Electric Bcycles: Are they really Herisy?

Old July 19th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides

Default Electric Bcycles: Are they really Herisy?

The adaptive hub motor system delivers power with the touch of your
thumb throttle. You can pedal on your own without using the motor or
you can use the motor without pedaling. For the greatest range, you can
pedal while using the motor and experience a ride unlike any you've
ever had before. Combining rechargeable battery power motor technology
you create a light weight electric bicycle classic using electric hub
motor
http://www.bicycles-electric-bikes.com/

Daryl Hunt wrote:
"Earl Bollinger" wrote in message
"Daryl Hunt" wrote in message
One of the items that is close to me is the Electric Bicycle. Not
confused with the Scooter, Moped or Motorcycle.
Or you can go to http://i70west.com/electricbicycle/index.html for the
links if the above links are too long.

Give this some thought. We really are in this together no matter how
your Bicycle is powered.

I don't really have a problem with electric bicycles in general. But when
I last messed with them (quite a while ago) they weren't very good and
some were simply junk.
When I perused some more recent models, it looks a lot more promising.
There is a electric assist model that looks good and I test rode it, and I
was impressed with it, but I still have concerns about repairability
though. Whether parts would be available if it broke.

Since the inhub motor was introduced, there is only two moving parts. The
Wheel and the thum controller. You are talking about 4 or 5 parts only.
The Thumb controller, electronic speed controller, wheel, battery pack and
the wiring harness. All the rest is YOUR bike. These 5 items are addons
that don't take away the Bike part.

I think my main issue would be distance or range. I have to ride 23 miles
one way for a commute and it has to look enough like a bicycle or they
won't let me put it in my office so I can recharge the batteries. I have a
number of hills that would suck down a battery pack more too.

Carry 2 battery packs. If you are 170lbs or lighter, you should have about
a 12 to 15 mile range per pack.

The second issue is
being able to pedal the thing and have gears. Some of the electric bikes
are like the old mopeds from years ago, the pedals are only there for
looks.
So far I can pedal all the way to work and back OK and faster, without
electric assists, so I haven't persued it seriously yet.

You replace the front wheel with a low drag, freewheeling inhub wheel. All
the functions are still there of the Bicycle. If you wish, just take your
thumb off the controller and pedal normally.

But there are some days, when you are sick, feel like crap, or just don't
feel like it, that maybe it would be nice to have an assist.

Same here.

I think the best setups so far are the hub motors built into the front
wheel and a battery pack that looks like a rear trunk bag. If you pedal
along at a leisurely pace you just about can't tell the person is using an
electric bike. A police officer would have to look real close or be very
knowledgeable about them to relaize you have an electric bike.
Plus a bigger trunk bag means you can maybe run bigger batteries too.
Using panniers maybe would keep the weight down low and make it more easy
to handle.
Thus it is very well camaflauged.

It's a shame when you have to do all that just to excersise your Legal
Rights as a Citizen.

Old July 20th 06, 12:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
defrag

dgk wrote:
On 18 Jul 2006 18:58:30 -0700, wrote:

The adaptive hub motor system delivers power with the touch of your
thumb throttle. You can pedal on your own without using the motor or
you can use the motor without pedaling. For the greatest range, you can
pedal while using the motor and experience a ride unlike any you've
ever had before. Combining rechargeable battery power motor technology
you create a light weight electric bicycle classic using electric hub
motor
http://www.bicycles-electric-bikes.com/

If the batteries are on the rack, where do I put my actual bag?

With the BionX the battery is fix to the lower bar frame. The
motor-wheel is on the rear wheel. Now the question is where do you put
the water bottle...

http://www.bionx.ca/en/main/default/1.shtml

Old July 20th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Daryl Hunt

"defrag" wrote in message
oups.com...

dgk wrote:
On 18 Jul 2006 18:58:30 -0700, wrote:

The adaptive hub motor system delivers power with the touch of your
thumb throttle. You can pedal on your own without using the motor or
you can use the motor without pedaling. For the greatest range, you can
pedal while using the motor and experience a ride unlike any you've
ever had before. Combining rechargeable battery power motor technology
you create a light weight electric bicycle classic using electric hub
motor
http://www.bicycles-electric-bikes.com/

If the batteries are on the rack, where do I put my actual bag?

With the BionX the battery is fix to the lower bar frame. The
motor-wheel is on the rear wheel. Now the question is where do you put
the water bottle...

http://www.bionx.ca/en/main/default/1.shtml

Interesting but pricey. And I don't like the motor in the rear wheel since
it's just too easy to put it in the front wheel without disturbing any real
parts on the bike itself. 15 minutes and go.

I do like the battery in the frame rather than the rack, though.