DA10 cassette on DA9 freehub?

Old June 18th 05, 05:57 PM
psycholist

Default DA10 cassette on DA9 freehub?

I thought Shimano's new 10 speed cassette was supposed to work on freehub
bodies that previously worked with the 9 speed stuff. Is that wrong? I
have a new bike with DA10 and I put the cassette on an older pair of wheels.
It seemed just fine at first, but then it started chinking around on the
ride and now it's loose as a goose. Do I need a new freehub body or can I
just use some kind of spacer?

Thanks in advance.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Old June 19th 05, 12:57 AM
daveornee

psycholist Wrote:
I thought Shimano's new 10 speed cassette was supposed to work o
freehub
bodies that previously worked with the 9 speed stuff. Is that wrong?
have a new bike with DA10 and I put the cassette on an older pair o
wheels.
It seemed just fine at first, but then it started chinking around o
the
ride and now it's loose as a goose. Do I need a new freehub body o
can I
just use some kind of spacer?

Thanks in advance.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Is the lock ring still securely torqued down?
I don't have many miles on 10 speed cassette on 9 speed hub, but i
seems secure and quiet

--
daveornee

Old June 19th 05, 03:03 AM
psycholist

Brain fart. When I removed the 10 speed cassette from the wheel that came
on the new bike, I missed the tiny little spacer ring after the largest set
of cogs. Once I realized that and got it in place, I was golden.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)
"daveornee" wrote in
message ...

psycholist Wrote:
I thought Shimano's new 10 speed cassette was supposed to work on
freehub
bodies that previously worked with the 9 speed stuff. Is that wrong?
have a new bike with DA10 and I put the cassette on an older pair of
wheels.
It seemed just fine at first, but then it started chinking around on
the
ride and now it's loose as a goose. Do I need a new freehub body or
can I
just use some kind of spacer?

Thanks in advance.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Is the lock ring still securely torqued down?
I don't have many miles on 10 speed cassette on 9 speed hub, but it
seems secure and quiet.

--
daveornee

Old June 19th 05, 03:27 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

psycholist wrote:
I thought Shimano's new 10 speed cassette was supposed to work on freehub
bodies that previously worked with the 9 speed stuff. Is that wrong? I
have a new bike with DA10 and I put the cassette on an older pair of wheels.
It seemed just fine at first, but then it started chinking around on the
ride and now it's loose as a goose. Do I need a new freehub body or can I
just use some kind of spacer?

Thanks in advance.

--
Bob C.

DA and ultegra 10s cogsets MUST have the included spacer for them to
work on 8s/9s HG freehub bodies. Poor design, IMO, shimano couldn't
make these so they would fit onto DA 10s hubs AND older hubs??

Just use any 1mm spacer onto the freehub body first, then the cogset.