Schlumpf Owners

Old January 30th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
daveyearp

Default Schlumpf Owners

I would be grateful for some user feedback from owners of the geared 29”
geared schlumpf. At the age of 47 and now in my fifth month of my new
life on one wheel and have progressed to a KH24 muni, “Nessie”, which I
love, however I now feel the need to up the mileage on my daily lunch
break and am considering a schlumpf. Would be very pleased to receive
some general feedback and views from schlumpf owners on their
machines.. cheers in advance ...Davey.

--
daveyearp
daveyearp's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13663

Old January 30th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian MacKenzie

The schlumpf has all the speed advantage of a coker and then some on
flat pavement, but because it still has the smaller 29" wheel, you
still have to be mindful of going 'coker speed' on a 29" wheel.

if i did it over, i would get the schlumpf 36"

I find the best part isn't the fast, dangerous top speed, but the fact
that I can go very speedily down the road and have my legs pedalling at
a very comfortable speed.

I don't shift it too much, I pretty much ride it in 44" mode all the
time. It's like mounting a coker with short cranks doing it that way.

I got 150's with my 29" and they seem to be great for geared up, but
way too slow for geared down.

also, I was pleased to see the Schlumpf frame looks way cooler in real
life than pics of it

--
Brian MacKenzie

DVDs now available from www.LBMmultimedia.com :
'NAUCC 2006' (http://tinyurl.com/lrvln)
'Training Wheel Not Required'
(http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR.wmv)
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

Old January 30th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

I've got a schlumpf and a coker, I think I've done over 1000 miles In
many ways it is cool, but not as cool as a nice coker.

It has some practical advantages, like being easy to take around, you
can put it on buses and stuff. If you drive it fits easier in boots
(although I think a lot of cars fit a coker inside much easier).

It's also cool if you ride a combination of medium technical muni with
a fair bit of road. For that combination there's no comparison, if
you're doing 30 km of muni and 20 km of road, nothing else will get
you there so quick (presuming the muni is too steep for cokering).

I ride mine more than I ride my coker, at home because I commute with
some offroad in the middle that's too steep to coker (particularly on a
coker with 110 cranks and no brake), and I can just scrape my way down
it on the 29er in low gear, but still make my way to work in a sensible
time. I shift it all the time depending on terrain and things like
idling and stuff which are so much easier in low gear.

I'm currently in New Zealand, and it is handy, because I could just
bung the schlumpf in a bag and not have any issues with taking it on
the plane, and I've got a reasonable mode of transportation with me
(I've taken a bus once, but all my other travel here has been by
unicycle so far)..

For pure road riding a coker is great though, the schlumpf doesn't have
the same friendly relaxed ride of the coker.

It's a cool hub. The only thing I'd worry about a bit is the frame
which is ming, it's so so much hassle to adjust the seat height (you
need to undo and do up 8 allen key bolts to exactly similar torques).
It's also the only frame I've ridden that is noticeably flexy. With the
current hub, you can't just put a nimbus frame on it, which is a pity,
as the Nimbus is just a so much better frame.

If I was getting one again I'd consider a 26" rather than 29", because
then you can bung a decent muni tyre on it as well as a 26" big apple
road tyre, for more muniish rides. Although I think if you're a new
muni rider it might not be a good idea to ride too much muni on it cos
of the hub.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

Old January 31st 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zippy

last year at Christie's 59Mi run roger complained that the slack you get
from the crank is just do dodgy at speed. He nearly came off a few
times.

Then again Joe? was on a normal coker and could keep up with roger

Get a coker and get the 3 hole size drilling for length and carry a
spanner around with you. Be a lot more comfortable on road and esp with
that wheel size.

--
zippy
zippy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11885

Old January 31st 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onelesscar

Assuming that this is a thread asking Schlumpf owners about their
experiences...I have a few questions as well. I have a friend seriously
considering a schlumpf 36er.

joemarshall wrote:
It's also the only frame I've ridden that is noticeably flexy.

This was one of my concerns as well. The 36" frame from schlumpf
doesn't exactly look that robust...and if the 29" is flexy...

zippy wrote:
Then again Joe? was on a normal coker and could keep up with roger

That's what I keep telling my friend...I tend to have a higher cadence,
so I tell him that's how I justify a normal coker over the schlumpf
36": I'll still be able to keep up with him.

--
onelesscar

"my bounty is as boundless as the sea
my love as deep
the more i give to thee the more i have
for both are endless"
onelesscar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11127

Old January 31st 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian MacKenzie

onelesscar wrote:
how I justify a normal coker over the schlumpf 36": I'll still be able
to keep up with him.

But you certainly couldn't keep up to your own self's geared 36" on a
normal Coker...

I'm not sure why so many people compare unicycles so much when it's
actually the rider that works all the magic...or hamburgers working
away all the potential magic

Old January 31st 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

zippy wrote:
last year at Christie's 59Mi run roger complained that the slack you get
from the crank is just do dodgy at speed. He nearly came off a few
times.

I think Roger had only done a few hundred miles on the Schlumpf coker
then.

On the 29 at least you get used to it and stop noticing it.

The 36" schlumpf is kind of fun, but not so much better than a normal
coker, and without most of the advantages of the 29 schlumpf that I
wouldn't bother spending oh so much money on one.

Joe

Old January 31st 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Brian MacKenzie wrote:
But you certainly couldn't keep up to your own self's geared 36" on a
normal Coker...

I'll point out here that Roger Davies chose to ride an ungeared Coker
in the Marathon race at Unicon. I rode his Schlumpf Coker, and never
saw him again after the first kilometer. Yes, you could beat yourself.

My experience on a 36" Schlumpf is limited to one ride of 42km and
about 1km of practice before that. Not enough to make a recommendation
on my own. But the fact that Roger feels faster on a non-geared Coker,
at least for racing, is telling. If you want a geared unicycle, I
recommend a 29" wheel. Then you have a light, maneuverable and more
easily stored vehicle, plus a faster version of it. With a Schlumpf
Coker you have a Coker (large heavy) plus a faster, less-stable Coker.

Though I felt better riding the Schlumpf Coker toward the end of the
Marathon than toward the beginning, it still was quite a lot of work to
feel "safe" going anything above a very comfortable speed. At my lousy
level of fitness, I probably completed the distance faster than I would
have on a regular 36", but if I were at a competitive fitness level I'm
sure I would have been faster without the gearing, like Roger.

In the Coker's favor (vs. 29" Schlumpf), they are more striking to look
at, give you a better view, and are *way* cheaper!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view

Old January 31st 07, 10:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
daveyearp

I appreciate the response and feedback, certainly given me a few things
to consider. The practicality size wise is attractive but I do note the
other concerns that have been raised. Must admit I’m 50/50 on this one
at the moment!.. thanks

Davey

Old February 1st 07, 06:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
David_Stone

Assuming money isn't a crucial factor, I'd go with the Schlumpf 26" or
29". A geared Coker is just asking for trouble for a new rider, I
think, esp one in his 40s or after. The potential for going 'too fast'
is too great, and healing times increase with age. The other writers
have already weighed in with excellent advice that I will second
(except for that crazy MacKenzie guy).

I really love the feel of a Coker with longish cranks, tho. Power!

If you're mainly riding for distance (and some commuting) and exercise,
I'd recommend:
1. Schlumpf 26" or 29" with 150mm cranks
2. Coker, 150
3. Schlumpf 36, 300mm cranks, while wearing a crash suit and helmet

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC

Check out my blog (or else):
http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
David_Stone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3834

Question for Schlumpf owners Semach.the.monkey Unicycling 33 October 3rd 06 08:21 PM
Schlumpf technique? joemarshall Unicycling 12 May 11th 06 07:56 AM
Schlumpf 36 siafirede Unicycling 28 December 6th 05 06:27 AM
Coker, Schlumpf 29er, or Schlumpf 36er siafirede Unicycling 9 November 11th 05 11:37 PM
Schlumpf vs. Coker oxfordrider Unicycling 13 February 25th 05 03:42 PM