C & O Trail

Old June 2nd 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default C & O Trail

Well, three years and a quarter since posting this thread, I am finally
taking this trip. I think I've got everything planned out - distances
travelled each day (only 30-35 miles/day), camp sites I'll be using,
meals planned including restuarants and minimarts I'll be stopping at
along the way (allowing me to carry just a day or two of food at a
time).

I was sorta hoping to have my new coker in time for the trip, but I
think my trusty 700c will be fine considering the slow pace I've set
for myself (184 miles in 6 days).

I'm doing this alone and unsupported (and un-health insured, yikes!)
but I'll of course have a cell phone and in any case the C&O is a
heavily trafficked trail. I'm starting Monday, June 5, and hopefully
arriving in Cumberland, MD (the end) on Saturday, June 10 in time to
catch the shuttle back to D.C.

I'll be passing by an internet cafe on Tuesday so I'll update you guys
on my progress then.

-Frank

--
hell-on-wheel

On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

Old June 2nd 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Id consider joining you for this, but I cannot take off that much work
right now. Good luck and let me know how it goes. How are you packing
your tent and equipment? Are you using a backpack or something else?

--
siafirede

'Claws Out (my band)' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsoutva)

'Myspace' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout)
siafirede's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6057

Old June 2nd 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Tent, sleepingbag, towel and few other items will be in a waterproof bag
stowed under my seat. I'll also be wearing a medium-sized camelpack
for food and other stuff.

Old June 2nd 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Good Luck Frank.
Have a great ride.

Adam

--
JustOneWheel

There is no better way to have Fun and Exercise. "UNICYCLE"
Every one should have "FUN ON ONE"
JustOneWheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9237

Old June 2nd 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Frank,

Shoot me an email I may be able to help on a ride back to VA from
cumberland, I will be headed that direction anyway.

Good luck on the trip.
Mike
unicyclemike(at)gmail(dot)com

--
Checkernuts

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H2O

* -------muni militia -------
one wheeled death squad*
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

Old June 2nd 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Checkernuts wrote:
Shoot me an email...

Shot.

Old June 3rd 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Be sure to take some pictures of your setup, I am curious as to how it
will look with all of that stuff stowed under the seat.

Old June 3rd 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

siafirede wrote:
Be sure to take some pictures of your setup, I am curious as to how it
will look with all of that stuff stowed under the seat.

It's not very well engineered. I just attached my U-lock to the crown
with a small nylon strap from one of my toe-clipped pedals, and hang
the other end from two larger nylon straps attached at the seat base.
I'll try and borrow my roommate's camera tonight after work.

Old June 6th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Okay, I'm in Brunswick, MD, a quaint little town with 7 churches and an
internet cafe. Everything is going pretty good so far. Back/crotch
are of course a little sore, but the pain is managable. The nature is
amazing - I chased a deer along the trail for a couple yards before it
bounded into the forest. I was chased and hissed at by a mother goose
when I rode between her and her baby. Oh, and a tree fell in the
forest and I heard it...I guess that means I'm somebody. Forgot to
bring a camera, there's probably a disposable one somewhere in this
town. Alright, my time is almost up, I'll update when I get back,
hopefully with some pictures. Wish me luck!
-Frank

P.S. Great Falls, MD is really awesome! I recommend anyone in the
region to go see it, unicycle or not.

Old June 6th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Go Frank. I look forward to hearing your about your experiences along
the trail.

--
pdc

"What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
mother"

Come Ride: http://tinyurl.com/hq49e
pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

Dakota Ridge Trail [ratings are severe] - Denver, Colorado [email protected] Mountain Biking 24 December 5th 05 06:24 PM
Troy's Excellent D.C. to Pittsburgh NBG Adventure Cycle America General 0 May 24th 05 11:04 PM
Katy Trail,RR TBGibb Rides 2 December 10th 04 03:05 AM
Katy Trail,RR TBGibb Rides 0 December 10th 04 01:30 AM
RR Guelph Hiking Trail - Very Long Robert Schultz Mountain Biking 0 July 21st 03 05:12 AM