Cyclist left injured after driver ploughs into bike before fleeingthe scene

Old October 20th 20, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Cyclist left injured after driver ploughs into bike before fleeingthe scene

QUOTE:
Police have launched a hunt for a hit and run driver who mowed down a cyclist from behind and sped off.

Cora Leeson, 54, was given first aid by passersby on Humberston Avenue following the collision on Sunday evening.

Cora, of Cleethorpes, a well-known campaigner for support for families with autistic children, was on her 20-mile cycle exercise when the driver ploughed into her from behind.

She said: "I had done about 16 miles of the ride and was on Humberston Avenue. I had passed a lady on her bicycle who was riding along side her running partner. I came up to the traffic island. Everything happened within a split second. I heard the car behind sound its horn and then I was struck from behind.

"It just carried on and did not even stop.

"It has destroyed my faith in people."

To get the Hull/Grimsby Live headlines every day, simply pop your email address into the sign-up box just beneath the picture at the top of this article.

The collision caused the near side wing (sic) mirror of the car to come off..

Passersby examined it and believe it may belong to a white Toyota car.
Cyclist Cora Leeson, 54, was given first aid by passersby on Humberston Avenue after she was hit by a car which failed to stop (Image: Cora Leeson)

Cora said a similar-looking white car had earlier been involved in a near-miss with her as she started off on her bike ride.

"It is a dangerous road," said Cora, who was wearing a hi-viz jacket and had her cycle lights on at the time.

She thanked all those who gave her first aid at the scene and the emergency services who attended before she was taken to Diana, Princess of Wales Hospital, Grimsby.

Residents say more needs to be done to slow traffic down on the avenue and called for interactive signs and speeds cameras to be installed.
Keen walker Patricia Bates calling on drivers to slow down on Humberston Avenue where Cora Leeson was the victim of a hit and run while cycling

Carrington Gardens resident, Patricia Bates, who walks along Humberston Avenue every day, said: "I saw a red Mercedes doing 80mph on the same day. It was with a motorcyclist who was also speeding.

"It is so built up round here now. It makes me gasp everyday. I worry when there are schools nearby.

It is not worth going that fast, especially when there are so many people walking and cycling."

A visitor to the Bannatyne Health Club said: "Maybe they could put up inter-active signs to help slow people down. They do speed along here."

A Humberston Avenue resident said: "It is time they put cameras up so those who speed are caught and help slow traffic down."

Ward councillor, for Humberston and New Waltham, Councillor Stephen Harness said a consultation is underway to make the full length of Humberston Avenue a 30 mph limit.

"It was initially a temporary move and now the aim is to make it permanent. There were raised bus stops and a footpath built as part of all the developments going on along Humberston Avenue," he told.

He added: "It is not the widest of roads. having cyclists share the footpath as we do in New Waltham is one way of over coming problems. We will be looking at better provision for cyclists and I have no concerns with sharing the footpath.

"there are people who take advantage at certain times of the day. We have speed monitoring in other parts of the ward, such as Peakes Lane. Speeding is a general issue across the borough and it is seen as much in side streets as some of our main roads."

Humberside Police are investigating the collision.

A spokeswoman said: "A woman cyclist in her 50s was struck by a white car which failed to stop at the scene of the collision. The woman suffered a leg injury and was taken to hospital for treatment.

"If you saw anything that would help with our enquiries please call our non-emergency number 101 quoting log 492 of October 18."

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/n...mments-section