handlebar stem and obscured expander bolt screw

Old June 19th 05, 11:36 AM

Default handlebar stem and obscured expander bolt screw

Hi

Just installing a 3T Quid stem. It has a plastic cover over the
expander bolt screw (which you can just about see if you go here
http://www.parker-international.co.u...tegoryID/51/v/).
Took that off but the actual bolt screw is totally obscured by the
rubbery thing that the plastic cover screw goes into!

Any ideas? The manual that comes with the stem doesn't even mention
this type of part. I was thinking of pulling the thing out with some
pliers but would like some opinions or other options!

Thanks,

Old June 19th 05, 06:46 PM
Zog The Undeniable

wrote:

Hi

Just installing a 3T Quid stem. It has a plastic cover over the
expander bolt screw (which you can just about see if you go here
http://www.parker-international.co.u...tegoryID/51/v/).
Took that off but the actual bolt screw is totally obscured by the
rubbery thing that the plastic cover screw goes into!

Any ideas? The manual that comes with the stem doesn't even mention
this type of part. I was thinking of pulling the thing out with some
pliers but would like some opinions or other options!

Do you mean the black shim between the two halves of the clamp? That's
there to stop you crushing the bar and it should be left in place. The
bar will still be held tight - try it.
Old June 20th 05, 12:43 AM
A Muzi

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
Do you mean the black shim between the two halves of the clamp? That's
there to stop you crushing the bar and it should be left in place. The
bar will still be held tight - try it.

That's rubber, not steel.

The parabola-shaped piece inside a stem slit simply 'looks
nice' and in fact with early models such as Cinelli XA, red,
blue, white yellow were supplied in the package. No
functional difference with it or without it.

Some models of Profile stem at one time included a small
hard nylon insert purported to prevent overtightening. I
can't say if it worked as most of those stems I see on bikes
are missing the insert anyway.

Stop and think about what you wrote. A piece of rubber can't
help at all.

Back to the OP, it sounds as if there is a plastic part
stuck in the top, occluding access to the expander. Yes, dig
that out. We like a pointy spoke for such jobs.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old June 20th 05, 03:18 AM
Marcus Coles

wrote:
Hi

Just installing a 3T Quid stem. It has a plastic cover over the
expander bolt screw (which you can just about see if you go here
http://www.parker-international.co.u...tegoryID/51/v/).
Took that off but the actual bolt screw is totally obscured by the
rubbery thing that the plastic cover screw goes into!

Any ideas? The manual that comes with the stem doesn't even mention
this type of part. I was thinking of pulling the thing out with some
pliers but would like some opinions or other options!

Thanks,

If it's like a piece of plastic tube that sticks out of the stem
extension for the black metal screw that attaches the plastic cover it
just pulls out with pliers.
It's split at one end and the cover attachment screw uses it like a wall
anchor.
Be gentle when tightening the cover screw as the aero cover is thin
crappy plastic and will split.

Marcus Coles

Old June 20th 05, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the reply. Extracted it with pliers. You're right about the
plastic cover: it looks very crappy and thin which is a bit of a shame.

Cheers

cccrider

Old June 20th 05, 10:41 AM

Cheers Andrew, used pliers, but I will add this to my list of jobs that
can be done with spokes (which was limited to greasing and poking)!

cccrider