ticking noise in disc brake wheel

Old August 19th 04, 08:47 PM
Rich Conroy

Default ticking noise in disc brake wheel

Here's yet another maddening ticking noise problem.

The nature of the tick: happens frequently, but randomly. Happens
both during pedalling and coasting, but more during pedalling.
Sometimes stops briefly, then starts again, randomly. I've even heard
it while walking the bike.

It's not the magnet or the disk hitting anything, nor is it the
computer sensor making it's soft ticking sound.

Here's my setup:

Rims: Mavic CXP 21
Hubs: Magura Louise Pro (which are a high flange hub)
32 butted spokes, laced in a cross 4 pattern (the pattern might be a
culprit, since each pulling spoke crosses part of an adjacent spoke's
head before "leaving" the hub?). All "pulling" spokes (spokes that
point backward from the hub) have their heads facing to the inside of
the hub.
Brakes & Fork: Avid Mechanical on a Winwood Carbon Fork.

What I've already tried: I tightened the spokes, and they seem right
(I don't have a tensiometer), but that did not eliminate the problem.

The back wheel has the same parts setup and lacing pattern, but
doesn't "tick" me off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rich
Old August 19th 04, 09:04 PM
Craig

Here's yet another maddening ticking noise problem.

The nature of the tick: happens frequently, but randomly. Happens
both during pedalling and coasting, but more during pedalling.
Sometimes stops briefly, then starts again, randomly. I've even heard
it while walking the bike.

Rims: Mavic CXP 21
Hubs: Magura Louise Pro (which are a high flange hub)

..

This same question ends up here about twice a week. Your Mavic rims are
most likely the guilty party. I had the dreaded "tick" on my Mavics start
up about 2 years ago. The FIX: a drop of your favorite chain lube in every
spoke eyelet. You may have to repeat every once in a while, depending on
how much wet riding you do (water displaces the oil).

I did the drop of oil trick last summer and the tick didn't return until
June this year. Almost thought my wheels were cured........good luck.

Old August 19th 04, 09:10 PM

Rich Conroy writes:

Here's yet another maddening ticking noise problem.

The nature of the tick: happens frequently, but randomly. Happens
both during pedalling and coasting, but more during pedalling.
Sometimes stops briefly, then starts again, randomly. I've even
heard it while walking the bike.

Not having heard the sound myself, I can think of two sources of
random sharp clicks, water in the wheel bearing and spoke nipple to
rim interface, both cause by rust. A wheel bearing that ingested a
little water will have brownish lubricant and golden colored bearing
balls. Wiping races and balls clean and re-lubricating will fix that.
The other is causes by rust in spoke sockets, not visible on
inspection. This can be fixed by putting a drop of motor oil between
spoke nipples and rim sockets and rotating the nipples back and forth
a small amount that is too little to change spoke adjustment.

That is, it this is really coming from the wheel.

Jobst Brandt

Old August 19th 04, 10:04 PM
daveornee

Rich Conroy Wrote:
[...]

Hub bearings sometimes rattle & rim eyelets clic
but..........................
It also could be a loose rim joint support or some other loose materia
inside the rim.
I have seen both and fixed both.
I injected a small amount of epoxy into small holes I drilled in th
inside rim wall near the joint to remedy the first problem I mention.
However, before doing that, rule out all other possible sources... an
make sure exactly where the clicking noise is coming from.
Loose material inside the rim cavity can be shaken/bounced out throug
the backside of the spoke holes in single eyeletted rims or through th
valve hole in eyeletted and socketed rims. There is often some aluminu
material trapped inside the rim from the 66 some odd holes that ar
drilled in it (or other sources). You will need to take the tire/tub
and rim strip of non-socketed rims, but you won't need to pull the ri
strip from socketed rims as the valve hole is the only passage out. I
the trapped material is a long spiral piece, it make not easily fal
out, but can be pulled out with a needle-nose or similar instrument.
You may need to look in the hole(s) with a flashlight to see th
undesired material

--
daveornee

Old August 20th 04, 03:56 PM
Rich Conroy

(Rich Conroy) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Thanks all, for your responses. I discovered yesterday that the
ticking sound comes from 1 part of the rim: while walking the bike
and putting pressure on the handle bar, the wheel made a nice "tick"
most of the time at the point where the seam/decal area of the rim
reached the bottom of the rotation. Could it be that there is
something wrong with the seam/joint? I'm thinking of replacing the
rim with something else.

This hub has cartridge bearings, but at this point I think it has
something to do with the joint area of the rim.

Regards,
Rich

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
disc brake question N Grover Mountain Biking 16 December 9th 03 06:43 AM
Coker and Flywheel effect Klaas Bil Unicycling 53 October 31st 03 11:40 PM
*Edit Me* - New FAQ addition on brake squeal. ant Techniques 1 July 23rd 03 06:52 AM