th 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Hank wrote:
On Apr 17, 5:11 am, toddio wrote:
Cheers,
riding a Columbus-MAX-Road-Frame, I'm looking for a stiff stem/
handlebar-combination. It has a 1-Inch, threaded steering tube, so i
won't be able to use an ahead-Stem. So far, i've been using a Syntace
Force88 stem and a Modolo 8x tenos (or so) Handlebar - which flex
considerably under load. Is the 3ttt pro chrome stem (welded from
columbus thron-tubing) any stiffer, what handlebar should i use? Any
suggestions. I will not be able to use trackie parts, as i am a little
impaired in my back.
Thanks a lot, Thorsten from Hamburg, Germany.

The Nitto lugged steel stem looks exceptionally stout and has a very
tall quill:

http://www.rivbike.com/products/list...product=16-088

It sure isn't cheap, though: $200. Or about three euro, these days.

Yes, but it's "hand brazed by a 42 year old Japanese woman"! Hard to put
a price on that...
Old April 18th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Camilo

On Apr 17, 4:11 am, toddio wrote:
Cheers,
riding a Columbus-MAX-Road-Frame, I'm looking for a stiff stem/
handlebar-combination. It has a 1-Inch, threaded steering tube, so i
won't be able to use an ahead-Stem. So far, i've been using a Syntace
Force88 stem and a Modolo 8x tenos (or so) Handlebar - which flex
considerably under load. Is the 3ttt pro chrome stem (welded from
columbus thron-tubing) any stiffer, what handlebar should i use? Any
suggestions. I will not be able to use trackie parts, as i am a little
impaired in my back.
Thanks a lot, Thorsten from Hamburg, Germany.

If it were me, like the other poster said, I'd get a quill -
threadless stem adapter. There are several options, many on line
sources. Then you could easily change your stem for length, rise,
stiffness, etc. and you could enter the world of "oversize" (31.8 or
31.7 mm) handlebars, which supposedly tend to be stiffer.

On the other hand, some of the quills look awfully nice. One that
really catches my eye is the Cinelli Frog - which has a removable
faceplate and looks cool (IMHO, of course). It looks pretty
substantial, and I'll bet you could get an opinion on stiffness on
www.bikeforums.net, or www.roadbikereview.com.

Good luck!

New handlebar stem D.M. Procida UK 11 March 3rd 08 07:56 PM
Handlebar stem - which way round?? Colin MacDonald UK 3 November 17th 07 10:13 AM
Handlebar stem measurements Rich General 1 May 27th 05 01:12 AM
26.0 vs. 25.4 handlebar clamp on Uno stem meb Techniques 1 May 8th 05 10:22 PM
Looking For A Combination Handlebar, Need Help for Hybrid [email protected] General 6 March 3rd 05 11:48 AM