Trek T900 Tandem gearing

Old April 19th 05, 02:37 PM
Pedantus

Default Trek T900 Tandem gearing

We have put 100 miles on this, our first, tandem, and it seems to us that
the 48/38/28 Truvativ crankset is fine for around town but not really what
we need for climbing the local hills.
http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/road/t900.jsp
What is the correct crankset, for this particular bike, to lower the entire
range? Typically we have to climb 800-1000 feet over a run of 2.5 to 3.5
miles no matter what direction we choose around here. This may not seem
like much to some, but my wife has had a total hip replacement and prefers
the compact crankset I put on her geezer step-through bike...

Thanks,

Rog

Old April 20th 05, 02:54 AM
Ted

"Pedantus" wrote:

We have put 100 miles on this, our first, tandem, and it seems to us that
the 48/38/28 Truvativ crankset is fine for around town but not really what
we need for climbing the local hills.
http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/road/t900.jsp
What is the correct crankset, for this particular bike, to lower the entire
range? Typically we have to climb 800-1000 feet over a run of 2.5 to 3.5
miles no matter what direction we choose around here. This may not seem
like much to some, but my wife has had a total hip replacement and prefers
the compact crankset I put on her geezer step-through bike...

Thanks,

Rog

Your tandem came supplied with a 32 tooth largest sprocket on the rear.
That, coupled with the 28 on the front, gives a pretty low gear but if
that isn't low enough for you, the easiest thing to do is replace the 28
with something smaller. That may or not be feasible, depending on the
circle defined by the ring's bolt circle. A quick glance at it suggests
to me that you might be able to go a couple of teeth smaller.

If that isn't enough, then you need to fit a larger sprocket on the
rear. You can go up to a 34 tooth sprocket, but you will need to change
the rear derailleur to a Megarange.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland, OR
Old April 20th 05, 12:54 PM
Pedantus

"Ted" wrote in message
"Pedantus" wrote:

[...]

Yeah...I think thats what I'd like to try first.

If that isn't enough, then you need to fit a larger sprocket on the
rear. You can go up to a 34 tooth sprocket, but you will need to change
the rear derailleur to a Megarange.

It's a long cage deraillure they have on there already. Guess will have
to get a 13-34 8 speed Sheldon custom touring cassette...

--
Ted Bennett
Portland, OR