10-speed chain with XTR crankset?

Old November 2nd 04, 11:43 AM
Ed Roberts

Default 10-speed chain with XTR crankset?

I want to use an Ultegra 10-speed rear, with 10-speed chain, but need a low
gear. However, I don't think I'll be able to have this. Using an XT or XTR
crankset on the front would not be a good idea with the 10-speed chain,
would it?

Old November 2nd 04, 03:46 PM
Guess Who I Am

Ed:
you can use 10 sp chain for 9 or 8sp components,however you cannot use 10sp for
anything else but 10sp.

Thank you Earl
GRR,RANS V2
Ti Rush,Ti Pursuit

Old November 2nd 04, 06:39 PM
Guess Who I Am

let me correct myself.
you can use a 10sp chain on all 7,8,9 and 10sp.
but you CANNOT use a 9sp chain for 10sp use as well as 8 can't be used for 9sp.
Thank you Earl
GRR,RANS V2
Ti Rush,Ti Pursuit

Old November 2nd 04, 09:39 PM
Ed Roberts

Sorry, I may have sent an incomplete message. Here is the full message.

If a 10-speed chain can be used on 7,8,9 speed cogsets and cranksets, that
seems strange. It would seem that cogs and chainrings would get narrower,
the narrower the chain they are designed for. Though maybe the differences
in width would not prevent a 10-speed chain from working on 7,8,9 speed cogs
and chainrings. Would a 10-speed wear out quicker and shift not as well?

I would like to run an 10-speed Ultegra 12-27 cogset and rear derailleur,
but have a 9-speed 22-32-44 XT crankset on the front. I want a lot of gears
close together, except that I need the 22t chainring with the 27t cog to get
a "granny" gear. I'm wanting to do this on a RANS Force 5 frameset.
It's still not absolutely clear that running the 10-speed chain on the
9-speed crankset won't be a problem. If it's not a problem, great!

you can use a 10sp chain on all 7,8,9 and 10sp.
but you CANNOT use a 9sp chain for 10sp use as well as 8 can't be used
for 9sp. Thank you Earl

So the difference between 7/8/9/10 is the spacing between the cogs
rather than the width of the teeth on the cogs? That would make sense, I
guess.

Old November 3rd 04, 05:31 AM
Jeff Wills

"Ed Roberts" wrote in message ...
I want to use an Ultegra 10-speed rear, with 10-speed chain, but need a low
gear. However, I don't think I'll be able to have this. Using an XT or XTR
crankset on the front would not be a good idea with the 10-speed chain,
would it?

Maybe, maybe not. According to Sheldon Brown's chart:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_sp-ss.html
10-speed sprockets are .18mm thinner than 9-speed (1.6mm vs. 1.78mm).
I'd bet the Shimano chain will jam on the XTR chainrings. You might be
able to make it work with a Campy or Wipperman chain. That's an
expensive experiment, though.

Jeff