Will an old Shimano RD-1050 6sp work with 8sp cassette?

Old April 16th 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

Default Will an old Shimano RD-1050 6sp work with 8sp cassette?

Will an old Shimano RD-1050 or RD-1055 6 speed rear derailleur from the
90s work with an 8 speed cassette using 8 speed index levers?

Chas.

Old April 16th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 16, 12:09*pm, "* * Chas" wrote:
Will an old Shimano RD-1050 or RD-1055 6 speed rear derailleur from the
90s work with an 8 speed cassette using 8 speed index levers?

AFAIK, anything SIS+ will work short of Dura-Ace. That's a good solid
mech, I've shifted one of those many times, dispensing with clicking
most of the time...boy I miss downtube levers with friction just a
twist away...
Old April 16th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Apr 16, 12:09 pm, "* * Chas" wrote:
Will an old Shimano RD-1050 or RD-1055 6 speed rear derailleur from the
90s work with an 8 speed cassette using 8 speed index levers?

Chas.

Yes. Absolutely. I've done this myself (RD-1050).
Old April 17th 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hobbes@spnb&s.com

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:49:12 -0700 (PDT), landotter wrote:

On Apr 16, 12:09*pm, "* * Chas" wrote:
Will an old Shimano RD-1050 or RD-1055 6 speed rear derailleur from the
90s work with an 8 speed cassette using 8 speed index levers?

AFAIK, anything SIS+ will work short of Dura-Ace. That's a good solid
mech, I've shifted one of those many times, dispensing with clicking
most of the time...boy I miss downtube levers with friction just a
twist away...

That's been my experience as well aside from the odder D-A variants, anything
SIS will work with modern stuff up through 9s. Don't know about shifting 10 with
it.
Old April 18th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills

On Apr 16, 1:30*pm, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On Apr 16, 12:09 pm, "* * Chas" wrote:

Will an old Shimano RD-1050 or RD-1055 6 speed rear derailleur from the
90s work with an 8 speed cassette using 8 speed index levers?

Chas.

Yes. Absolutely. I've done this myself (RD-1050).

Maybe, maybe not. I tried this many years ago and found that the
derailleur did not have enough travel to reach the large cog. It
depends on the thickness of the deraillrrr hanger and spacing from the
hub, I think. The indexing should work, though.

With new 8-speed derailers (note homage to Sheldon) starting at $10
from Nashbar, I think you're better off getting a new shifting thingy
anyway.

Jeff
Old April 18th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

wrote:
On Apr 16, 12:09 pm, "* * Chas" wrote:

Will an old Shimano RD-1050 or RD-1055 6 speed rear derailleur from the
90s work with an 8 speed cassette using 8 speed index levers?

Chas.

Yes. Absolutely. I've done this myself (RD-1050).

Maybe, maybe not. I tried this many years ago and found that the
derailleur did not have enough travel to reach the large cog. It
depends on the thickness of the deraillrrr hanger and spacing from the
hub, I think.

IME, with 'normal' 8sp spacing (Shimano cassette hub), it works fine.
Did you back the "L" limit screw out?

The indexing should work, though.

With new 8-speed derailers (note homage to Sheldon) starting at $10
from Nashbar, I think you're better off getting a new shifting thingy
anyway.

Why buy a cheap replacement derailleur (note proper spelling) when you
have a perfectly functional high quality one?

Old April 18th 08, 05:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

wrote:
On Apr 16, 12:09 pm, "* * Chas" wrote:
[...]

The correct spelling is "dérailleur", not derailleur". "Derailer" is
certainly a better choice than "derailleur" for a written English forum
such as rec.bicycles.tech.

Old April 18th 08, 12:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

wrote:
On Apr 16, 12:09 pm, "* * Chas" wrote:
[...]

The correct spelling is "d�railleur", not derailleur". "Derailer" is
certainly a better choice than "derailleur" for a written English forum
such as rec.bicycles.tech.

Really? Well, let's explore-

First, we'll Google "derailer":

http://tinyurl.com/3rtkvz

(First line: "Do you mean derailleur"!)

Okay, let's Google "derailleur":

http://tinyurl.com/53tjog

That's better!!!!

Now, let's check a dictionary (Dictionary.com):

"Derailer"

http://tinyurl.com/4hzaon

No results for "derailer"......damn!!!

Well, let's try "derailleur":

Ah......that's better!

What's next, Tommy? Wanna try changing the spelling of "wheel", too?
Who needs that pesky "h", anyway?

Enjoy your windmills! ;-)

Old April 18th 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hobbes@spnb&s.com

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 04:06:40 -0700 (PDT), Ozark Bicycle
wrote:

wrote:
On Apr 16, 12:09 pm, "* * Chas" wrote:
[...]

There's no reason to change the spelling of "wheel" it is a perfectly good
English language word. Why do you insist on using a French spelling for some
bike parts? You don't use French for the crankset or chain or any other thing.
Old April 18th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Apr 18, 9:06 am, wrote:
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 04:06:40 -0700 (PDT), Ozark Bicycle

wrote:

wrote:
On Apr 16, 12:09 pm, "* * Chas" wrote:
[...]

If your case of xenophobia precludes the use of the very widely
accepted word "derailleur", try "changer", "mechanism" or even "mech".