dumb chainring questions

Old April 8th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default dumb chainring questions

Tom Sherman wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]
What's so magical about Surlys anyway? Looking on their web site they
look all right, but the components aren't as flashy as some more
mainstream brands. Obviously there must be something about them that
works because people buy them, but what is it? Is it kind of a
low-key, Dodge Dart-like competence (please, don't be offended, my ex
had a '69 Valiant and I loved that car even if nobody else did) or
something else that I'm missing?

Watch out for Peterbilt 281 tanker trucks!

That's fictional. The darn things never overheat, far more plausible
would be a burned up ballast resistor, but you can fix that with a paper
clip and a shop rag

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old April 8th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Apr 7, 8:40*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Apr 7, 3:45*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
How tall are you?

5'11", 32" inseam

What features does your ideal have?

reasonably light. *Able to ride most anywhere but no serious
off-roading. *Low maintenance. *Well built enough and high enough
quality components that I won't end up getting PO'd at the shifters/DRs
etc. or pointed at and laughed at by other cyclists *Cheap. *(I
realize that I will have to compromise on the last, just not sure how much.)

Basically looking for something that I can just step over and ride on
roads and (mostly paved) trails that's a couple steps above an X-mart
bike. *Possibly with an eye to longer touring if I can get SWMBO into it
as well. *"sportiness" preferred over comfort if a tradeoff between the
two is involved. *I have no desire to constantly upgrade to "newest and
best" so if I do buy something I'll probably keep it until it's well and
truly thrashed.

Two words: Craig's List. *Look for an old Trek 1000 or something along
those lines. *If you are in the average size range and live in a
largish city, then you will have many options. *Too bad you don't live
in Portland -- here's a Trek 1000 for $350.http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/632656225.html
Here's a Pilot for $750 (I'm sure he'll take $600 -- look at all the
excuses for not riding. *He wants that thing gone!)http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/b...11105.html*Not that I'm
sold on Treks, but they are plentiful on Craig's List. *If you want a
real touring frame, try this brand new Surley Long Haul Trucker.http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/632978430.html-- Jay Beattie.

Shipping to DC would be a killer I think I probably want a 56 or
57cm frame, but other than that the $350 bike looks quite acceptable
for what I want. I will keep an eye out and see if anything comes up
over here.

nate