Second-hand frames

Old January 16th 08, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Luggage

Default Second-hand frames

On 15 Jan, 12:43, Rob Morley wrote:
In article 7fc435e1-24f8-4e58-b046-f321c7850e82
@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com, The Luggage
says...

Forget the equipe. Made from gas pipe, and about as brittle. I had one
of these 15 years ago, and it went through 3 broken frames and a
broken fork before Raleigh fixed it with somethng better.

Was it the dropouts that broke? *ISTR seeing quite a lot of that on
cheap Raleigh road bikes.

two dropouts, one downtube

TL
Old January 16th 08, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Hi,

The Luggage wrote:
Forget the equipe. Made from gas pipe, and about as brittle. I had one
of these 15 years ago, and it went through 3 broken frames and a
broken fork before Raleigh fixed it with somethng better.

two dropouts, one downtube

Yep, it's bottom end stuff, though I think the name's been used on
some slightly better frames than this one, too. It came pretty much
complete for £16, so I didn't need to source any parts (bar the fixed
cog and a more suitable rear wheel) to get it rolling.
The difference in weight alone between this & the 531c is
spectacular. Combined with the low-grade brazing, nasty pressed
dropouts and brittle paint, it doesn't inspire.

Rides OK, though, and I don't worry about getting it covered in salty
road grime (I feel guilty when the nice one gets all cruddy!). Under
£30 for a winter hack that's quite fun to ride and theft-resistant
(not much demand for 25" fixies round here).

Cheers,
W.
Old January 16th 08, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting Tim Hall :
David D. has been a bit quiet. (PING). It's yours if he hasn't
answered by, say, Thursday evening, 19:00.

Roger's nearer, so if he wants it I'm quite happy for him to have it. I
was waiting for the photo, but I won't be upset if Roger gets first dibs.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Today is Second Olethros, January - a weekend.
Old January 17th 08, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

David Damerell wrote:

Quoting Tim Hall :
David D. has been a bit quiet. (PING). It's yours if he hasn't
answered by, say, Thursday evening, 19:00.

Roger's nearer, so if he wants it I'm quite happy for him to have it. I
was waiting for the photo, but I won't be upset if Roger gets first dibs.

with out divulging into a you sir no your sir.

I'm also i going down to wales for the next few weekends (back to wales
to sort things and waiting to be a uncle) and you did ask first! so feel
free,

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old January 17th 08, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall

On Jan 17, 7:16 am, (Roger Merriman) wrote:
David Damerell wrote:
Quoting Tim Hall :
David D. has been a bit quiet. (PING). It's yours if he hasn't
answered by, say, Thursday evening, 19:00.

Roger's nearer, so if he wants it I'm quite happy for him to have it. I
was waiting for the photo, but I won't be upset if Roger gets first dibs.

with out divulging into a you sir no your sir.

I'm also i going down to wales for the next few weekends (back to wales
to sort things and waiting to be a uncle) and you did ask first! so feel
free,

OK, photos are now on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/
timintheshed/sets/72157603736890890/

It's dirty but no major rust (apart from the headset). Paint is very
shonky, so for a fixie conversion I'd get it respayed/powder coated/
Hammerited once you know it works. It's 23 inches C-C.

Tim, on google groups.
Old January 18th 08, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting Tim Hall :
OK, photos are now on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/
timintheshed/sets/72157603736890890/

Pursuing by email, to unclutter the group.
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!
Today is Tuesday, January.
Old January 18th 08, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Thomson

"Tim Hall" a écrit:

OK, photos are now on Flickr at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timintheshed/sets/72157603736890890/

My old Record Sprint was very similar, but built with better (501) tubing.

That short right-hand rear dropout is less than ideal for a fixie. I found I
needed a half link to get proper chain tension. Though of course there's
enough metal there to extend the slot rearward, I'm not sure that the frame
really justifies the effort.

The thin stays and (I presume from the front derailleur braze-on) oval tubes
also make for quite a flexible frame. The rear brake (I was running a
freewheel for a while) would often rub the rim on stiff climbs.

Those Thun cranks are quite fragile - I managed to tear the pressed-on
spider loose from mine after very few miles.

Cycle jumbles can be good sources of cheap, fixable frames and parts:

http://www.campyoldy.co.uk/events.htm

James Thomson

Old January 18th 08, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

James Thomson writtificated

That short right-hand rear dropout is less than ideal for a fixie. I
found I needed a half link to get proper chain tension. Though of
course there's enough metal there to extend the slot rearward, I'm not
sure that the frame really justifies the effort.

I used an angle grinder to lengthen the slot on mine - possibly not the
best way to do it but as it was an old, battered and bent 18-23 hi-ten
steel jobbie I won't cry if (when...) it breaks. Playing with an angle
grinder was definately worth the effort
Old January 18th 08, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 18 Jan, 13:42, Mark T
pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_ reply*.com.invalid
wrote:

I used an angle grinder to lengthen the slot on mine - possibly not the
best way to do it but as it was an old, battered and bent 18-23 hi-ten
steel jobbie I won't cry if (when...) it breaks. *...

AOL mode

Me too!

/AOL mode

I needed a long dropout to let me run a double chainset- this gives
me a choice of 64" (52x22) or 59" (48x22) gears depending on what I'm
using the bike for. Like using a flip-flop hub but closer ratios and
less faff to swap over.

Cheers,
W.
Old January 22nd 08, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting Tim Hall :
My garage. There's a Raleigh frame, um, ovalised tubes made of not
very exciting steel, built for 27 inch as opposed to 700C wheel.
complete with (I think) shonky chainset, a probably handlebars.

Tim just dropped this off (annoyingly, just as work grabbed me for
something that was resolved five minutes later, so I had to sort of rush
out and rush back in again). Thanks.

Is Frank Coopers an acceptable substitute for Marmite, when it's done?
--
David Damerell flcl?
Today is Saturday, January - a weekend.