Cycling Norwich to Wales

Old June 12th 07, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

Default Cycling Norwich to Wales

Simon Brooke wrote on 12/06/2007 11:31 +0100:

Start with a good map that covers the whole journey at small scale - I'm a
fan of Michelin maps for this. Get a rough idea of your route. Then plan
in detail using larger scale maps as needed.

For long rides like that I buy last year's large scale road maps that
you can usually find going cheap and then cut out strips of which cover
the route and a bit each side. Makes it very easy to navigate your way
at a decent scale with minimal weight to carry.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell
Old June 12th 07, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
news
Simon Brooke wrote on 12/06/2007 11:31 +0100:

Start with a good map that covers the whole journey at small scale - I'm
fan of Michelin maps for this. Get a rough idea of your route. Then plan
in detail using larger scale maps as needed.

For long rides like that I buy last year's large scale road maps that you
can usually find going cheap and then cut out strips of which cover the
route and a bit each side. Makes it very easy to navigate your way at a
decent scale with minimal weight to carry.

Don't even need to be last year's these days - got one for 2 quid from
Morrisons a few weeks ago. I'd recommend the ones with the AA mapping
though - the clearest one I've seen.

cheers,
clive

Old June 14th 07, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Holmes[_2_]

"TerryJ" wrote in message
oups.com...

I think he nipped down to the library to study the OS maps but then just
photocopied a road atlas with a proposed route highlighted linking
pre-booked B&Bs. It was fine, I think, apart from the canals not being

Did he/you check out the cyclabilty of the canals before going? How?

I've never found canals particularly cycle friendly.

Old June 19th 07, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Scandrett

Alan Holmes wrote on 14/06/2007 17:49:
"TerryJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think he nipped down to the library to study the OS maps but then just
photocopied a road atlas with a proposed route highlighted linking
pre-booked B&Bs. It was fine, I think, apart from the canals not being

Did he/you check out the cyclabilty of the canals before going? How?

I've never found canals particularly cycle friendly.

For a recreational cyclist like me, they're fine. The ones round
Manchester here aren't bad - the towpaths on the Ashton, Rochdale, Peak
Forest and Huddersfield canals are quite good in this region and the
Bridgewater one isn't bad either.

It's the ones in teh middle of the countryside that seem to me to be
poorly surfaced/maintained and more grass/mud than gravel/track.

The thing that bugs me about canal towpaths is the relative frequency of
barriers stopping motorcyclists using them, because it means you have to
slow down (or sometimes dismount) every few minutes.

Peter

--
http://www.scandrett.net/lx/
http://www.scandrett.net/bike/
Old June 19th 07, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steph Peters

Peter Scandrett of www.scandrett.net wrote:
For a recreational cyclist like me, they're fine. The ones round
Manchester here aren't bad - the towpaths on the Ashton, Rochdale, Peak
Forest and Huddersfield canals are quite good in this region and the
Bridgewater one isn't bad either.

The Bridgewater is a privately owned canal, not part of British Waterways.
Cycling on the towpaths is banned on a lot of it (and I suspect on the rest
it just means the signs are missing). The bit I used to use sometimes, Sale
to Altrincham and on towards Dunham, has had a lot more signs put up in the
last couple of years, so it's no longer possible to claim ignorance.
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group
Old June 19th 07, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Scandrett

Steph Peters wrote on 19/06/2007 21:16:
Peter Scandrett of www.scandrett.net wrote:
For a recreational cyclist like me, they're fine. The ones round
Manchester here aren't bad - the towpaths on the Ashton, Rochdale, Peak
Forest and Huddersfield canals are quite good in this region and the
Bridgewater one isn't bad either.

The Bridgewater is a privately owned canal, not part of British Waterways.

I knew it was owned by the Manchester Ship Canal Company, but...

Cycling on the towpaths is banned on a lot of it (and I suspect on the rest
it just means the signs are missing).

....I thought that ban had been lifted.

A quick google later and I'm wrong but this is what I'd had at the back
of my mind:

http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/cycling.html
http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/bww.html

"The Bridgewater Way is a regeneration project that will create a
65km/39 mile leisure route for walkers and cyclists along the historic
Bridgewater Canal."

It's obviously not in force yet but at least they're developing it.
There's no dates on those pages but work is progressing this year, it seems.

Do you know why the Manchester Ship Canal Company aren't keen on bikes?

Regards

Peter

--
http://www.scandrett.net/lx/
http://www.scandrett.net/bike/
Old June 20th 07, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steph Peters

[...]

I hadn't heard about the new project - will be good news for me when it's
done. Out to Dunham along the canal and back along the TransPennine
Bridleway makes a good ride with very little roads so suitable for kids who
are too young for roads (provided they can be trusted not to fall in).

I have no idea why the Manchester Ship Canal Company aren't keen on bikes.
The walkers along the towpath (in the bits without no cycling signs) vary a
lot from friendly to downright hostile and obstructive in a few cases.
Old June 22nd 07, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Steph Peters wrote:

[...]

last i looked the breacon to newport canal the tow path is out of bounds
to bikes, but then it's a rather narrow path for a lot of it, and the
bridges rather low, so the possbility of some day triper loosing balance
and riding into the canal is there.

but then there are plenty of other routes to take by bike in that area
if you have mountain/hybrid bike. a road bike would be hard going as it
is lumpy and muddy in places.

roger
Old July 5th 07, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Scandrett

Default Bridgewater canal (Was: Cycling Norwich to Wales)

Hi

Steph Peters wrote on 20/06/2007 23:54:
http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/cycling.html
http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/bww.html

I hadn't heard about the new project - will be good news for me when it's
done. Out to Dunham along the canal and back along the TransPennine
Bridleway makes a good ride with very little roads so suitable for kids who
are too young for roads (provided they can be trusted not to fall in).

I emailed the address given on the pages above when the thread was
posted. I got this reply today, which is interesting...

"I can confirm that cycling is not permitted on the towpath of the
Bridgewater Canal because it is not maintained to a standard suitable
for cycling. However, as we obtain funding to improve the towpath under
the scheme known as Bridgewater Way cycling on those improved sections
will subject to a local risk assessment be available for cycling.

We are currently discussing a scheme with Sustrans known as Trafford
connect2. This scheme if Sustrans are successful in a Living Landmarks
bid will make funding available to complete the section between
Stretford and Sale Waterside Council offices.

Our website will be updated shortly to keep you informed of progress."

Which is helpful in clarifying the situation, anyway, and more promising
than an outright ban.

Regards

Peter

--
http://www.scandrett.net/lx/
http://www.scandrett.net/bike/
Old July 5th 07, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Cheeky[_2_]

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 19:07:08 +0100, Peter Scandrett
wrote:

"I can confirm that cycling is not permitted on the towpath of the
Bridgewater Canal because it is not maintained to a standard suitable
for cycling. However, as we obtain funding to improve the towpath under
the scheme known as Bridgewater Way cycling on those improved sections
will subject to a local risk assessment be available for cycling.

Interesting. I cycle on that loop (Bridgewater + Transpennine) quite a
bit if I need a quick break from work at home. Never occurred to me
that it might be prohibited.

Cycling from South Wales to London Keith Willoughby UK 24 October 27th 06 04:35 PM
Cycling in north Wales for a not-quite-beginner Peter Scandrett UK 30 October 8th 06 06:57 PM
The danger of cycling in Wales Just Visiting UK 1 September 27th 06 08:40 AM
Cycling in Norwich Tony Raven UK 8 December 25th 05 12:41 AM
Free Guide to Cycling in Wales Pete Biggs UK 2 October 2nd 05 10:31 AM