Anyone in northern NJ - grade of Skyline Drive?

Old August 12th 05, 06:02 PM
William Holiday

Default Anyone in northern NJ - grade of Skyline Drive?

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 12:42:57 -0700, "Mark Fennell"
wrote:

"Steve Freides" wrote:
My son and I rode the Skyline Drive today, haven't done it in a while,
it's no easier than I remember. About a mile and a half to the top as we
rode it from the eastern (Route 287) side. It sits at the border between
Oakland, in Bergen County, and I'm not quite sure what in Passaic County
(maybe Ringwood?) in New Jersey not far from the NY State border.

Anyone have any statistics on what percent grade this averages?

My son also asked me how it would be categorized in the TdF - I thought
that might be interesting to know, too. We both guess it would be
categorized but just, probably Cat 4. My guesstimate is 8% average grade
with sections of 10-12%.

Thanks in advance.

Steve (and others),

If you haven't done so already, you should download and install Google

Stunning!

Thanks

Earth. It's an awesome free program that drapes satellite imagery and/or
aerial photography on top of digital topographic data. Why am I suggesting
this? Because you can then check out all your favorite rides and use the
tools and features to measure distance and terrain elevation. For example, I
searched for Skyline Drive, Oakland, NJ, and it found it immediately and
showed a cool view of the hill. As for stats, it looks like the hill goes
from about 300 ft to 925 ft in around 2 miles. That's an average of just
under 6%. Not sure how that would be categorized.

The coolest thing is to pan around and see the 3-D rendering of the terrain.
Just set the Elevation Exaggeration to the highest level it can handle (3X)
under Tools-Options-View and then check the Terrain box on the main display.
Then pan around the view. Of course if you live in Kansas or somewhere flat,
it won't be too interesting. Also, if you live some place rural (or outside
the US), then it probably doesn't have hi-res imagery so it won't be so
interesting in that case either.

Anyway, sorry for the spam, and I have nothing to do with Google.

Old August 12th 05, 10:22 PM
B. Lafferty

Default Speaking of NE climbs (was: Anyone in northern NJ - grade of Skyline Drive?)

"Steven Bornfeld" wrote in message

Steve Freides wrote:
My son and I rode the Skyline Drive today, haven't done it in a while,
it's no easier than I remember. About a mile and a half to the top as we
rode it from the eastern (Route 287) side. It sits at the border between
Oakland, in Bergen County, and I'm not quite sure what in Passaic County
(maybe Ringwood?) in New Jersey not far from the NY State border.

Anyone have any statistics on what percent grade this averages?

My son also asked me how it would be categorized in the TdF - I thought
that might be interesting to know, too. We both guess it would be
categorized but just, probably Cat 4. My guesstimate is 8% average grade
with sections of 10-12%.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

The climb up Mt. Greylock between Lanesboro and N. Adams in the Berkshire
Mts. IIRC is about 8 miles long, with one or two false tops. The steepest
stretch is probably the section leading up to the visitors center near the
start of the climb.
Anyone have info about average/steepest grade, vertical climb?

Steve

Take a look at:
http://www.torelli.com/kom/us/data/q...chusetts_1.asp

http://www.torelli.com/kom/us/data/q...necticut_1.asp

http://www.torelli.com/kom/us/data/qryUSVermont_1.asp

http://www.torelli.com/kom/us/data/q...deIsland_1.asp

http://www.torelli.com/kom/us/data/q...ampshire_1.asp

Old August 13th 05, 02:04 PM
Mark & Steven Bornfeld

B. Lafferty wrote:

Take a look at:
http://www.torelli.com/kom/us/data/q...chusetts_1.asp

http://www.torelli.com/kom/us/data/q...necticut_1.asp

http://www.torelli.com/kom/us/data/qryUSVermont_1.asp

http://www.torelli.com/kom/us/data/q...deIsland_1.asp

http://www.torelli.com/kom/us/data/q...ampshire_1.asp

Very cool list--thanks, Brian!

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Old August 24th 05, 07:17 PM
PorkChop

David Kerber wrote in
:

Somebody once told me that the steepest section is about 12%, but I
have no idea what the average is. That inof is at least third hand,
so I would guess is has about a 20% chance of it being correct grin.

Mt Washington in NH, OTOH has a web site with specific details: about
7.5 road miles (12km), some of it gravel, at an average of 12%,
extended sections at 16% to 18%, and a finishing pitch of 22% for a
short distance. Tom Danielson holds the current record up it, at
about 45 minutes IIRC, and Tyler Hamilton held it before that.

I'd love to see what Lance or one of the top European climbers
(Rasmussen, maybe?) could do up it.

Does that mean that you don't consider Danielson to be a top climber? He
did pretty well against the small field of euros at the TdGA. And I think
Tyler was a top euro rider up untill... well, you know.

Greylock is a tough climb. My team went up the NA side a few weeks back
and then down the Pittsfield side. Going down at speed and trying to pick
out the heaves in the road with the sun shining through the trees to throw
off all perception was a trip.

Old August 24th 05, 07:27 PM
B. Lafferty

"PorkChop" wrote in message
David Kerber wrote in
:

[...]

I went up the NA side yesterday and down the Lanesboro/Pittsfield side. Not
nearly as bad as going down NA. It was a totally clear, blue sky at 9:30AM
when I started. At the top a little over a hour later there was the blackest
cloud I've seen in a long time about a mile to the West of the summit at
about 3,800 feet. I had planned to ride back the Rt. 7 side but did Rt 8
instead hoping the mountains would hold the rain off to the West, which it
did. Mountains are wonderful places.

Old August 25th 05, 12:52 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
David Kerber wrote in
:

Somebody once told me that the steepest section is about 12%, but I
have no idea what the average is. That inof is at least third hand,
so I would guess is has about a 20% chance of it being correct grin.

Mt Washington in NH, OTOH has a web site with specific details: about
7.5 road miles (12km), some of it gravel, at an average of 12%,
extended sections at 16% to 18%, and a finishing pitch of 22% for a
short distance. Tom Danielson holds the current record up it, at
about 45 minutes IIRC, and Tyler Hamilton held it before that.

I'd love to see what Lance or one of the top European climbers
(Rasmussen, maybe?) could do up it.

Does that mean that you don't consider Danielson to be a top climber? He
did pretty well against the small field of euros at the TdGA. And I think
Tyler was a top euro rider up untill... well, you know.

Danielson is probably the top American climber right now (certainly one
of the top 2 or 3), but hasn't won the spotted jersey yet, or even a
single mountain stage in one of the Grand Tour events IIRC. Rasmussen
or Virenque (if he still trains hard) would be fun to watch there...

newsgroups if possible).

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
"Liquid Drive" bike prototype at auction Chalo General 86 December 3rd 03 05:41 AM
"Liquid Drive" bike prototype at auction Chalo Techniques 87 December 3rd 03 05:41 AM