Yuni Bearings

Old March 21st 04, 03:16 AM
ratherbekayaking

Default Yuni Bearings

Well, we got t-5 days to Moab and today I discover that it would
probably be a good idea to get new bearings. I have done searches on
this site and I have conflicting reports as to the size I need. My MUni
is the 24# Yuni from Uni.com. I have seen OD35mm and OD40mm and ID17mm
and 20mm with thinkness of 12mm? I'm leaning toward OD40mm x ID17mm x
12mm. Uni.com is closed till Monday and I'm a "now-now" kind of person.

I'll check a bearing shop in Pueble tomorrow, with the old bearing in
hand. But if they don't have what I need, it's gonna be rush-mail
ordered, so that's why Im hopeing someone knows the specs.... and by
someone I'm thinking John Childs? I'll buy you a Guiness in Moab.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Ed Hansen

--
ratherbekayaking - Levels-shmevels. I just wanna ride!

"Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a
mistake when you make it again." (Franklin P. Jones)
ratherbekayaking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2330

Old March 21st 04, 03:49 AM
Darren

If you have a Suzue hub you will need a
40mm OD x 17mm ID

If you have a Kris Holm hub you will need a
42mm OD x 20mm ID

35mm OD x 17mm ID are used on Semcycle and Pashley

Buy John Childs a beer at Moab and everyone will be happy !

Darren

--
Darren - Bedford Unicycles
Darren's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3989

Old March 21st 04, 05:40 AM
showard

According to Unicycle.com both models of 24" Yuni's use a Suzue hub so
Darren is right - you'll need the 40mm o.d. x 17mm i.d. x 12mm wide
bearing. That would be a 6203 double sealed bearing.

If you've upgraded to a Profile hub then you'll need a kind of oddball
size that's a combination of metric and inch. It's 40mm o.d. x 3/4 INCH
i.d. x 12mm wide. It's a 6203-3/4 or something like that. Actually,
Profile normally uses an inch series bearing that's 1 5/8" o.d. x 3/4"
i.d. x 7/16" wide. That's an R12 bearing. I would imagine that those
bearings would work in the Yuni frame as well. I've got some of all
three sizes that I'm going to throw in my tool box and bring to Moab.

SH

--
showard - ------
showard's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/452

Old March 21st 04, 05:51 AM
john_childs

Darren stole my beer!

I keep extra bearings on hand just so I don't have to do a rush purchase
when a bearings unexpectedly fails.

If you've got a standard hub like a Suzue the 40mm OD x 17mm ID 6203
bearings are easy to get and very common. Your local bearing shop will
definitely have them. Heck, I can even buy them at my local 'Lowe's'
(http://www.lowes.com/) home improvement store (but they are something
like $11 each at Lowe's).

Get the rubber sealed flavor. Rubber seals work better than the metal
seals for muni.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old March 21st 04, 06:21 AM
tomblackwood

john_childs wrote:
*If you've got a standard hub like a Suzue the 40mm OD x 17mm ID 6203
bearings are easy to get and very common. *

How about for Profile...are those locally available? I have of course
never thought about having back ups for those things until this moment.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

Old March 21st 04, 07:39 AM
john_childs

tomblackwood wrote:
*
How about for Profile...are those locally available? I have of course
never thought about having back ups for those things until this
moment. *

The Profile bearings are an odd size. Not anywhere near as common as
the 6203 bearings. And to complicate matters there are two sizes of
Profile bearings (1-5/8" OD and 40 mm OD). Best bet is to add the size
you need to your next unicycle.com order and keep them on hand for when
you do need them.

A local bearing supply shop might have the Profile size in stock, but
prices can be expensive if it's not one of their regular high volume
bearings. The price at unicycle.com will be less and you'll get
bearings that are branded "Profile".

Old March 21st 04, 04:15 PM
ratherbekayaking

I'll buy ya'll a beer. First rounds on me at the Moab Brewery!

Thanks for the info. OD40mm x ID17mm x 12mm will be my size. I have
the Suzue axle. I was gonna post that and then quickly forgot.

Bearing shop closed on Sunday so I'll check a Lowe's if I can find one
here in Pueblo.

Thanks again.

Ed Hansen

Old March 21st 04, 05:53 PM
Darren

John

I didn't steal your beer... I answered to make sure you got your beer
!

Read the note again.

Cheers,
Darren