Removing levers from drop bars

Old September 21st 05, 08:04 PM
Doki

Default Removing levers from drop bars

I've got an old Weinmann lever on my Raleigh banana. The widget that holds
the cable end is slightly bent, so I want to get the lever off, and make it
slightly straight. Can I take it off just by undoing the allen bolt, or do I
need to take the bar tape off too?

Old September 21st 05, 08:28 PM
David Martin

Doki wrote:
I've got an old Weinmann lever on my Raleigh banana. The widget that holds
the cable end is slightly bent, so I want to get the lever off, and make it
slightly straight. Can I take it off just by undoing the allen bolt, or do I
need to take the bar tape off too?

That depends. It should be possible to just undo the allen bolt all the
way and the lever will come off.
However....
Getting it back on may be interesting if there is a nut that cannot be
located in the right place while the band is on the bars.

You pays yer money and takes yer chances..

...d

Old September 21st 05, 10:24 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Doki
') wrote:

I've got an old Weinmann lever on my Raleigh banana. The widget that
holds the cable end is slightly bent, so I want to get the lever off,
and make it slightly straight. Can I take it off just by undoing the
allen bolt, or do I need to take the bar tape off too?

You can take it off without removing the tape. If you're very, very
careful, you can get it back on again without needing to retape the
bars, but don't count on it.

;; If you're doing this for fun, do what seems fun. If you're
;; doing it for money, stop now.
;; Rainer Deyke