How nuts and bolts are made video

Old April 16th 08, 01:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default How nuts and bolts are made video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sJ7BZENIQ
Old April 16th 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 16, 8:12 am, Peter Cole wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sJ7BZENIQ

Without knowing that nuts and bolts are available less expensively
elsewhere, you could appreciate from this video why your local bike
and hardware shop charges so much for a Campagnolo nut or bolt.
Old April 16th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

wrote:
On Apr 16, 8:12 am, Peter Cole wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sJ7BZENIQ

Without knowing that nuts and bolts are available less expensively
elsewhere, you could appreciate from this video why your local bike
and hardware shop charges so much for a Campagnolo nut or bolt.

Wow that was a flashback. Right after I graduated from college, I was
having a hard time finding a real engineering job, so I spent a little
over a year setting up cold heading and thread rolling machines. It's
almost as much art as science.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old April 17th 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
" wrote:

On Apr 16, 8:12 am, Peter Cole wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sJ7BZENIQ

Without knowing that nuts and bolts are available less expensively
elsewhere, you could appreciate from this video why your local bike
and hardware shop charges so much for a Campagnolo nut or bolt.

As the old joke goes, they lose money on every part, but make it up in
volume.

Old April 17th 08, 08:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben C

On 2008-04-17, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article
,
" wrote:

On Apr 16, 8:12 am, Peter Cole wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sJ7BZENIQ

Without knowing that nuts and bolts are available less expensively
elsewhere, you could appreciate from this video why your local bike
and hardware shop charges so much for a Campagnolo nut or bolt.

As the old joke goes, they lose money on every part, but make it up in
volume.

It was interesting to see that the finished bolt and nut were basically
squeezed out of the starting metal as if it were clay. At no point was
anything cut off leaving bits of metal or swarf on the floor to be swept
up and melted down again.

I always assumed nuts were punched from a thick sheet and that to make
the bolt heads you would have to at least cut off the corners. But no.
The way they do it is not only cheaper and more efficient but may also
leave favourable residual stresses of some kind in the finished bolt.
But I have my doubts about that guess because after that they gave the
bolts a couple of good bakings in a hot oven.

I read he
http://www.portlandbolt.com/faqs/rol...-threads-bolts

that one of the advantages of roll threading is that the "cold working on
the threads makes them more resistant to damage during handling".
Wouldn't any cold working effect be reset by the heating in the oven?
Old April 17th 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hobbes@spnb&s.com

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:57:54 -0700, "Bill Sornson" wrote:

Peter Cole wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sJ7BZENIQ

All that and I can strip 'em in two seconds.

You aren't using proper torque spec's. You have to be careful to tighten it
until it just starts to strip and then you back off a little. Then use loctite.

Old April 17th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

Peter Cole wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sJ7BZENIQ

All that and I can strip 'em in two seconds.

You aren't using proper torque spec's. You have to be careful to tighten
it
until it just starts to strip and then you back off a little. Then use
loctite.

You add the loctite _after_ you've already tightened the the fastener?

Old April 18th 08, 07:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dre[_2_]

"still just me" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 12:47:04 -0500, "Carl Sundquist"
wrote:

You aren't using proper torque spec's. You have to be careful to tighten
it
until it just starts to strip and then you back off a little. Then use
loctite.

Sure... if you use it before, it would make it awfully hard to undo
the nut later!

Please tell me you aren't being serious?

You add the loctite _after_ you've already tightened the the fastener?

I'm not going to answer this yet as I think you are all taking the ****

Cheers Dre

Old April 18th 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

On Apr 16, 7:12*am, Peter Cole wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sJ7BZENIQ

Thanks Peter!

'How It's Made' is one of my fav cable TV shows.

I think it is on Discovery Channel but it could be on A&E.

J.

Old April 18th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2008-04-18, Jay wrote:
On Apr 16, 7:12*am, Peter Cole wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sJ7BZENIQ

Thanks Peter!

'How It's Made' is one of my fav cable TV shows.

I think it is on Discovery Channel but it could be on A&E.

It's Discovery, right before Cash Cab in the afternoon. I always
end up with the last 60 seconds of it when I Tivo CC.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Nuts& Bolts Neil Smith UK 4 November 14th 07 10:15 PM
made my first video gordito8me Unicycling 3 January 3rd 07 12:57 PM
Finally my video is made! brownboy13 Unicycling 10 April 9th 06 01:10 PM
made a small video of my practice unicycleboy Unicycling 18 February 5th 06 08:35 PM
HOMEMADE recipes for cleaning NUTS and BOLTS [email protected] UK 5 August 30th 04 09:16 PM