japanese translation of "trials"

Old March 19th 04, 11:03 PM
muniracer

Default japanese translation of "trials"

Today I was trying to determine the japanese translation of the word
"trials" (I am minoring in Japanese FYI) and am not quite sure which
word is best.

1- shiken (trials as in test) or
2- kokoromi (trials as in attempt)

which is better?

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuq25
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

Old March 19th 04, 11:23 PM
daino149

As a person of full Japanese descent, thus qualifying me as an expert, I
can tell you that I have no idea.

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

there ain't enough body armor in the country for me to try that. -- Ken
on the mtbr forum in reference to MUni

Old March 20th 04, 12:10 AM
muniracer

since shiken is usually used as meaning a school test, i think this may
not be best. kokoromi comes from the verb kokoromiru (which is the most
common word for "try"). the problem is that it would be better to use a
less common word for the name of the sport (it wouldnt be as cool to
call "trials" riding "attempt" riding or "try" riding). so another word
may be tameshi (from the verb tamesu). i think kokoromi would be best
since it sounds like kokoro which means heart, or mind, and represents
the soul.

Old March 20th 04, 12:12 AM
Murde Mental

neither, the correct word is in fact:
kokoromishirubiteakwanswansushieskouatonatakonkkuk urukidukiwookie.....

--
Murde Mental - Unicycling Martyr

Owen Kirby- deep fried and delicious...

Murde Mental's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4463

Old March 20th 04, 12:53 AM
johnfoss

I would dig up what the Japanese call Bike Trials, and use that. Surely
that sport exists over there.

Both 'attempt' and 'test' fit well. Though I prefer test, we should go
with existing terminology.

Or ask the Japanese Trials unicyclists, if there are any yet.

--
johnfoss - Home of the Garage Page

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Wow, I'll never complain about hills ever again!" -- Bicyclist on the
American River Bike Path, watching me pass on my Coker on my way to work

Old March 20th 04, 02:27 AM
muniracer

okay, this is my final comment on this pointless thread (maybe).

Upon doing some research, I leared that there is no recognized japanese
word for trials. Japanese has an alphabet specifically for foreign
words and so they are basically just the english words with a japanese
sound. so trials is "toriaru" and unicycle trials is "yunitora" (the
japanese often condense these foreign words so this example combines the
first half of unicycle and trials). this is disappointing since i was
hoping it would be something cool, like kokoromi.

Old March 20th 04, 09:49 PM
mango

muniracer wrote:
*... pointless thread (maybe).
*

I still enjoyed it.

--
mango - unity - as 1 stand together

"I know I'd be willing to spend up to $20 for a set of strong nipples."
-andrew_carter

(sorry buddy, couldnt resist =)

mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

Old March 21st 04, 12:38 AM
onefiftyfour

my bet is that they use the word 'trials'. except the 'L' is probably
pronounced like an 'R'.

the japanese word for tape recorder is "taperecorder" or something like
that. 'here's an interesting related site'
(http://home.att.net/~keiichiro/janglish/list.html)

if i'm correct, do i win something?

-eric

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

Old March 21st 04, 04:01 AM
gerblefranklin

The verb in Thai of "to get thoroughly wet" is "soak". Aint that weird?

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?

Old March 21st 04, 04:07 AM
Sofa

I'm not sure I follow...

are you saying Japanese people have their own language, then a secondary
language consisting of 'japanesed' foreign words?

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'It really doesn't matter, because in a few years, you will have every
size made' - chirokid's response to 20" or 24"?

'I'm sorry if I offended anyone but I don't apologize' - paco

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/unicycleReviews.aspx) *88* reviews on
*60* products

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)