10-speed chain with XTR crankset?

Old November 4th 04, 03:16 AM
harv

"Sheldon Brown" wrote in message
om...
ndSlow (Guess Who I Am) wrote:
let me correct myself.
you can use a 10sp chain on all 7,8,9 and 10sp.
but you CANNOT use a 9sp chain for 10sp use as well as 8 can't be used
for 9sp.
Thank you Earl
GRR,RANS V2
Ti Rush,Ti Pursuit

Jeff Wills replied:

You're wrong, Earl. 9- and 10-speed sprockets are thinner than 7- and
8-speed. See my other post for Sheldon Brown's sprocket and spacer
thickness chart.

I'm not sure which part of the AOLers message Jeff thinks is "wrong"
but I don't believe it is.

The 9- and 10-speed sprockets are thinner in the middle, but there's
no difference in the thickness of the teeth.

Sheldon "Bicycle Dentist" Brown
Newtonville, Massachusetts
| If you haven't yet discovered the novels |
| of Neal Stephenson, don't wait! |
| Start with Snow Crash or Quicksilver |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Hey Earl, maybe you should get a viking helmets too. Then you might get some
respect. Just don't wear a clock around your neck unless you're partial to
huge blond women. )

yer bud, older fatter and slower, but much cuter, harv

Old November 4th 04, 03:30 AM
Tom Sherman

harv wrote:

Hey Earl, maybe you should get a viking helmets too. Then you might get some
respect. Just don't wear a clock around your neck unless you're partial to
huge blond women. )

yer bud, older fatter and slower, but much cuter, harv

Harv,

That helmet would go well with Earl's special cycling outfit (the one
Barb and Wendy gave to him).

--
Tom Sherman
Feingold-Obama 2008

Old November 5th 04, 05:28 AM
Jeff Wills

(Sheldon Brown) wrote in message . com...
I'm not sure which part of the AOLers message Jeff thinks is "wrong"
but I don't believe it is.

The 9- and 10-speed sprockets are thinner in the middle, but there's
no difference in the thickness of the teeth.

OK, now I'm really confused, Sheldon. There's a chart on your page:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_sp-ss.html
that says Shimano 10-speed cogs are 1.6mm thick with a 2.35mm spacer
between them. That same chart says that Shimano 9-speed cogs are
1.78mm thick with a 2.56mm spacer.

This *implies* that the 10-speed chain is substantially narrower
between the inner plates than a 9-speed chain, making it difficult or
impossible to run a Shimano 10-speed chain on the OP's 9-speed XTR
chainrings.

What am I missing?

Jeff
Old November 5th 04, 05:17 PM
Eric Jorgensen

On 4 Nov 2004 21:28:32 -0800
(Jeff Wills) wrote:

(Sheldon Brown) wrote in message
. com...
I'm not sure which part of the AOLers message Jeff thinks is "wrong"
but I don't believe it is.

The 9- and 10-speed sprockets are thinner in the middle, but there's
no difference in the thickness of the teeth.

OK, now I'm really confused, Sheldon. There's a chart on your page:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_sp-ss.html
that says Shimano 10-speed cogs are 1.6mm thick with a 2.35mm spacer
between them. That same chart says that Shimano 9-speed cogs are
1.78mm thick with a 2.56mm spacer.

This *implies* that the 10-speed chain is substantially narrower
between the inner plates than a 9-speed chain, making it difficult or
impossible to run a Shimano 10-speed chain on the OP's 9-speed XTR
chainrings.

What am I missing?

My take on that is that he is referring to the size with regard to
building up custom cassettes, and that the 10 speed cogs and spacers are
just milled differently, but this could be made clearer.

The concept here is that the interior dimensions of the links remain
the same, but the outer edges of the chain obviously have to be slightly
more streamlined to fit between the closer spaced but still the same tooth
size cogs.

Got me how they do it. I have noticed, for example, that SRAM PC-58
chain as compared to, say KMC Z-72 chain, seems to have a smoother profile,
even though both chains are advertised as being for 8 speed cogs and as
being HG and IG compatible, and both work quite acceptably on 8 speed
configurations. I imagine there is more that can be done. Perhaps the
plates are thinner and the pins slightly shorter?

I imagine if you took a 10 speed chain and held it next to a 9 speed
chain and an 8 speed chain from the same maker, the differences would
become obvious, and that you could easily measure said differences with a
$20 set of chinese digital calipers from harbor freight.

I still question the need for more cogs than maybe 7 given the same
lowest and highest cog, but to each his own. I'm happy with my 8 speed
setup, especially considering how cheaply the parts go on ebay, now that
it's been rendered entirely ghetto by the advent of 10 speed cogs.

My brother-in-law rides an aluminum comfort bike with a single 34 tooth
chain ring and a 7 speed 12-28 cassette in the back. Couldn't be happier
and spent all of $98 on the thing. I went for a ride with him a few weeks
ago and was afraid he might slow down so much I might have to drop into one
of those gears where it becomes tricky to keep my swb 'bent vertical . . .

Old November 5th 04, 09:46 PM
Sheldon Brown

Quoth Jeff Wils:

OK, now I'm really confused, Sheldon. There's a chart on your page:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_sp-ss.html
that says Shimano 10-speed cogs are 1.6mm thick with a 2.35mm spacer
between them. That same chart says that Shimano 9-speed cogs are
1.78mm thick with a 2.56mm spacer.

This *implies* that the 10-speed chain is substantially narrower
between the inner plates than a 9-speed chain, making it difficult or
impossible to run a Shimano 10-speed chain on the OP's 9-speed XTR
chainrings.

What am I missing?

No, you _inferred_ that. My site has no specific info on the inner
width of chains, this is not an easy thing to measure.

In my experience they're all pretty much interchangeable.

I only own one bike with a 10-speed cassette. That bike is using an
18-year old Sugino crank with Shimano Biopace chainrings, 52, 42 & 28
teeth. This crank and chainrings are from when 7-speed cassettes were
the latest and greatest.

They work fine with my 10-speed chain.

Sheldon "3/32" Brown
Newtonville, Massachusetts
| Always listen to the experts. |
| They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. |
| Then do it. --Robert A. Heinlein |
Old November 6th 04, 11:37 PM
Tom Sherman

Jeff Wills wrote:

So, what kind of chain have you got there, Mr. Brown? 8-)

Here are some of the chains that Mr. Brown has.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/chains.html.

--
Tom Sherman – Greater QCA

Old November 8th 04, 01:52 AM
Jeff Wills

Tom Sherman wrote in message ...
Jeff Wills wrote:

So, what kind of chain have you got there, Mr. Brown? 8-)

Here are some of the chains that Mr. Brown has.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/chains.html.

Aw, geez... OK...

Mr. Sheldon Brown, please tell us what kind of chain you have on the
bicycle (trike?) that has the Biopace chainrings and 10-speed
cassette.

Cut me a slab of slack, Tom. 8-?

Jeff