Funny chance encounter with another rider

Old July 25th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomkarches

Default Funny chance encounter with another rider

Was riding to work this morning. Had a UPD, then botched the remount,
falling on my rear right in front of this couple (how impressive...).
They were apparently on campus with their child (I work at a
university). It is orientation time, and there are lots of families
with their kids on campus.

He mentioned that he had a unicycle, an old one, that he still rode
occasionally. From his description, it sounded like he had an old 20
inch. I suggested that he get something new, maybe a bigger wheel, like
my Bedford 700c (29 inch).

As I getting ready to ride off, he wished me well and hoped I would
still be riding when I was 40.

"I'm 46", I told him. Guess I should be flattered. (Turns out he was
44.) He had this shocked look on his face and his wife started
laughing. A guy standing behind them said "good comeback"....

--tom

--
tomkarches
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 25th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UniGirl4

haha thats awesome...cool when stuff like that happens (well not the
UPD)

I had a cool encounter today too. Was just riding around town and saw a
unicyclist in a hotel parking lot, I rode by and he waved so I went
back a little later to talk to him. Turns out he had a good unicycle
(KH 20) and was a good rider too. I never see people riding unicycles,
let alone good ones. Only thing was that he was just visiting for a car
show, he lives 11 hours away at least I have another person to ride
with for a few days

--
UniGirl4
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 25th 07, 11:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gkmac

It's extremely magical when you have a chance encounter with what you
think is just a normal member of the General Public, but turns out to
be a fellow rider. In the four years I've been riding, it's only
happened three times.

There was a flatland BMXing kid at a skate park in Milton Keynes who
could ride a trials uni, and even hop up and drop off stuff. There was
a mountain biker at Chicksands who asked to have a go on Rob's 26" muni
in the car park, he rode it slowly and cautiously. Turns out his dad
made a cheap 16" unicycle out of parts of a broken kids bike.

And last month I encountered a lone biker who wasn't that surprised to
see a one-wheeler, since he used to play hockey and reminisced about
taking part in a convention in China (may have been a past UNICON). He
politely declined when I offered him a go on my 24" muni.

--
gkmac

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, take the pictures." - tomblackwood
"As it only hurts when you walk, will you be riding everywhere now?" -
mikepenton
"Well, not everything is as practical as making your cranks flip around
I guess." - Brian MacKenzie
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 25th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cathwood

It's never really happened directly to me.

I have had two encounters where a (different) couple have said that
their nephew/grandson rides a unicycle.

Once when I was camping and riding around on my uni, some guy said that
he had a unicycle at home. I encouraged him to ride it.

This one I'm not very proud of. I was riding XC and some kids on
mountain bikes made a comment asking what I could do on the uni off
road. I wasn't very polite, thinking it was a bit of an attack towards
me (I can't do much), they said they were just asking because one of
the rode a unicycle Oops.

I long to see another unexpected unicyclist when I'm out riding so that
I can shout "Where's your other wheel" at them.

--
cathwood

Cathy
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 25th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
norry

In my 3 years of riding I've only had one meeting with another
semi-unicyclist that wasn't previous arranged.

I was walking my dog last year when I noticed a nimbus 24 unicycle in
the back of someone's car when they were unloading. I couldn't help
myself and had to go and say Hi. Turns out his kids had given it to him
as a present at Christmas, he was still learning and couldn't ride yet.

--
norry

my latest muni ride report [ 'here'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61385) ]
*buc14 video competition entry - 3rd place british* [
[color=\"red\"]'video'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60020) ]
london uk uni meet 06 [ 'video '
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54700) ]
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 25th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Into the blue

In the year and a half that I've been riding, I've only bumped into two
riders (apart from the BUC weekend and organised rides).
The first was when I was still learning and very wobbly and a group of
around five teenagers stopped me "Hey! A unicycle!" Cool!"
Turns out one lad in the group could ride, and he hopped on my uni and
rode around in a big circle, much to the amusement of his friends.
The second time was around last month, when I was out for a muni ride
in Brechfa Forest. I stumbled upon a group of ten mountain b*kers, all
kitted out with expensive gear and b*kes. As I dismounted to get by
them, one of them pipes up that he can ride and asks for a go. He
wobbled down twenty yards of the trail and got a round of applause from
all his friends.

--
Into the blue

\"alright you primitive screwheads, listen up! you see this? this... is
my boom stick!\"
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 25th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Uniman_3

a few weeks ago and me and my lil bro and brent were riding in town and
filming some stuff when a guy and his wife come up to us on road bikes
and the husband ask if he can ride ours cuse he said he a KH 20 and he
wanted some pointers...i let him wear my shoes cuse he was wearing his
shoes for clipless pedals and he was noob good but turns our he lives
close to were we live and he rides the same trails that we muni on but
he takes his MTB on them..

--
Uniman_3

Words are made to strike the minds of the unsuspecting.
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 25th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Not too long ago, just a block down form my house, they built a place
called "Pita Pit' and right by it a gym called 123 fitness or something
like that.

Anyways, im riding my uni bike from the LBS carrying a new CC tire in
hand. I see a guy rush out of the store, saying "Oh man, Ive got to try
that!"

I hand the uni over, and said he will probably want to lean against a
rail or something to start out, but he ignores me. Hops on the uni and
rides wobbly down about 20 feet. I was amazed, then it hit me that he
could already ride. He hops around, and rides perfectly back at me with
a smile.

We talk,turns out he is the owner of both new place, and that he does
muni, as another one of his friends done, who I havent met yet. He had
a KH uni stolen from him somewhere, but bought another one not too long
ago, so now we have to plan a ride together.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 27th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mattwood22

this has happened to me a few times aswel

once we went to a skatepark in york that i had never been to and met a
few trial bikers ther who showed us some good spots. turned out he had
a uni and was pretty gud at it. after going on mine he decided he too
was going to get a trials uni, but since then iv never been back. it
would be intresting to see weather he did buy one or not, and how gud
he is now.

just this weekend i met someone in my village after doing a show. he
said he used to ride one a long time ago when he was a child. i offered
him a go on my trails and he cud stil do it! he was stil comfortable
with forwards and backwards even with a big tire and low seat. he too
was re introduced to the unicycle world and said he was intrested with
buying another!

Matt

--
mattwood22
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 27th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
heelnipper

the only (unexpected) fellow unicyclist i've come by was when.....

my church owns a gym and we have a lot of events in it.one of our
members was having a family reUNIon and sombody had brought a
unicycle.i asked the man that gose to our church who it was and he
pointed to a woman who (as far as i could see) wasen't verry athletic.

I came to ask her what she could do on it and her friend replied not
verrry much (ya she answered for her) well anyway it was a torker cx
with abunch of rust all over a savage seat and not many more years on
it.

i just so happened to bring my uni that day so i showed of what i could
do.

--
heelnipper

hey! check out my step brothers new movie

'\"somthing missie in the life of jordan bank\"'
(http://somethingmissie.com/)
http://www.usenet.com

An interesting encounter Just zis Guy, you know? UK 4 June 29th 06 05:50 AM
I just survived an encounter... G.T. Mountain Biking 8 April 23rd 06 09:08 PM
scary encounter. Callistus Valerius Techniques 42 May 16th 05 12:19 PM
Encounter with an Idiot Simonb UK 0 May 2nd 05 10:23 PM
Rider of the Year 2003 - Most Promising Rider - Most Disapointing Rider Kenny Racing 64 October 30th 03 01:05 AM