Cycling Safety

Old June 28th 09, 07:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Oscar Trint

Default Cycling Safety

Sydney City Council has a cycle safety campaign:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/psycho12/3667536776/

Regards
Oscar

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius
Old June 28th 09, 08:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 28 Jun 2009 16:17:01 +1000
Oscar Trint wrote:
Sydney City Council has a cycle safety campaign:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/psycho12/3667536776/

Don't really understand the mentality of people who make signs like
that.

Do they think that red light runners don't know that you are supposed
to stop at lights?

Do they think a red light runner will trust a signboard over their own
feelings about safety?

Do they think that people who run red lights will stop and open their
eyes wide and say "My God! I never thought of it like that!"

Zebee
Old June 28th 09, 08:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF[_8_]

Oscar Trint wrote:
Sydney City Council has a cycle safety campaign:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/psycho12/3667536776/

Don't really understand the mentality of people who make signs like
that.

What's there not to understand?

Do they think that red light runners don't know that you are supposed
to stop at lights?

Of course they know. The issue is that they eagerly break the law. Perhaps
because they think it shouldn't apply to them.

Do they think a red light runner will trust a signboard over their own
feelings about safety?

What's safety got to do with it?

Do they think that people who run red lights will stop and open their
eyes wide and say "My God! I never thought of it like that!"

Let's see how they react when they get booked more often. The same with the
turds who ride on the wrong side of the road and ride on the footpaths.

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ipvdBnU8F8
- KRudd at his finest.

"The Labour Party is corrupt beyond redemption!"
- Labour hasbeen Mark Latham in a moment of honest clarity.

"This is the recession we had to have!"
- Paul Keating explaining why he gave Australia another Labour recession.

"Silly old bugger!"
- Well known ACTU ****pot and sometime Labour prime minister Bob Hawke
responding to a pensioner who dared ask for more.

"By 1990, no child will live in poverty"
- Bob Hawke again, desperate to win another election.

"A billion trees ..."
- Borke, ****ed as a newt again.

"Well may we say 'God save the Queen' because nothing will save the governor
general!"
- Egotistical ****head and pompous ****wit E.G. Whitlam whining about his
appointee for Governor General John Kerr.
Old June 28th 09, 08:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2009-06-28, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
Oscar Trint wrote:
Sydney City Council has a cycle safety campaign:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/psycho12/3667536776/

Don't really understand the mentality of people who make signs like
that.

Do they think that red light runners don't know that you are supposed
to stop at lights?

Do they think a red light runner will trust a signboard over their own
feelings about safety?

Do they think that people who run red lights will stop and open their
eyes wide and say "My God! I never thought of it like that!"

And now I know why police always think that it was the cyclist at
fault in any collision involving an motovehicle at an intersection.
Why of course, the cyclist *must* have been going through a red light,
because that's what cyclists do. Cars always only go through *green*
lights!

--
TimC
Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Old June 28th 09, 11:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:34:29 +1000
TimC wrote:

And now I know why police always think that it was the cyclist at
fault in any collision involving an motovehicle at an intersection.
Why of course, the cyclist *must* have been going through a red light,
because that's what cyclists do. Cars always only go through *green*
lights!

Paranoia may be fun, but isn't useful.

Not all intersections are controlled by lights and oddly enough the
cops usually know quite well which side was green.

absurdity gains no credit.

Zebee
Old June 30th 09, 12:30 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Oscar Trint

Oscar Trint wrote:
Sydney City Council has a cycle safety campaign:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/psycho12/3667536776/

Don't really understand the mentality of people who make signs like
that.

Do they think that red light runners don't know that you are supposed
to stop at lights?

Do they? Amber also means stop unless unsafe to do so but most
Australian drivers seem to think it means floor the accelerator.

So obviously there is a difference in interpretation as to what it
means, the sign clears it up

Old June 30th 09, 01:36 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Aeek

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 21:30:09 +1000, Oscar Trint
wrote:

Do they think that red light runners don't know that you are supposed
to stop at lights?

Do they? Amber also means stop unless unsafe to do so but most
Australian drivers seem to think it means floor the accelerator.

So obviously there is a difference in interpretation as to what it
means, the sign clears it up

Too many intersections, I start on the green and am well into the red
before I have cleared the intersection. The timing just does not allow
for bicycles.
Old July 2nd 09, 03:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Turner

wrote:

Do they think that red light runners don't know that you are supposed
to stop at lights?

Do they? Amber also means stop unless unsafe to do so but most
Australian drivers seem to think it means floor the accelerator.

So obviously there is a difference in interpretation as to what it
means, the sign clears it up

Too many intersections, I start on the green and am well into the red
before I have cleared the intersection. The timing just does not allow
for bicycles.

That's never happened to a slow old bugger like me.

Maybe you need to ride more and get faster, and stop gawking at the
shielas waiting to cross the road.

Patrick Turner.
Old July 4th 09, 03:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle

wrote:

Do they think that red light runners don't know that you are
supposed to stop at lights?

Do they? Amber also means stop unless unsafe to do so but most
Australian drivers seem to think it means floor the accelerator.

So obviously there is a difference in interpretation as to what it
means, the sign clears it up

Too many intersections, I start on the green and am well into the red
before I have cleared the intersection. The timing just does not
allow for bicycles.

Patrick That's never happened to a slow old bugger like me.

Plenty of intersections i know of where it happens where two multi-lane
roads cross, especially if you're on an uphill start or arrive at the
intersection and the lights are already green.

Patrick Maybe you need to ride more and get faster, and stop gawking at
Patrick the shielas waiting to cross the road.

Maybe when programming the lights the councils and/or VicRoads, the RTA
etc need to consider all road users, not just motorised ones and roadies
as fit and fast as Patrick.

Adrian
Old July 9th 09, 01:55 PM posted to aus.bicycle
K.A. Moylan

wrote:

Do they think that red light runners don't know that you are supposed
to stop at lights?

Do they? Amber also means stop unless unsafe to do so but most
Australian drivers seem to think it means floor the accelerator.

So obviously there is a difference in interpretation as to what it
means, the sign clears it up

Too many intersections, I start on the green and am well into the red
before I have cleared the intersection. The timing just does not allow
for bicycles.

That's never happened to a slow old bugger like me.

Maybe you need to ride more and get faster, and stop gawking at the
shielas waiting to cross the road.

Patrick Turner.

Patrick,
Try riding across Northbourne Ave, late at night, when you are the only
traffic going Eastwards from MacArthur Ave to Wakefield Ave.
Even with my best effort, I can only get halfway across the South-bound
lanes before my light turns red.

--
K.A. Moylan
Canberra, Australia