Question for John Childs!!!

Old October 6th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Beener

Default Question for John Childs!!!

Hey John, I searched the threads for Giraffe skills and cam across your
post about the Giraffe Skills at Unicycle Central. I am pretty sure
that I could do up to 7-3, maybe 7-4. Is it possible to video myself
doing the skills and send it somewhere to have a grade done on it, or
do I have to go to a convention or something where there are judges.

I am really trying to push my giraffe skills lately and although I
don't do a lot of freestyle on a regular uni, I have secured an indoor
facility to work on stuff during the winter. Both regular and giraffe.

--
Beener

I got your "G" right here!!!!!
Beener's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3817

Old October 6th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
flyer

if you don't mind my asking - where did you secure this facility? I'm
looking for the same sort of thing, and I've been looking around but so
far, no dice.

--
flyer
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

Old October 6th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

The skill levels at Carol McLean's 'Unicycle Central'
(http://tinyurl.com/cwv63) are a work in progress and a proposal for a
new set of skill levels to replace the current 1-10 skill level system.
The new system include separate divisions for freestyle, technical,
giraffes, ultimate wheels, and others.

I don't know the status of the new skill level system or how far they
are in development. They're not official so there is no official
judging for them yet. Nowhere to officially send in videos to get
officially judged.

You can go through the new levels and use them as a basis for learning.
Then send in your opinions on the system for improvements or other
comments.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Dirty Muni
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Old October 6th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomblackwood

I really think this thread needs to serve a larger purpose. It would not
be fair to let it die off just because the initial question has been
answered. Let this thread now serve as the vehicle to address specific
questions -only- to John Childs. For those times when no one else's
expertise will do.

JC: In your view, what is the proper beer to miles ratio when
participating in a moderate- to long-distance _urban_ coker ride? I
stress urban with the assumption that pubs or restaurants will be
available essentially "on demand" at any part of the ride.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tom

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...

UNICYCLING to fight Multiple Sclerosis...click 'here'
(http://tinyurl.com/px9q9) to help.

Old October 6th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

tomblackwood wrote:
JC: In your view, what is the proper beer to miles ratio when
participating in a moderate- to long-distance _urban_ coker ride? I
stress urban with the assumption that pubs or restaurants will be
available essentially "on demand" at any part of the ride.

The limiting factors on such a ride are the necessity for more bathroom
breaks, the necessity of finding an available public restroom when you
need it, and making sure you never exceed the legal BAC for operating a
vehicle. It becomes a mater of optimizing within those constraints.

Old October 7th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
U-Turn

john_childs wrote:
The limiting factors on such a ride are the necessity for more bathroom
breaks, the necessity of finding an available public restroom when you
need it, and making sure you never exceed the legal BAC for operating a
vehicle. It becomes a mater of optimizing within those constraints.

Hmm isn't this the -constraint set -for the proper -procedure -for
developing the optimal ratio? I think Tom was asking for the proper
ratio itself.

--
U-Turn

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Old October 7th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomblackwood

Dave is correct that I was looking for some hard numbers, but as a true
teacher, John is teaching me to drink rather than just giving me a
drink.

Back on topic: John, will you be going on today's ride at St. Ed's?

Old October 7th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
U-Turn

tomblackwood wrote:
Dave is correct that I was looking for some hard numbers, but as a true
teacher, John is teaching me to drink rather than just giving me a
drink.

Sounds fishy to me.

Old October 8th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

tomblackwood wrote:
Back on topic: John, will you be going on today's ride at St. Ed's?

I think I missed it.
I'll be Seattle side on Sunday for a performance at the Seattle Center.

Old October 8th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UniBrier

John,

Were you at the The Great 'Port Townsend' (http://www.ptguide.com/)
'Kinetic Sculpture Race' (http://tinyurl.com/p9rv3) that started today?

Edit: Are there any unicycle entries? (this is RSU after all)

--
UniBrier

Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is to hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just
stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go
inside and watch TV.” – Homer
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404