Q: Broken Collarbone

Old August 17th 04, 10:50 AM
Jim Smith

"Allen Thompson" writes:

I broke my collarbone yesterday. I went to the emergency room and they took
x-rays. They tell me it's broken and possible (out of socket?). The pain has
surprisingly not been that bad. I can't go to orthopedic surgeon until
Thursday. I really don't want to have surgery. Is surgery elective. What are
things to consider about that. How long were you off the bike? Your
experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You really have to wait and see what the orthopod has to say. There are a
bunch of different "flavors" of collar bone fractures. Most of them
do not require surgery, but it is impossible to tell over the internet which
sort you have got.

Also sounds like you are describing an acromioclavicular dislocation in
addition to the fracture (out of socket at the point of your shoulder).
There are multiple flavors of these too, with only the minority requiring
surgery.

Now, even though most of these injuries do not require surgery, there is no
way for you to know what your particular injury requires until you see the
surgeon on Thursday.
Old August 19th 04, 05:33 AM
ron

I agree fully. The surgeon can assess the need for an operation. I had an
AC joint separation (level 5 severity out of 6) from a traffic accident in
June. At first they planned to operate, then at the door to the operating
room another surgeon decided not to operate. My question to a different
surgeon who saw me later was along the line -- will the clavicle/AC joint be
stronger and less painful with the operation or without? Which will get me
back on my bike sooner? What about competitive cross country skiing this
winter? Which approach will give me a stronger joint and take the abuse
that poling can give the shoulders? (I know a woman who had a bad AC joint
separation at least a year ago and she is still in considerable discomfort
when cycling.) In my case, they again decided to operate and I have made
steady and full recovery with the help of physio.

So, my main point is to question anything the surgeon or others tell you.
You're the one who will have to live with the result. Each person and their
injury is different.

Good luck,
Ron

PS: I know a few people who have had clavicle injuries and recovered nicely
without an operation. My physio tells me that very few people she treats
for such injuries have had an operation. It's up to you and the surgeon!

Old August 19th 04, 04:27 PM
Bruce Jackson

"ron" wrote in message ...
I agree fully. The surgeon can assess the need for an operation. I had an
AC joint separation (level 5 severity out of 6) from a traffic accident in
June. At first they planned to operate, then at the door to the operating
room another surgeon decided not to operate. My question to a different
surgeon who saw me later was along the line -- will the clavicle/AC joint be
stronger and less painful with the operation or without? Which will get me
back on my bike sooner? What about competitive cross country skiing this
winter? Which approach will give me a stronger joint and take the abuse
that poling can give the shoulders? (I know a woman who had a bad AC joint
separation at least a year ago and she is still in considerable discomfort
when cycling.) In my case, they again decided to operate and I have made
steady and full recovery with the help of physio.

In my case the orthopaedic surgeon actually misdiagnosed my AC
shoulder separation! After my crash I walked to a clinic but I got
there just a they were closing so they told me I had to go to an
ER. I started to walk and they told me they weren't going to let
me walk to the hospital; if I didn't have someone who could drive
me they were calling an ambulence. I called a friend who closed
his bike shop early to drive me.

When I got to the ER I overheard a nurse on the other side of the
room comment that I had an AC shoulder separation. My clavical
stuck up about an inch above my shoulder so it was plainly visible
even with my shirt on. A doctor saw me and said it was probably
an AC separation but called for X-Rays and an orthopaedic surgeon
consultation. The X-Ray tech screwed up my X-Ray such that the
separation wasn't visible so when the ortho came he looked at the
film and said it was just a sprain even though I was sitting right
in front of him with my shirt off and my clavical pointing up (and
doctors wonder why there is so many malpractice suits). They sent
me on my way with a sling and a script for pain pills.

A few weeks later I saw my usual doctor and he informed me that I
did have an AC shoulder separation. My clavical migrated back
down but it was (and still is 20 years later) sitting on top of
the AC joint. I had most of my range of motion back by then but I
couldn't lift much weight yet. At the time the doctor said that
they usually operate on women who have AC shoulder separations but
not men unless absolutely necessary. I asked why and he said that
since women's clothes don't always cover the shoulder a crooked
collar bone is an aesthetic problem for women but not really for
men.

After I healed up I haven't any more problems with it other than
looking a little funny when I have my shirt off.
--
Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company