Mountain Vs. Road pedals for a road bike

Old August 17th 04, 04:14 PM
S o r n i

Peter Cole wrote:
"Biff Stephens" wrote in message
news:XS9Uc.37933$wo.12682@okepread06...
I have a Road bike and a MTB and they both have Eggbeaters on them.
Freddy Rodriguez uses Eggbeaters on his bike to race with. Eggbeater
now have a Road specific pedal with a platform. The spindle length
is the same (they weight more by the way).

I would say that is you are thinking of Touring and even possibly
wearing MTB Shoes you will have not issues with Eggbeaters. If it is
for racing then to each his own but Freddy seems to not have a
problem with them and I never have....

A friend recently had a mishap that resulted in a serious injury. He
suffered a low speed endo while riding an off-road trail on his MTB.
He had a twisting fall that broke his lower leg bone in several
places just below the knee, requiring surgery to reconstruct things.
His impression was that his Eggbeaters didn't release on one side,
trapping his leg and perhaps causing the injury. He says that he has
heard others make this complaint about Eggbeaters and is interested
in any other similar stories.

/ANY/ clipless pedal can do that in an off-balance, panic-type situation.
Eggbeaters can be a little bit "sticky" when the cleats are brand-new, but
not nearly as much as SPD-type pedals IME. (Looks can be hard to disengage,
too -- they'd be death-traps off-road!)

Bill "sorry, but your friend's fall was pilot error (IMO)" S.

Old August 17th 04, 04:39 PM
SuperSlinky

SuperSlinky said...

I was on the phone with Crank Bros tech support today and they gave me
all the details. The Quattro has a narrower Q by 2.5mm per pedal. The
MTB Eggbeater has a Q of 55mm, so a difference of about 5%. Not enough
to notice, IMO. The Quattros aren't available yet, but will be soon.
Freddy R. used and won with MTB Eggbeater Triple Ti's but later on
switched to a narrower spindle, a prototype I assume. I was told this
narrower spindle will be made available soon as well.

Oops, that should read 'shorter' spindle.

Old August 17th 04, 04:49 PM
SuperSlinky

Peter Cole said...

A friend recently had a mishap that resulted in a serious injury. He suffered
a low speed endo while riding an off-road trail on his MTB. He had a twisting
fall that broke his lower leg bone in several places just below the knee,
requiring surgery to reconstruct things. His impression was that his
Eggbeaters didn't release on one side, trapping his leg and perhaps causing
the injury. He says that he has heard others make this complaint about
Eggbeaters and is interested in any other similar stories.

That is one thing that scares me about Time and Eggbeater type
mechanisms. If your foot doesn't somehow get to the release angle, the
pedal may not disengage in a fall. I'm still not completely sold on
clipless for off-road. Racers may need them, but I'm not so sure about
the rest of us.

Old August 17th 04, 05:13 PM
Trevor Jeffrey

SuperSlinky wrote in message ...

design? IMO, a platform is dead weight if you have a tiny cleat like an
Eggbeater, Time ATAC or SPD.

It is not dead weight on a road bike if it aerodynamically better.

Trevor

Old August 17th 04, 05:52 PM
Peter Cole

"SuperSlinky" wrote in message
t...
Peter Cole said...

[...]

Sometimes apparently shoe tread can hinder release. I read at least one report
of a guy who felt his large feet created problems with Eggbeaters when his
toes hitting the crank prevented reaching release angle. I don't know how
likely this is, but my friend has large feet (48). I use SPD type only, always
"multi-release" and have never trapped a foot in a crash except for the brief
ride I took with "single-release" cleats. I have even larger feet (51).
Perhaps it was a toe interference issue for me as well, I didn't experiment
further. I suppose, upon reflection, that, given the right circumstances: foot
twisting in the right direction, crank in the right (wrong) spot, the heel
could be prevented from rotating to release by the crank. Eggbeaters
supposedly have a 15-20 deg release angle. Multi-release SPD have a "roll"
release as well as the twist release, perhaps that prevents this kind of
thing?