Adjustable stem

Old August 8th 04, 10:37 PM
Mark Jones

Default Adjustable stem

Does anyone know how hard it would be to convert a Trek 7700
to an adjustable rise stem? I like the 7700 a lot, but I need a
more upright riding position due to persistent neck problems.
I would have the LBS do this at the time of purchase if this
isn't a real difficult or expensive conversion.

I have looked for a high quality comfort type bike, but they
just do not seem to exist. I wouldn't mind having something
that is even higher quality than the 7700 in this type of bike
if such a thing was readily available.

Old August 8th 04, 11:23 PM
Mark Jones

Subject: Adjustable stem
From: "Mark Jones"
Date: 8/8/2004 4:37 PM US Eastern Standard Time

Does anyone know how hard it would be to convert a Trek 7700
to an adjustable rise stem? I like the 7700 a lot, but I need a
more upright riding position due to persistent neck problems.
I would have the LBS do this at the time of purchase if this
isn't a real difficult or expensive conversion.

I have looked for a high quality comfort type bike, but they
just do not seem to exist. I wouldn't mind having something
that is even higher quality than the 7700 in this type of bike
if such a thing was readily availabl

I just bought a 7700 FX and it rides like a magic carpet. What are your
complaints??

I would like the bar to be several inches higher than the
seat due to spinal problems in my neck. I can't tolerate
riding a bicycle very far when the handle bars are too low.

I would like a lightweight bicycle with a more upright
riding position that can handle a little abuse from riding
on multi-purpose urban trails. The traditional comfort bikes
are just to cheaply made and too heavy. I want something
that I just haven't seen anywhere.

Where I ride, there are quite a few wooden bridges that cross
back and forth across a creek. That is why I want the suspension
that comes on the 7700. I have a Trek 1200 that acts like it is
about to break when I hit the seam between the pavement
and bridge. I ride a Raleigh SC40 on this trail, but it is like
riding a tank. I want something that is built really well, but
a lot lighter.

The Trek 1200 is great for riding on city street and came with
a horizontal handle bar. I installed upright bar ends so I can
rest my neck if it starts to get sore from riding in a low position.
I could do this on the 7700, but I would prefer to install a riser.

Old August 8th 04, 11:27 PM
RWM

"Mark Jones" wrote in message
news
Does anyone know how hard it would be to convert a Trek 7700
to an adjustable rise stem? I like the 7700 a lot, but I need a
more upright riding position due to persistent neck problems.
I would have the LBS do this at the time of purchase if this
isn't a real difficult or expensive conversion.

I have looked for a high quality comfort type bike, but they
just do not seem to exist. I wouldn't mind having something
that is even higher quality than the 7700 in this type of bike
if such a thing was readily available.

It is easy to swap the stem to an adjustable, or higher stem. You might
have to re-cable to get the height that you want.

Old August 9th 04, 12:38 AM
Mark Jones

"Steve-o" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 15:27:31 -0700, "RWM" wrote:

"Mark Jones" wrote:
Does anyone know how hard it would be to convert a Trek 7700
to an adjustable rise stem? I like the 7700 a lot, but I need a
more upright riding position due to persistent neck problems.

It is easy to swap the stem to an adjustable, or higher stem. You might
have to re-cable to get the height that you want.

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/citybike/7700.jsp
This year's 7700 includes an adjustable stem.

If the one you're looking at doesn't have one for some reason, RWM
speakes the truth above. I had an adjustable for a while and had to
re-cable, but it was an easy swap and the stem was great. I'd still
be using it, but I found a lighter and more elegant-looking Nitto stem
that matched the settings that the adjustable gave me.

FWIW, I've also become a possibly annoying advocate for the North Road
bar, if you're not afraid of looking like a geek of my caliber:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/handlebars.html
(first bars on the page)

They can raise the hand position up from that of flat bars, but
regardless of how high they are set, they allow the wrists a more
natural position than on flat bars, which in turn allows me to keep my
elbows in, which in turn keeps my shoulders in a more comfortable
position, which in turn keeps my back from rounding, which in turn
relieves tension on my neck. YMMV.

Folks will also point out that riding on the hoods on drop bars allows
the same alignment benefits, and they'll be correct.

Thanks to both of you for the assistance. I will have to talk
this over with the bike mechanics at the LBS and see if they
have the right parts to do this conversion. I am more concerned
about getting a bike that is set up the way I want it than I am
about the cost.

Old August 9th 04, 12:44 AM
Mark Jones

"Steve-o" wrote in message
"Mark Jones" wrote:
Does anyone know how hard it would be to convert a Trek 7700
to an adjustable rise stem? I like the 7700 a lot, but I need a
more upright riding position due to persistent neck problems.

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/citybike/7700.jsp
This year's 7700 includes an adjustable stem.

I would like a stem and handlebar similar to what is on
the Trek Navigator 300. I will talk the guys at the LBS
and see how much trouble this would be.

By the time I get done buying bicycles, I may end up with
4 or 5 instead of the 2 that I have now. There really isn't
such a thing as one perfect bicycle for all uses.

Old August 9th 04, 02:00 AM
RWM

"Mark Jones" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Mark Jones" wrote:
[...]

about the cost." If you have the money, I think that is a great solution.
I love riding my bike and getting the correct setup greatly improved the
amount of time I spent riding. The stem is an easy fix and your LBS should
be able to get you on the road quickly.

You are also correct that once you get the bug new bikes keep coming home
with you.

Old August 20th 04, 01:27 PM
Doug Goncz

The Nashbar Adjustable Stem allows variation from -20 to +40 degrees and is
solidly built. However, it does not adjust every five degrees. Mine seems to
adjust every 15. Or maybe it's ten. It's not the graduated five degrees, I am
sure. That's too fine a pitch. Or maybe I don't have the touch. Once adjusted,
it is as solid as a rock. I should count those splines....

I use mine as a generator mount on the recumbent and another as a conventional
adjustable stem on my Peugot mountain bike. The stem uses a sound, strong, four
bolt handlebar cap which is milled out in the center and looks real spiffy that
way. You might want something with a little more substantial cap for tough
riding. Not that my handlebars have ever slipped with this stem. I think the
hollowing out provides more of a tensioned stretch effect, and is as effective,
compared to the clamping effect of a beefy cap. Actually, I think they spent
too much money on the cap. But some buyers want that nice front look. The guts
are really solid. It fits 1 1/8 with no shim, I think....

ftp://users.aol.com/DGoncz/Bicycle/ACMotorGenerator/

08/06/2004 04:32AM 187,251 IMG_1701.JPG
08/06/2004 04:34AM 3,885,380 MVI_1702.AVI
08/06/2004 04:32AM 6,809 MVI_1702.THM
08/06/2004 04:36AM 1,617,920 MVI_1703.AVI
08/06/2004 04:32AM 6,868 MVI_1703.THM

http://users.aol.com/DGoncz/Bicycle/...r/IMG_1701.JPG

Just look at that ten pound 110 VAC ceiling fan motor core hanging from the
stem! Dead weight is no problem for this hardware.

It is available in three reaches. I use the shortest to reduce the lever arm on
the dead weight. You'll probably want the longest, to provide maximum neck
relief.

Nashbar sells an extension, too, I think.

Does the cubit rule apply to the OP, having neck problems, or would a more
compact, upright posture having _less_ than a cubit between saddle nose and bar
be most appropriate?

My "comfort bike" is a Thunderbolt, as you can see in the AVI files.

Yours,
Doug Goncz ( ftp://users.aol.com/DGoncz/incoming )
Student member SAE for one year.
I love: Dona, Jeff, Kim, Mom, Neelix, Tasha, and Teri, alphabetically.
I drive: A double-step Thunderbolt with 657% range.