Gloves For Commuting

Old January 11th 08, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

Default Gloves For Commuting

On 10 Jan, 17:59, Bob wrote:
That's what I'm worried about, I think I could end up owning about four
pairs of gloves for different weather conditions. It would just be a pain
in the arse to cart them everywhere, just in case...

That's why layering with liners is a good idea coz the liner gloves
fold down really small. In cool weather they can be worn on their own
or under track mitts.

IME it is always warmer going home than it is early morning so you
never need to take extras just in case, although you might end up
carrying some of your morning kit home in a bag. Of course that only
applies to insulation, not waterproofs.
Old January 11th 08, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Hi,

On 10 Jan, 16:17, Bob wrote:
Hello all, I have a pair of Altura Thremastretch gloves and I'm not too
happy with them. The "windproof" fabric, isn't that windproof, and when
it gets a bit nippy, they ain't that warm. Can any one recommend a good
glove (or gloves, i.e. inner + outer) for winter commuting...?

This is a very personal thing, as the range of replies already shows.
I also find most gloves far too warm. All I really need is something
to keep the breeze off when the temperature's near freezing. My
current choice is leather rigging gloves(!) like these:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17241/...-Rigger-Gloves

Which breathe, wick, don't have too much insulation and offer good
resistance to gravel-rash, as well as being relatively cheap.

Cheers,
W.
Old January 11th 08, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin MacDonald

On 11 Jan, 09:04, David Lloyd wrote:
On 10 Jan, 16:17, Bob wrote:

Can any one recommend a good
glove (or gloves, i.e. inner + outer) for winter commuting...?

I have two pairs of Altura Cresta gloves. One pair has a rip in the
palm, where I had a little coming-off, but were still serviceable. I
bought the second pair because I was happy with the first, but needed
something whilst the first pair were in the wash.

Seconded. The main attraction of the Crestas for me was that they
were big enough - 'one size fits all' just doesn't work for my hands -
but I've found them very good for warmth over three winters now but
the fingers allow plenty movement for gear changes and so on. They
have to come off for anything fiddly like keys and small zips, but I'm
off the bike by then anyway.

Colin
Old January 11th 08, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doki

"Bob" wrote in message
Hello all, I have a pair of Altura Thremastretch gloves and I'm not too
happy with them. The "windproof" fabric, isn't that windproof, and when
it gets a bit nippy, they ain't that warm. Can any one recommend a good
glove (or gloves, i.e. inner + outer) for winter commuting...?

I wear full finger mountain bike gloves. Never really have a problem though
my commute is fairly short so I don't have a long time to get really cold.

Old January 11th 08, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
barkerben

On 11 Jan, 12:27, "Doki" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

Hello all, I have a pair of Altura Thremastretch gloves and I'm not too
happy with them. The "windproof" fabric, isn't that windproof, and when
it gets a bit nippy, they ain't that warm. Can any one recommend a good
glove (or gloves, i.e. inner + outer) for winter commuting...?

I wear full finger mountain bike gloves. Never really have a problem though
my commute is fairly short so I don't have a long time to get really cold.

I have found a pair of tight fitting Milano Thermolite to be very
good, neither too hot nor too cold...
http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP2054.aspx

Ben

Best Gloves Ever! DarkTom Unicycling 1 August 3rd 07 02:34 PM
Any MB gloves out there that can double as regular gloves? Joe Mountain Biking 9 May 26th 07 03:16 AM
Looking for the "old" Spenco gloves, not Spenco Ironman gloves xzzy Techniques 2 November 9th 06 06:42 PM
New Gloves Andy Gee General 6 February 7th 06 07:09 PM
gloves Alex General 5 December 4th 03 10:43 PM