re-using chains

Old January 26th 08, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

Default re-using chains

news.virgin.net wrote:

That's how I figured it - since were on the subject though, I don't really
understand the business of measuring the chain periodically to see if it
needs replacing in order to avoid chainging the cassette. How many chains do
you get to a cassette if you do this and is it economically sensible ?

If you don't measure your chain, and replace it when needed, you will
only get one chain per cassette (and chain rings etc).
Also once the chain starts wearing it will be more likely to skip or
break, and performance goes down.

At a complete guess, if you only get three chains to a cassette, and
each chain lasts 2/3 of the time than running a chain cassette
combination into the ground would, then you would be paying for three
chains and one cassette instead of two chains and two cassettes. This
is economically viable, and ignores the cost of replacing the extra
chain rings as well.

Martin.
Old January 26th 08, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Martin Dann" wrote in message
news.virgin.net wrote:

[...]

I reckon the numbers are slightly less favourable than that to the replacing
chain scenario - they last for really quite a long time after they've worn
to the point that a new chain won't fit the sprockets.

cheers,
clive

Old January 26th 08, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

On 26/01/2008 19:20, Martin Dann wrote:
At a complete guess, if you only get three chains to a cassette, and
each chain lasts 2/3 of the time than running a chain cassette
combination into the ground would, then you would be paying for three
chains and one cassette instead of two chains and two cassettes. This
is economically viable, and ignores the cost of replacing the extra
chain rings as well.

Doesn't sound viable to me. Of course, I have to buy 3 standard chains
to make one complete chain, so it's a choice between paying for 9 chains
and one cassette or 6 chains and 2 cassettes.

--
Danny Colyer http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis
Old January 27th 08, 02:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
citizen142[_2_]

You can buy a chain in Tescos for £7!

Old January 27th 08, 04:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article , citizen142
says...
You can buy a chain in Tescos for £7!

Ah, the Tesco "Value" range - if only Asda did "Smart Price" bike bits.
:-)
Old January 27th 08, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

Rob Morley writtificated

The number
of chains per cassette varies with riding conditions and maintenance
practice as well as the quality of the components - wet weather will
kill chains quicker, while dry dusty conditions are harder on sprockets.

And lubing a dirty chain kills 'em quicker than anything :-/
Old January 30th 08, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 26/01/2008 19:20, Martin Dann wrote:

At a complete guess, if you only get three chains to a cassette, and
each chain lasts 2/3 of the time than running a chain cassette
combination into the ground would, *then you would be paying for three
chains and one cassette instead of two chains and two cassettes. *This
is economically viable, and ignores the cost of replacing the extra
chain rings as well.

Bear in mind that the rings and sprockets will wear at different
rates- The combinations you use most often (and/or at highest load)
will see more wear than the others. The first stage of failure is
therefore a tendency to skip on those lightly used combos, where there
is a mismatch between chain wear and cog wear.
A new chain will be fine on the lightly used cogs, but will skip on
the worn ones- if you can change out the worn parts (eg middle ring on
a triple or a couple of the cogs on the cassette/freewheel) then you
can probably get a lot more miles out of the remainder.
I wore out the middle (36t) ring on my tourer well before anything
else. Next time it went I changed the smallest ring, too, but the
biggest (48t) was still OK.
Whether Shimano makes this feasible is another question- I strongly
suspect that they would discourage this sort of cavalier disregard of
their marketing...! Better manufacturers will supply spares for their
products long after the original purchase. I'm using Stronglight
chainsets at the moment- I'd probably go for TA out of choice but they
are expensive.

On 26 Jan, 19:38, Danny Colyer wrote:

Doesn't sound viable to me. *Of course, I have to buy 3 standard chains
to make one complete chain, so it's a choice between paying for 9 chains
and one cassette or 6 chains and 2 cassettes.

The wear is spread over three times as many links, too, so presumably
the chain lasts much longer, rendering the calculations even less
favourable.

Cheers,
W.
Old January 30th 08, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

wrote in message

Whether Shimano makes this feasible is another question- I strongly
suspect that they would discourage this sort of cavalier disregard of
their marketing...! Better manufacturers will supply spares for their
products long after the original purchase. I'm using Stronglight
chainsets at the moment- I'd probably go for TA out of choice but they
are expensive.

Chainring wear is entirely normal, and Shimano are in the business of
producing high quality bike parts (as well as the stuff you see on BSOs), so
yes, you can get replacement rings for shimano chainsets. And because so
many are sold, there's also a very healthy number of other manufacturers
offering shimano-compatible rings. Including Stronglight and TA...

cheers,
clive

chains Dan Gregory Racing 0 April 1st 07 02:49 PM
chains [email protected] Techniques 8 November 4th 05 10:25 PM
Chains Tim Hughs Australia 5 August 3rd 05 12:18 AM
chains, anyone? Ray Peace Australia 6 April 1st 05 10:50 AM
New Chains David Nutter UK 2 September 10th 03 10:17 PM