Freewheel/chain

Old January 23rd 06, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Freewheel/chain

i got one of these screw on 6spd freewheels from ebay & it wors fine,
use it with a 7-8 speed chain. LBS said 9spd chain would work too but
wasn't worth the xtra expense. good luck,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-6-Spee...QQcmdZViewItem

Old January 23rd 06, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

citizen142 wrote:
I want to replace my block and chain. On pension now so money is
tight, last years saw the purchase of a triple chainset so new block
and chain are lined up for the coming Spring. Have been looking at the
online stores and frankly there is so much modern stuff I am totally
lost. It was simple in my day, buy new block, buy new chain and there
wasn't the complexity that there is now.

So here is the question - can anyone point me to a 6 speed freewheel
block and the appropriate chain that will run on a 48/38/28?

Spa Cycles, Harrogate ?
Friendly, and an awful lot more stock than their website shows.
And a lot of stuff for "decent old traditional bikes".
They also have a decent approach to mail order when requiring bits which
might fit old bikes, but equally might have to be returned as not suitable.

Ring and discuss what you are trying to achieve, and the tight budget.

For specific stuff, 6 speeds are getting rarer. Any quality stuff will be
old stock. The chain will be fine with any modern 7/8 speed chain, such as
the SRAM (was Sachs) chain.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old January 24th 06, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Pete Biggs" wrote in
message ...
Doki wrote:
Any idea if a megarange block would fit on an old Raleigh Banana with
Sachs derailleurs?

You may have problems if the derailleur doesn't have a long cage.

Hmm. Bodged Deore and friction shifters ...

Old January 25th 06, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Simon Brooke" wrote
citizen142 ') wrote:

I want to replace my block and chain. On pension now so money is
tight, last years saw the purchase of a triple chainset so new block
and chain are lined up for the coming Spring. Have been looking at the
online stores and frankly there is so much modern stuff I am totally
lost. It was simple in my day, buy new block, buy new chain and there
wasn't the complexity that there is now.

So here is the question - can anyone point me to a 6 speed freewheel
block and the appropriate chain that will run on a 48/38/28?

A 7, 8 or 9 speed chain has the same internal width as a 6 speed and will
work perfectly well. Plenty of six speed blocks still around, ask in
your LBS.

Don't you mean that sprockets have the same width regardless of whether
part of 6, 7, 8 or 9 sets?

I discovered that a 9 chain shifts better on a 6 block than a 6 chain does.
Maybe it is lighter and doesn't whip as much.