Snapped chain.

Old February 12th 08, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_2_]

Default Snapped chain.

Last Thursday four of us were on a training run at 7pm in darkest Lincs. My
chain started to skip but my mate thought I as swinging the lead until it
snapped 12 miles from home. One rider pushed my left shoulder and another my
right up the hills. I freewheeled down until I lost momentum and they pushed
me again all the way home.

It cost me more than the bike repairs as I bought them both a bottle of
Balvenie whisky as a thank you to my mates :-)

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old February 12th 08, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon[_2_]

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
Last Thursday four of us were on a training run at 7pm in darkest Lincs.
My chain started to skip but my mate thought I as swinging the lead until
it snapped 12 miles from home. One rider pushed my left shoulder and
another my right up the hills. I freewheeled down until I lost momentum
and they pushed me again all the way home.

It cost me more than the bike repairs as I bought them both a bottle of
Balvenie whisky as a thank you to my mates :-)

Be thankful you're a lightweight.

I'd be bankrupt purchasing booze for a peleton ;-)

Old February 12th 08, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On Feb 12, 6:15 pm, "Simon Mason"
wrote:
Last Thursday four of us were on a training run at 7pm in darkest Lincs. My
chain started to skip but my mate thought I as swinging the lead until it
snapped 12 miles from home. One rider pushed my left shoulder and another my
right up the hills. I freewheeled down until I lost momentum and they pushed
me again all the way home.

No spare powerlinks in your saddlebag then?
Old February 12th 08, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

"POHB" wrote in message
On Feb 12, 6:15 pm, "Simon Mason"
wrote:
Last Thursday four of us were on a training run at 7pm in darkest Lincs.
My
chain started to skip but my mate thought I as swinging the lead until it
snapped 12 miles from home. One rider pushed my left shoulder and another
my
right up the hills. I freewheeled down until I lost momentum and they
pushed
me again all the way home.

No spare powerlinks in your saddlebag then?

You need a chain tool. The powerlink is just a luxury.

Old February 13th 08, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 12 Feb, 20:12, "Nick" wrote:

You need a chain tool. The powerlink is just a luxury.

I've fixed a chain using a handy stone in the not-too-distant past.
Probably wouldn't work on those silly ultra-narrow ones that are
fashionable at the moment... but then I guess that's a tradeoff you
make if you choose to have an extra sprocket...

Cheers,
W.
Old February 13th 08, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_2_]

"POHB" wrote in message
On Feb 12, 6:15 pm, "Simon Mason"
wrote:
Last Thursday four of us were on a training run at 7pm in darkest Lincs.
My
chain started to skip but my mate thought I as swinging the lead until it
snapped 12 miles from home. One rider pushed my left shoulder and another
my
right up the hills. I freewheeled down until I lost momentum and they
pushed
me again all the way home.

No spare powerlinks in your saddlebag then?

You need a *chain* to use a powerlink. Mine was somewhere in deepest North
Lincs in a verge somewhere!

Old February 13th 08, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Leighton

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:11:20 -0000,
Simon Mason wrote:

"POHB" wrote in message

No spare powerlinks in your saddlebag then?

You need a *chain* to use a powerlink. Mine was somewhere in deepest North
Lincs in a verge somewhere!

Ahh - so you are one of these littering cyclists that Parris wibbles on
about :-)

--
Andy Leighton =
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_
Old February 14th 08, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...

No spare powerlinks in your saddlebag then?

You need a *chain* to use a powerlink. Mine was somewhere in deepest North
Lincs in a verge somewhere!

I must admit I have lost half a powerlink in a grass verge. (They can flick
off if you let go just as you are about to join the chain)

But lossing a whole chain! That is impressive.

Old February 14th 08, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Nick wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...

No spare powerlinks in your saddlebag then?

You need a *chain* to use a powerlink. Mine was somewhere in deepest
North Lincs in a verge somewhere!

I must admit I have lost half a powerlink in a grass verge. (They
can flick off if you let go just as you are about to join the chain)

But lossing a whole chain! That is impressive.

I had visions of it flinging off the bike into the verge as Simon was riding
along. Anyway he would not have got a free ride home if the chain was fixed
:-)

At least it's biodegradeable (slowly).

~PB

My first snapped chain [email protected] General 7 July 22nd 06 11:27 PM
Snapped Hub brownboy13 Unicycling 11 June 28th 06 02:04 AM
DX fram snapped manon1wheel Unicycling 35 April 21st 06 02:11 AM
snapped another crank Unkey Munkey Australia 12 June 16th 04 01:39 AM
Snapped chain Doki UK 16 March 31st 04 12:54 PM