Campy ergopower autoshift problem

Old June 16th 05, 07:33 PM

Default Campy ergopower autoshift problem

jim beam wrote:
wrote:

jim beam wrote:

wrote:

jim beam wrote:

wrote:

I am not sure what you mean about the cable mounting on the derailleur.
My cable is attached on the wheel side of the pinch bolt. Is that
incorrect?

no, that should be correct. there's a small shallow groove the cable's
supposed to sit in, but it doesn't look very secure so some people seem
to think it better to mount the cable "more securely" in another
location - which messes up the pull ratio.

I see the groove and it is attached correctly. Since this is my first
setup with shifters on the brake levers, sometime I need to move the RH
shifter only slightly before it shifts to a larger cog and it doesn't
"click". Other times it will click and shift. Is that normal?

can't say for sure without looking. is the travel between clicks short
& crisp or wishy washy & variable? if so, it's definitely the shifter,
but pretty unlikely for a new one. otherwise, if the cable's routed
right, it's got to be adjustment. from behind the bike, the top pulley
wheel should exactly align with each cog on each click. if it's
consistently off, it's adjustment. it it's off with some, not others,
it's pull ratio.

Not sure what you mean by "pull ratio" ??

each click of the shifter pulls a certain amoint of cable. that has to
be matched to the leverage ratio of the derailleur. that's why you
can't typically [without modification] use a campy derailleur with a
shimano shifter - different pull ratios. that's why the lay of the
cable under the derailleur pinch bolt is important.

Got it. I am taking it back to the LBS that set up the bike and tell
them to make sure that they actually ride it. They keep saying that it
is cable stretch, but I know that is BS. I've put 200 miles on it and
they already once readjusted the cable tension and I still have both
problems.

Old June 17th 05, 02:36 AM
jim beam

wrote:

jim beam wrote:

wrote:

jim beam wrote:

wrote:

jim beam wrote:

wrote:

[...]

look into the cable outer thing while you're at it. i've often seen
poor shops not pay attention to this and it can lead to lousy shifting
[& bad braking]. ends need to be flat & square.

Old June 17th 05, 03:51 PM

jim beam wrote:
wrote:

jim beam wrote:

wrote:

jim beam wrote:

wrote:

jim beam wrote:

[...]

What exactly is the cable outer?

Old June 17th 05, 04:01 PM
jim beam

wrote:

jim beam wrote:

wrote:

jim beam wrote:

wrote:

jim beam wrote:

wrote:

jim beam wrote:

wrote:

[...]

you have the bright silvery bit of cable that moves back & forth as you
pull the brake lever or click the shift lever, then you have the plastic
coated outer that the silvery stuff runs inside of. if that is not
seated square in any of the stops, tension on the inner leads to
movement of the outer reducing the full extent of the inner's travel.

there's 2 types of outer - check them out on sheldon's web site to see
the differences & get an idea of function. while looking at them, make
sure you have "compressionless" outers for the shifter cables.

Old June 18th 05, 11:33 AM
Peter Vesel

I was having this same problem. In the middle of the cassette the rear
derailleur would shift under load.
To cut a long story short I eventually changed the housing that goes into
the rear derailleur and added a couple of inches to the length (of course I
had to replace the inner as well) and the problem has disappeared (finally)
I am sure the problem was not the inner wire as I changed it before
believing it was sticking.

I think it was the Barnett's manual that pointed out that having to short of
a derailleur hosing caused all sorts of shift problems.

Hope this helps

Peter

Old June 20th 05, 04:05 PM

Peter Vesel wrote:
I was having this same problem. In the middle of the cassette the rear
derailleur would shift under load.
To cut a long story short I eventually changed the housing that goes into
the rear derailleur and added a couple of inches to the length (of course I
had to replace the inner as well) and the problem has disappeared (finally)
I am sure the problem was not the inner wire as I changed it before
believing it was sticking.

I think it was the Barnett's manual that pointed out that having to short of
a derailleur hosing caused all sorts of shift problems.

Hope this helps

Peter

How long should the cable housing be? Mine seems quite long and has a
large loop in it(can't measure right now, I sent bike back to my LBS
that set it up.
what is Barnett's Manual?