Ouch - 'first bike' nicked

Old April 27th 07, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

Default Ouch - 'first bike' nicked

Unlikely. Do you think they were just hanging around all day
waiting for an opportunity or did they manufacture an opportunity?

I'll ask what the other person was like, but as it isn't thought it
was a distraction job I'm assuming the other person was a perfectly
respectable chap.

Did the other person buy anything?

Dunno. I doubt the theft was any more than opportunism, but the
possibility is something we're all aware of. We've got ex-Harry Hall staff
and ex-Evans staff in the shop, so if Manchester shops were being targetted
in this way I'm sure we'd have been informed. Opportunist thefts of
unlocked bikes from the shop floor is very relatively common in some shops
thobut.
Old April 27th 07, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

Not my bike, one of the shop's.

Wot no CCTV?

Yeppity, but CCTV is well down the list for preventing theft. It's more of
an evidence gathering tool for after the event, and only deters people
without a baseball cap or similar. More awareness from the staff and the
New! Improved! methods we've got will stop any more.
Old April 27th 07, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Daniel Barlow

Mark Thompson wrote:
[CCTV] only deters people without a baseball cap or similar.

See? *Another* reason to wear a cycle helmet

-dan
Old April 27th 07, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

Peter Clinch wrote on 27/04/2007 08:43 +0100:
Mark Thompson wrote:

[1] recruiting now if you're interested...

Applicants at least 2m tall and 2m wide with martial arts experience
preferred... ;-/

Pete.

Reminds me of a comment a friend made describing two people he had met.
"One's six foot ten and the other's the same volume"

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell
Old April 28th 07, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

Did the other person buy anything?

Asked today, and he bought £2,000 worth of bike. And paid £1,600. Word
from head office is "bugger, maybe 20% off is a bit too generous".
Old April 28th 07, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

Yeppity, but CCTV is well down the list for preventing theft. It's
more of an evidence gathering tool for after the event, and only
deters people without a baseball cap or similar.

Surely all you'd need is a small camera at chest height either side of
the door?

But it won't stop people stealing. It's only useful for recording evidence
of the theft, unless you've got someone watching it. Even then they'd be
more cameras than people (and plenty of blindspots). On-the-ball and well
trained+motivated staff is what you need.
Old April 28th 07, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ziggy

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 08:00:14 +0100, Tony Raven
wrote:

Mark Thompson wrote on 27/04/2007 07:47 +0100:
Unlikely. Do you think they were just hanging around all day waiting
for an opportunity or did they manufacture an opportunity?

I'll ask what the other person was like, but as it isn't thought it was a
distraction job I'm assuming the other person was a perfectly respectable
chap.

Yes, they're good at it.

Yeah, you have to admit spending £1,600 just to avoid any hint of
suspicion is really *class* ;-)
Old April 28th 07, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Scandrett

Mark Thompson wrote on 27/04/2007 11:41:
We've got ex-Harry Hall staff
and ex-Evans staff in the shop, so if Manchester shops were being targetted
in this way I'm sure we'd have been informed. Opportunist thefts of
unlocked bikes from the shop floor is very relatively common in some shops
thobut.

An aside...

Did you say you worked at the Manchester Edinburgh bicycle co-op? I had
an invite through the door today inviting me to your opening next
week... are you open yet, or not?!

Peter

--
http://www.scandrett.net/lx/
http://www.scandrett.net/bike/
Old April 29th 07, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

Did you say you worked at the Manchester Edinburgh bicycle co-op? I
had an invite through the door today inviting me to your opening next
week... are you open yet, or not?!

Yep, opened a while ago, although we opened secretly. There was the Secret
Opening on a Wednesday a month or so ago, the Unofficial Publicised Opening
the next day, then there's the Official Opening next week. The idea being
that as almost all the staff are pretty much learning on the job it was
best to open slowly, if you see what I mean.

Mailshots were sent out to people, with those living closest to the store
being told first. There is 20% off everything until the end of May, but
the vouchers are 'running out' (which is another way of saying Head Office
have realised that 20% is a little too generous). I'll keep a stash for
those customers willing to give backhanders.

You ever had your bike nicked? [email protected] UK 5 February 4th 07 11:07 AM
nicked bike dave Australia 1 June 13th 06 01:52 PM
Boris gets his bike (half) nicked Not Responding UK 32 February 4th 05 10:17 PM
Cyclist's bike nicked during trp Vivian UK 0 August 21st 04 11:24 AM
Residen't comittee almost nicked my BIKE! Swines! ShavyDave UK 8 October 9th 03 12:55 AM