buckled wheel or bent spindle ?

Old February 18th 07, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Glenn Spray

Default buckled wheel or bent spindle ?

Hello All ,

can anyone help with the following question .

whilst out on my MTB I took a jump and landed very heavily on the back wheel
, this resulted in the wheel appearing to move from left to right at the rim
..

Now is there a way to tell if i have buckled the wheel or bent the
hub/axle/spindle .

Also is there away to get the gear cogs off without having to buy a specail
tool to fit in the cogsas i cannot get the spindle out to check if it is
bent .

thanks for any help

Glenn

Old February 18th 07, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman

On Feb 18, 5:26 pm, "Glenn Spray" wrote:
Now is there a way to tell if i have buckled the wheel or bent the
hub/axle/spindle .

Even if the spindle is bent, the wheel shouldn't wobble as the
bearings still spin around the axle in the correct plane

would insert some ascii art to explain but can't do it right

Also is there away to get the gear cogs off without having to buy a specail
tool to fit in the cogsas i cannot get the spindle out to check if it is
bent .

Take the wheel out and turn the axle. If it 'draws a circle' then
it's bent, if the ends don't wobble then it's straight.

If your bearings are in a race (rather than loose) then you can
usually remove the axle without having to remove the gears.

peter

Old February 18th 07, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Glenn Spray
') wrote:

Hello All ,

can anyone help with the following question .

whilst out on my MTB I took a jump and landed very heavily on the back
wheel , this resulted in the wheel appearing to move from left to right
at the rim .

Now is there a way to tell if i have buckled the wheel or bent the
hub/axle/spindle .

Also is there away to get the gear cogs off without having to buy a
specail tool to fit in the cogsas i cannot get the spindle out to check
if it is bent .

It's buckled.

;; no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.
;; Jim Morrison

Old February 20th 07, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Al C-F

Glenn Spray wrote:
Hello All ,

can anyone help with the following question .

whilst out on my MTB I took a jump and landed very heavily on the back wheel
, this resulted in the wheel appearing to move from left to right at the rim
.

Now is there a way to tell if i have buckled the wheel or bent the
hub/axle/spindle .

The axle doesn't turn, so if it's bent, the wheel might rotate in the
wrong plane but it won't wobble left to right.

Your wheel is buckled.

Also is there away to get the gear cogs off without having to buy a specail
tool to fit in the cogsas i cannot get the spindle out to check if it is
bent .

Just unbolt the locknut and cone on one side (whichever is easiest to
reach). The spindle and a bunch of balls will fall out easily enough.
Old February 20th 07, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Glenn Spray

Cheers everyone ,

new wheel it is then

thx

Glenn

"Al C-F" m wrote in
message ...

Old February 20th 07, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Glenn Spray
') wrote:

Cheers everyone ,

new wheel it is then

Why? Fixing a buckled wheel (that still rotates in the frame) is a piece of
cake - take you all of half an hour, and no parts, so (apart from your
time) free.

;; All in all you're just another hick in the mall
-- Drink C'lloid

Old February 20th 07, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Al C-F

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Glenn Spray
') wrote:

Cheers everyone ,

new wheel it is then

Why? Fixing a buckled wheel (that still rotates in the frame) is a piece of
cake - take you all of half an hour, and no parts, so (apart from your
time) free.

And it's a very relaxing way to while away that half hour...

Buckled wheel (I'm an idiot) Judith UK 17 September 4th 05 09:21 PM
Bent wheel on a DX total Unicycling 0 February 14th 05 01:38 AM
buckled wheel Heath General 7 August 22nd 04 09:58 PM
Wheel and arm bent Roja Doja UK 40 August 13th 04 10:01 AM
advice on buckled rear wheel after accident den911 UK 1 August 13th 03 10:25 PM