Blue railway signals?

Old December 16th 18, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kristy Ogilvie

Default Blue railway signals?

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 14:59:01 -0000, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 13:43:09 GMT, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

Kristy Ogilvie wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 11:02:40 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Kristy Ogilvie" wrote in message
news On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 00:55:55 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Fred Johnson" wrote in message
news On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 23:43:41 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Fred Johnson" wrote in message
news On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 23:12:50 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Fred Johnson" wrote in message
news On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 21:03:57 -0000, Mike Humphrey
wrote:

Fred Johnson wrote:

[]

Yes, there are always morons.

And ******s like you.

That would imply deliberately mis-designing your own product.

**** off Hucker.

Suscinct as usual

More likely lazy or **** at typing, or his antique Windows XP (!) box can't accept keypresses very quickly.
Old December 16th 18, 05:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Kristy Ogilvie

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 14:27:42 -0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 16/12/2018 13:37, Kristy Ogilvie wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 09:30:43 -0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 16/12/2018 09:25, Max Demian wrote:
On 15/12/2018 19:25, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 18:21:55 +0000, Fred Johnson wrote:

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 11:22:05 -0000, Max Demian

wrote:

====snip====

Usually hot is on the left.

Seems to be that way on all my sinks, but I'd say in other people's
houses I see it the other way round in about 20% of cases. When I
were
a lad, the bathroom sink was definitely the other way round, can't
remember the kitchen sink.

Back in the day when *cold* running water was a luxury, the tap
(fawcet)
would be mounted on the RHS for ease of use by right handed people (the
majority of the population - most left handers learn soon enough to
become ambidextrous).

The hot tap being a much later luxury add on had to make do with the
only remaining space on the LHS. Thus was the convention of LHS hot/RHS
cold tap placement born. The other way round is usually the result of
lazy plumbing and pure chance.

Any evidence for that? Surely they would put the single tap in the
middle for symmetry. Was there ever a time when hot taps were added as
an extra to an existing cold water tap, rather than installing them
together?

I have seen te odd one like that yes, in pretty old un-renovated
properties back in the 1970s

Sounds like a neat, invented explanation.

That I agree with.

As soon as twin taps were vthe norm for some reaosn sonmeone decided
that the right hand more often than not wanted the cold tap

Depends on the person. I always wash my hands in cold water, I don't
see the need for hot water to dissolve a bar of soap. Some people
always use hot water, for comfort I think.

Prior to that the cold tap was generally either central or in an random
corner

Probably just depending in where the pipe happened to be. Why run it
further than necessary?

Mind you, you'd think a sink designed for one tap would have one hole,
in one place.

Sinks in them days didnt have holes

They were universally butlers type china basin with just a drain hole

Or maybe a galvabised tin thing - integrated tap holes and draining
boards are a massively later development.

My parents 1953 new build had a butltres sink on two brackets soldered
lead outflow pipe and a wooden draining board on IIRC both sides. I
can't remember whether it had a hot tap or not, or whether that was only
for the bath and two WC basins.

I do vaguely remember my grandmothers sink, in her house which I think she lived in from marriage to death, the taps were fixed to the wall behind the kitchen sink. I can't remember what the sink was like.

By and large there was never any hot
water unless monumental amounts of coal were heaped on the dining room
fire for an hour or so.,

Then a 2" deep bath used by the whole shivering family resulted.

Wouldn't it have been easier to go into the garden and hose each other? Or were garden hoses not available then?

I wonder where this modern idea of "you must keep warm" came from. Everyone survived cold things back then....

Mostly hot water was boiled on a gas stove.

Old December 16th 18, 05:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 12:37:49 +0000, newshound, another mentally challenged
troll-feeding senile idiot, driveled:

You may not know *of* many but I bet you know quite a lot. It's about 8%
of men, although many of them do not realise that, or discover it until
tested later in life.

You may not know it, but you ARE feeding the Hucker troll, troll-feeding
senile idiot! tsk
Old December 16th 18, 05:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 15:00:21 +0000, Max Demian, an especially stupid,
notorious, troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered

I suspect they don't look *identical*, just not as distinct as to
someone with normal colour vision. They would use the position to
confirm which is which.

I suspect the Scottish ******'s cock always tastes identical to you, senile
idiot, or you wouldn't always quickly detect him behind each new nym he uses
and quickly suck him off again!
Old December 16th 18, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

wrote:

"Fred Johnson" wrote in message
news On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 23:12:50 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Fred Johnson" wrote in
message news On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 21:03:57 -0000, Mike Humphrey
wrote:

Fred Johnson wrote:

[]

Yes, there are always morons.

And ******s like you.

That would imply deliberately mis-designing your own product.

**** off Hucker.

Suscinct as usual

Honest and correct as always.

Old December 16th 18, 05:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Marland

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Mind you, you'd think a sink designed for one tap would have one hole,
in one place.

Sinks in them days didnt have holes

They were universally butlers type china basin with just a drain hole

Or maybe a galvabised tin thing - integrated tap holes and draining
boards are a massively later development.

My parents 1953 new build had a butltres sink on two brackets soldered
lead outflow pipe and a wooden draining board on IIRC both sides. I
can't remember whether it had a hot tap or not, or whether that was only
for the bath and two WC basins. By and large there was never any hot
water unless monumental amounts of coal were heaped on the dining room
fire for an hour or so.,

Then a 2" deep bath used by the whole shivering family resulted.

Mostly hot water was boiled on a gas stove

My gran managed to start buying her house preWW2 on a char ladies wages
and renting the top floor and attic room to tenants.
She had moved in there as a tenant herself circa 1922 of a family who had
had once been fairly wealthy but due to various circumstances found
themselves not as well off as before WW1 .
One of things that was never fixed in this period was the water system
that dated from when the house was built circa 1880 when a domestic help
would have kept the coal fired boiler running.
By the time I knew the house in the late 50’s the hot water was heated as
required by Ascot gas boilers in Grans and the tenants kitchen and a large
version in the Bathroom we called the Keyser which roared away menacingly
while the cold bathroom filled with condensation.
Gas in the shared bathroom and tenants kitchen was coin in the slot gas
meters which gran had the key to so the tenants paid for their own .
Mean while the original Hot Tap remained in place but unused for two
generations , it like its cold and still functioning counter part were both
fixed through the end of the bath itself so though what you say about sinks
Is how I remember Grans with a cold tap wall mounted above the sink the
bath was more like the situation today.
And though it was 60 years ago the number of times I tried that disused
hot tap just in case it might spring to life means I can still remember it
was on the Left.

GH

Old December 16th 18, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kristy Ogilvie

wrote:

"Fred Johnson" wrote in
message news On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 21:03:57 -0000, Mike Humphrey
wrote:

Fred Johnson wrote:

[]

Yes, there are always morons.

And ******s like you.

That would imply deliberately mis-designing your own product.

**** off Hucker.

Suscinct as usual

Honest and correct as always.

Only in your very limited areas of expertise, which is most likely about two things.
Old December 16th 18, 06:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Marland

Terry Casey wrote:
In article , lid
says...

On 15/12/2018 20:31, Terry Casey wrote:
the length of the
rear half of the arm plus the spectacle glass holder behind it
is overall much longer that the front half of the arm so, in
the event of snow, the weight on the rear would still be
greater than on the front.

I think the appropriate response here is '********':

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...q%20signal.png

OK, not as central as I had fixed in my mind but the arm
itself is thin sheet metal which is creased along its length -
there probably a special way of describing this - to keep it
rigid, but the spectacle glass holder is a hefty lump of
metal, so the rear is still miuch heavier than the arm and
will still return it to danger.

Most rail companies had changed to upper by the 1920’s . The ability to
fail safe if the cable from signal box broke being the main reason, the
spectacle plate isn’t that heavy and most of the area is glass.
The photo the NP produced looks to be of an early example possibly on a
preserved line.
The one company that stayed with lower quadrant was the GWR who always
liked to do things differently .
Their signals look like this
https://goo.gl/images/AcN8fz

You will see there is a weight attached to the arm by a steel rod so if the
wire was to break the weight will cause it to move to the failsafe danger
position , if the spectacle plate would have done on it on its own there
would be no need for the weight. And you have to remember that in case of a
signal wire breaking there would be the weight of and some drag of the
cable from where it had broken to pull back as well.

Versions of the GWR type are still installed occasionally, these at Banbury
went in about 6 years ago.
https://goo.gl/images/8G9MMC
though they may have gone now with total resignalling.

Just occasionally there were arms with the pivot nearer the centre but were
very rare
https://goo.gl/images/8SzWc6

Note they still have the weights to cope with pulling a broken cable back.

GH

Old December 16th 18, 07:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Max Demian

On 16/12/2018 16:57, Marland wrote:
[...]

They were called "gas geysers". A forerunner of combi boilers in that
the water was heated as it flowed through the pipes. Except that it was
all open so you could see the flames. There were the small ones over the
sink with the tap on the inlet and no flue, and the larger multi-point
ones (with a flue) where the taps were on the hot side and activated it
with the water flow.

--
Max Demian
Old December 16th 18, 08:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Rod Speed

"Kristy Ogilvie" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 12:37:49 -0000, newshound
wrote:

On 14/12/2018 18:22, Fred Johnson wrote:
People with colour blindness shouldn't drive trains (or cars for that
matter).

And it's not very many, in fact I know of only one person who's
colourblind.

You may not know *of* many but I bet you know quite a lot. It's about 8%
of men, although many of them do not realise that, or discover it until
tested later in life.

I think you'd notice when you saw all the traffic light bulbs looking
identical. You're not safe to drive if you can't tell red from green.

Very few are that colorblind and those who are
just use the position of the light, not the color.
Dunno how they go with those colored arrows
that are now so common to indicate when you
can turn at the more complex intersections tho.

Cant find a proper photo of ours and too lazy to
go there and take a photo, but we have some
where there is a normal column of 3 lights and
one arrow off to the side which changes color
to indicate when you are free to turn there.
That often has the forward traffic stopped but
the turn allowed with a green arrow. And at
times the turn not allowed either with a red
arrow in the same place as the green one.

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 09:07:18 -0000, Brian Gaff
wrote:

Yes I think that is where the confusion came from actually. So many
people
have colour blindness that blue is normally avoided.

Brian

Hand signals from car Tough Guy no. 1265 UK 87 October 25th 15 04:17 PM
Hand signals? Squashme UK 27 May 23rd 13 11:58 AM
Invicta Men's Chronograph Blue Leather Blue Dial Watch 3314 [email protected] UK 0 April 3rd 08 04:17 AM
Hand signals Bean Long Australia 3 December 9th 05 02:31 PM
Hand signals Arpit Australia 52 September 14th 03 06:05 AM