DoT Copycat campaign

Old November 23rd 07, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Default DoT Copycat campaign

burtthebike said the following on 22/11/2007 23:55:

"Ekul Namsob" wrote in message

On holiday in Fort William a few years ago, I walked off to the campsite
shop to buy ice creams. As I set off, the chap in the neighbouring tent
got into his car. I arrived at the shop just as the driver was coming
out, carrying three ice creams.

Wot! didn't the fat bas*tard buy any icecreams for anyone else?!

I regularly go camping (including the Glen Nevis campsite near Fort
William). None of these campsites are particularly large, but it
always amazes me how many people drive around them rather than walk.
But then again, it amazes me how many people apparently sit outside
their caravans or tents all day doing absolutely nothing, with all that
beautiful scenery out there!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old November 23rd 07, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 23 Nov, 07:56, Paul Boyd usenet.is.worse@plusnet wrote:

But then again, it amazes me how many people apparently sit outside
their caravans or tents all day doing absolutely nothing, with all that
beautiful scenery out there!

There is, of course, a (suprisingly large) number of people for whom
the whole point of going on holiday is to do absolutely nothing...
They probably wonder why you would come on holiday and then spend your
days cycling miles and walking up & down hills... After all, you can
see beautiful scenery without even leaving the campsite!

Strange things, people...

Cheers,
W.
Old November 23rd 07, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

On Nov 23, 9:11 am, wrote:

There is, of course, a (suprisingly large) number of people for whom
the whole point of going on holiday is to do absolutely nothing...

A holiday doing nothing would be too exhausting for me.

--
Dave...
Old November 24th 07, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jeremy Parker

David Martin said the following on 21/11/2007 09:30:

Did they include driving 100m to the corner shop instead of
walking /
cycling?

If you go to any modern out of town regional shopping centre, you
will usually find some feature, about half way down, which prevents
you from seeing from one end of the shops to the other

It has been found that without this, people tend to decide that they
will not walk al the way down, but will go back to their car, and
drive round the building.

Having got into the car, they will then decide it isn't worth it to
visit the other end, so they go home instead, thus failing to buy as
much stuff as the shopping centre wants them to

Old January 6th 08, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

Paul Boyd wrote:
David Martin said the following on 21/11/2007 09:30:

Did they include driving 100m to the corner shop instead of walking /
cycling?

I always thought that was one of these urban myths - I mean, people
wouldn't really do that, would they?

Sorry for replying to an old thread, but:

This evening whilst walking coming home, I turned the corner to see a
woman maneuvering here car out of a parking space, drive 9 car lengths
(25ish meters) up the road, and park into a second tight parking space.
In the time she took to do this, I covered at least three times the
distance on foot (the right one), and she still had not finished parking
when I lost sight of her.
Old January 7th 08, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Kane

On Jan 6, 2:05 pm, Martin Dann wrote:
Paul Boyd wrote:
David Martin said the following on 21/11/2007 09:30:

Did they include driving 100m to the corner shop instead of walking /
cycling?

I always thought that was one of these urban myths - I mean, people
wouldn't really do that, would they?

Sorry for replying to an old thread, but:

This evening whilst walking coming home, I turned the corner to see a
woman maneuvering here car out of a parking space, drive 9 car lengths
(25ish meters) up the road, and park into a second tight parking space.
In the time she took to do this, I covered at least three times the
distance on foot (the right one), and she still had not finished parking
when I lost sight of her.

I don't know about the UK but I know at least one woman in the Detroit
suburbs who usually uses the car to go from her house to her friend's
house (3 doors ~ 300 ft) down the street.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
Old January 8th 08, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Hi,

On 7 Jan, 21:32, John Kane wrote:

I don't know about the UK but I know at least one woman in the Detroit
suburbs who usually uses the car to go from her house to her friend's
house (3 doors ~ 300 ft) down the street.

Three doors is extreme, agreed, but I was struck by how limited
pedestrian facilities are in *some parts* of the States.
It can be pretty difficult to walk around when there is no space
provided to do so- you repeatedly hit bottlenecks where walls, fences
and other obstacles abut the road.

Cheers,
W.
Old January 8th 08, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 8 Jan, 10:01, wrote:
*Three doors is extreme, agreed, but I was struck by how limited
pedestrian facilities are in *some parts* of the States.
*It can be pretty difficult to walk around when there is no space
provided to do so- you repeatedly hit bottlenecks where walls, fences
and other obstacles abut the road.

'tis true. I worked in Nashville for a while and stayed in a hotel
next door to the office. There was no way to walk between the two
unless you were prepared to stagger along a 45 degree muddy embankment
next to the road. More recently I came across something similar in
the UK trying to walk about 1/2 Km from an office to a hotel near
Heathrow.

Letter to copycat T.J. Howell leo Unicycling 5 December 19th 06 12:16 PM
campaign t-shirt Dane Buson General 0 June 12th 06 06:23 PM
campaign t-shirt Dane Buson Social Issues 0 June 12th 06 06:23 PM
Keep Your Head campaign JohnB UK 0 September 23rd 05 05:50 PM
Way to Go campaign Simon Geller UK 2 January 30th 04 05:09 PM