Blue railway signals?

Old December 29th 18, 12:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Dave W[_3_]

Default Blue railway signals?

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 01:45:51 GMT, Johnny B Good
wrote:

On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 15:53:23 +0000, William Gothberg wrote:

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 03:11:09 -0000, Johnny B Good
wrote:

====snip====

Since there's already an existing (born out of logic) standard way
round
to fit hot and cold taps and you want to maintain consistency within
your own home, it's just simply better that the layout you choose
matches that used in the vast majority of cases elsewhere. Consistency
is the key to an easier life, so, just 'go with the flow'. :-)

It really doesn't bother me about where the hot and cold are, I just use
the blue or red one as required. But when something needs to be turned
the wrong way, that's insane. For example it once cost me £200 because
I broke a Nikon camera - they actually have the lenses designed to fit
on anti-clockwise! And what's worse, if you turn them the wrong way, it
snaps the linkage for the focusing in the camera, costing a fortune. Oh
well, I'll never buy anything from that company again, their loss.

I've seen a similarly insane choice with those dual kitchen sink taps
which have the taps for hot 'n' cold arranged directly opposite each
other either side of the single spout tap assembly such that you need to
rotate them so the top sides of either tap are either rotated towards or
away from you rather than the entirely logical anti-clockwise to open
them from the appropriate sideways end view of each tap.

It's hard to describe succinctly but, in the unlikely event you haven't
experienced this sort of 'counter-intuitive weirdness' before, you may
need to consider my description very carefully to appreciate what a
stupid nitwit idea this is.

If it had been a quarter turn lever tap rather than an otherwise
ordinary multi-turn tap where clockwise means 'close' and anticlockwise
means 'open', the idea would have worked just fine but, as it was, it was
a total pain using such an oddball tap arrangement.

I have a friend with such a tap. I always forget, and get a drenching
when trying to turn off the cold tap but get the full force of the
mains instead.
--
Dave W
Old December 29th 18, 02:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
William Gothberg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I've seen quite a few of those and agree entirely. I turn on the cold and it works normally, then I try to turn on the hot and it doesn't move. Oh, that one works in reverse.
Old December 29th 18, 02:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
William Gothberg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

ROFL, done that a few times. Especially with the ones with a very small amount of turn required to get to full open.
Old December 29th 18, 07:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Rod Speed

news

wrote:

[...]

It has to be that way due to how the tap itself works.

You're free to not buy one if you don't like that approach.

Tad radical, I realise.

Old December 29th 18, 07:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 05:11:49 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

It has to be that way due to how the tap itself works.

You're free to not buy one if you don't like that approach.

Tad radical, I realise.

BOTH of you prize idiots need several real hard taps with a hammer on your
stupid heads!

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."

Hand signals from car Tough Guy no. 1265 UK 87 October 25th 15 04:17 PM
Hand signals? Squashme UK 27 May 23rd 13 11:58 AM
Invicta Men's Chronograph Blue Leather Blue Dial Watch 3314 [email protected] UK 0 April 3rd 08 04:17 AM
Hand signals Bean Long Australia 3 December 9th 05 02:31 PM
Hand signals Arpit Australia 52 September 14th 03 06:05 AM