Active Ankles for beginners?

Old March 20th 04, 04:04 PM
Sofa

Default Active Ankles for beginners?

Hey all, I'm wondering if Active Ankles would be too constricting or in
convenient for a beginner, any thoughts?

Of course, it would be a lot more convenient than a broken ankle and
leg, but would wearing them as a beginner make learning far more
difficult due to lack of foot movement?

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'It really doesn't matter, because in a few years, you will have every
size made' - chirokid's response to 20" or 24"?

'I'm sorry if I offended anyone but I don't apologize' - paco

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/unicycleReviews.aspx) *88* reviews on
*60* products

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.02

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old March 20th 04, 05:37 PM
brian.slater

I don't experience *-any-* reduction of foot or ankle movement with
Active Ankles.

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

Old March 20th 04, 11:59 PM
onefiftyfour

brian.slater wrote:
*I don't experience -any-* reduction of foot or ankle movement with
Active Ankles.

me either, but i wonder if it would reduce the beginner's motivation to
learn. are you talking about a beginner (knows how to ride and is
hooked) or a Beginner (learning how to ride a unicycle and might not
want to spend an extra minute suiting-up)?

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

Old March 21st 04, 02:40 AM
Sofa

I have no experience using AA

I was just wondering if they may be to constricting for a begginer to
learn on.

(like a beginner trying to deal with wearing full leg armour, kinda
thing)

With the responses given, it seems like they would be a fine addition to
the Retail working not wanting to risk a broken ankle, yet wanting to
learn to ride a uni.

Thanks!

Old March 21st 04, 03:08 AM
hole-in-my-shoe

Sofa wrote:
[b]I have no experience using AA

I was just wondering if they may be to constricting for a begginer to
learn on.

In my experience, twisted ankle injuries (which AAs are specifically
designed to prevent) usually occur when dismounting awkwardly onto
uneven ground. A beginner is far more likely to be riding on even
ground, making the risk of injury far smaller. In my opinion they are
unnecessary for complete beginners.

--
hole-in-my-shoe - getting bigger
hole-in-my-shoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3661

Old March 21st 04, 03:12 AM
Sofa

hole-in-my-shoe wrote:
*

In my experience, twisted ankle injuries (which AAs are specifically
designed to prevent) usually occur when dismounting awkwardly onto
uneven ground. A beginner is far more likely to be riding on even
ground, making the risk of injury far smaller. In my opinion they are
unnecessary for complete beginners. *

I thought the same thing. It was a beginner's unsuccessful dismount
that broke her leg in 2 places that made me first think about this
otherwise un-thought-of armour

Old March 22nd 04, 04:46 AM
Uni

I sprained my ankle when I was a beginner. After it healed I started
learning again with Active Ankles, and I have continued to wear them since.
I have not reinjured my ankles despite some bad UPDs. I found that I got
used to the Active Ankles quickly, and I don't even notice them when I'm
riding. I wear them for the same reasons that I wear wrist guards: it's not
much of an inconvenience, the consequences of a sprained/fractured
ankle/wrist/forearm are too serious even if the risk may be low, and they
give me peace of mind.

Sofa, how exactly did this person break her leg in a dismount?

"Sofa" wrote in message
ist.com...

*

Old March 22nd 04, 04:56 AM
Sofa

Uni wrote:
*
Sofa, how exactly did this person break her leg in a dismount?

*

Apparently it was just one of those things, perhaps an ungraceful, off
balance dismount, turning into a twising of the ankle in a crack in the
sidewalk, then the momentum of the dismount doing it's worst?

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'It really doesn't matter, because in a few years, you will have every
size made' - chirokid's response to 20" or 24"?

'I'm sorry if I offended anyone but I don't apologize' - paco

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/unicycleReviews.aspx) *90* reviews on
*61* products

Old March 22nd 04, 12:52 PM
Tmornstar

I remember very clearly learning to ride as it wasn't that long ago.
I got every piece of saftey gear that I could but only after some degree
of injury. After a while I began to feel like a knight suiting up
before battle. I got my Active Ankles after getting my Summit, with the
nubbed KH cranks, and numberous knocks to the ankle bones. I found the
AAs worked great but soon I re-worked my cranks and found that I didn't
need them any more. I've never twisted my ankle after a bizillion UPDs.

Tommy

--
Tmornstar - Student of Christopher

Tommy Thompson