A few more chainring questions

Old March 14th 09, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jason Spaceman

Default A few more chainring questions

I have a few more questions about chainrings. Can I use a 10-speed
chainring on a 9-speed Ultegra drivetrain? Some of the rings I looked
at say "For 9/10 speed drivetrains", but I just want to make sure
there are no issues.

I'm currently running 53/39 rings on my road bike. I'd like to
replace them with 52/38 rings. Can I do this without any problems?
Will I just have to adjust the front derailleur a little?

Thanks,
J. Spaceman
Old March 14th 09, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Mar 13, 5:20*pm, Jason Spaceman
wrote:
I have a few more questions about chainrings. *Can I use a 10-speed
chainring on a 9-speed Ultegra drivetrain? *Some of the rings I looked
at say "For 9/10 speed drivetrains", but I just want to make sure
there are no issues.

I'm currently running 53/39 rings on my road bike. *I'd like to
replace them with 52/38 rings. *Can I do this without any problems?
Will I just have to adjust the front derailleur a little?

Thanks,
J. Spaceman

No compatibility issues, but unless they're worn out, I wouldn't
bother. With rings that large, you'll never notice a 1T difference.
That's a 1.8% drop on from 53-52, and 2.5% from 39-38. by
comparison, most rear shifts on a 10-speed cluster are 8-12%, and on
an old 5-speed freewheel are more in the neighborhood of 20%.
Old March 14th 09, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

wrote:
I have a few more questions about chainrings. �Can I use a 10-speed
chainring on a 9-speed Ultegra drivetrain? �Some of the rings I looked
at say "For 9/10 speed drivetrains", but I just want to make sure
there are no issues.

I'm currently running 53/39 rings on my road bike. �I'd like to
replace them with 52/38 rings. �Can I do this without any problems?
Will I just have to adjust the front derailleur a little?

Thanks,
J. Spaceman

No compatibility issues, but unless they're worn out,

for shimano, chain ramps are ever-so-slightly different on the 10-speed.
shimano 9-speed rings work best with shimano 9-speed chain.

I wouldn't
bother. With rings that large, you'll never notice a 1T difference.

on that we agree.

Old March 14th 09, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jason Spaceman

wrote:
[...]

The 53/39 rings currently on my bike are worn and in need of
replacing, so I thought I'd give them Specialites TA rings a try and
maybe get something slightly smaller like the a 52/38 combo.

J. Spaceman
Old March 14th 09, 01:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
P. Chisholm

wrote:
[...]

They will work fine. We sell many TA rings, no problem with them.
Old March 14th 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Jason Spaceman wrote:
I have a few more questions about chainrings. Can I use a 10-speed
chainring on a 9-speed Ultegra drivetrain? Some of the rings I looked
at say "For 9/10 speed drivetrains", but I just want to make sure
there are no issues.

I'm currently running 53/39 rings on my road bike. I'd like to
replace them with 52/38 rings. Can I do this without any problems?
Will I just have to adjust the front derailleur a little?

They are the same part, perhaps with different graphic.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/