Opinions of Cateye EL500 light please.

Old August 12th 04, 03:00 AM
Lewis Campbell

Default Opinions of Cateye EL500 light please.

I'm wondering if anyone has used and formed an opinion of the EL 500
light?

It sounds like its really good, from reading the company description
but I hope that someone who has used one could give some feedback.

Thanks.

Lewis.
Old August 12th 04, 09:41 AM
Ron Hardin

Lewis Campbell wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone has used and formed an opinion of the EL 500
light?

It sounds like its really good, from reading the company description
but I hope that someone who has used one could give some feedback.

Thanks.

Lewis.

The EL300 sounded good too. I've never read a company description
that said ``This light still sucks.''
--
Ron Hardin

Old August 12th 04, 01:00 PM
jbuch

Lewis Campbell wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has used and formed an opinion of the EL 500
light?

It sounds like its really good, from reading the company description
but I hope that someone who has used one could give some feedback.

Thanks.

Lewis.

The light works fine.

However, it is a little dim for fast riding in real darkness, or where
there are distracting lights cutting your easy seeing.

I use it for city street and city bike trail riding.

Wish it were 1500 candlepower, rather than just 400 candlepower.

NiMH batteries work just great in it, and I recharge them every 30 days.
The lamp intensity does decline like it says on the box.... typical LED
problem.

If you use non-recharged alkalines, you may be paying a lot for keeping
the light intensity up as high as you can get it.

Jim

Old August 12th 04, 01:46 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

I'm wondering if anyone has used and formed an opinion of the EL 500
light? BRBR

Just got one to replace my Niterider with a h2o battery. Seems bright and
useable for my 3 mile commute. Not as bright as the Niterider but adequate.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 13th 04, 08:05 PM
Tom Sherman

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

BRBR

Fish?

Just got one to replace my Niterider with a h2o battery....

What is a "h2o battery"?

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old August 14th 04, 08:10 AM
Bill Davidson

jbuch wrote:
If you use non-recharged alkalines, you may be paying a lot for keeping
the light intensity up as high as you can get it.

I was thinking of getting one of these as a "backup" light in
case I get caught out in the dark longer than my regular light
lasts. Given that, I would use Energizer Lithium AA's (they
are not rechargable). They have a 10 year shelf life (good for
something you use rarely), low internal resistance, are less
suceptible to the cold and run about 1.75 volts so I'm guessing
they'd make the light very slightly brighter. One warning
though: they also have a flat power curve. You'll probably get
about 5 seconds of dimming light just before they run out of
power.
Old August 14th 04, 01:47 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

tom- What is a "h2o battery"? BRBR

Ya know, one of those lights that has the battery that goes into the
waterbottle cage.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Old August 14th 04, 07:00 PM
Lewis Campbell

Bill Davidson wrote in message news:DViTc.38391$Uh.7909@fed1read02...
jbuch wrote:
If you use non-recharged alkalines, you may be paying a lot for keeping
the light intensity up as high as you can get it.

I was thinking of getting one of these as a "backup" light in
case I get caught out in the dark longer than my regular light
lasts. Given that, I would use Energizer Lithium AA's (they
are not rechargable). They have a 10 year shelf life (good for
something you use rarely), low internal resistance, are less
suceptible to the cold and run about 1.75 volts so I'm guessing
they'd make the light very slightly brighter. One warning
though: they also have a flat power curve. You'll probably get
about 5 seconds of dimming light just before they run out of
power.

Thanks for your suggestion here.

I tried a search for the Lithium batteries and found * AA Energizer e2
Lithium Batteries 1.5V * in a couple of places, so I'm confused (as
well as electrically challenged) :-)

Could you give me a link to the 1.75V batteries, please.

Thanks.

Lewis.