Tubeless Revisited

Old August 31st 18, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Tubeless Revisited

On 8/30/2018 5:36 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 10:01:38 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/27/2018 10:51 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 5:14:00 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 6:39:57 PM UTC-4, James wrote:
On 28/08/18 06:02,
wrote:
Did a nice ride yesterday. Did a 1000 foot climb and then was riding
along Foothill towards the town of Sunol when riding under the shade
of a tree I ran over something large. 'Thump, Thump, Thump, Thump". I
reached down with my gloved hand and could feel something large pull
out of the tire. Then something wet on my legs.

I stopped and on the top of the front tire was a spot of the Orange
sealant. "Well," I thought, "Here's where I see if this really
works." Pinching the tires front and back didn't reveal any pressure
difference. But whatever it was that pulled out on contact with my
glove was pretty big.

I simply continued riding. That was about 12 miles into the ride.
When I got home I was at almost 46 miles and over 2,000 feet of
climbing and 6 *&^* piles of broken glass That I was able to avoid. I
think.

This morning the tires are still at the same pressure. I'll see how
it acts tomorrow on a really rough ride.

Did a nice ride yesterday. 95km and 764m vertical meters. No
punctures. No mechanical failures. Just another ride like most other
rides for me.

I suspect the guys running tubeless are the ones who would have had far more
flats if not for their wise purchase.

The guys running super-bright daytime running lights would have had far more
car crashes (from both front and rear) if not for their wise purchase.

The guys using super-loud air horns would have had far more car crashes if not
for their wise purchase.

The guys wearing high viz jerseys would have had far more car crashes if not
for their wise purchase.

The guys wearing helmets would have all been dead several times if not for
their wise purchase.

I'm just SO glad I chose to buy that St. Christopher's medal!

If you're prone to punctures, get puncture resistant tires. So, TK gets good value out of his tubeless. Others may view the value equation differently. I don't think tubeless is laughable or outrageous. It's a reasonable choice based on particular needs or desires, just like tubulars and clinchers.

Oh, I'm not saying it's not reasonable for Tom. I'm just commenting on
human (or bicyclist?) nature.

On another obscure forum, there's one guy who mentions the incredible
value of an eyeglass or helmet mirror every other time he posts. It's
become sort of a running joke.

Many of us are proud purchasers. We have strong tendencies to fixate on
our amazing wisdom regarding equipment choices. Every time they seem to
work, we proclaim our wisdom. Every time they don't work so well - well,
that's just bad luck, so we don't mention it.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I don't have balance anymore so I can't turn my head and look. The eye-glasses mounted rearview mirror is a savior.

Don't get me wrong. I have an eyeglass mirror hanging ready on (almost)
every bike. I even try to remember to use one kayaking, since I'm
usually ahead of my bike.

I'm not disparaging any particular equipment choice. I'm just remarking
on people's love of their favorites.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 31st 18, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

usually ahead of my WIFE'S KAYAK.

I'm not disparaging any particular equipment choice. I'm just remarking
on people's love of their favorites.

Corrected my slip. It should make more sense now.

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 31st 18, 10:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:
[...]

And of course my favorite is better then your favorite :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.