building a wheel set

Old July 1st 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Default building a wheel set

daddy wrote:
I'd like to try building my own wheel sets. Maybe start off easy with
"adjusting" existing wheel sets, before plowing into an actual build. Any
recommendations as to a truing stand?
go with a Park TS-2?
any good links on the "how to's?"
I'm not worried one bit about the challenge. I'd really like to learn how
to build your own....

Get a copy of 'The Bicycle Wheel" and actually read it. Then spend some
time with lousy castoff wheels or your second bike's wheels to get some
feel for the system before attacking your own best gear.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old July 2nd 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Lackey

any good links on the "how to's?"

Also see:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Old July 2nd 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

use a rear triangle cut from a junked frame mounted on 2'x6' ply
useful standing or sitting.
Triangle bolts to ply by bolting against bolted 2x2":2x2 stiffens ply.
Lean ply against wall
the indicator is a used credit card clamped with a $1 HD spring clamp

A rear hub bolts up, a front hub requires two more axle nuts.

Old July 2nd 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

daddy wrote:
go with a Park TS-2?

For starters all you need is a spoke wrench that fits your spokes.
Flip your bike upside down for a truing stand.

Old July 2nd 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Jul 1, 5:25 pm, daddy wrote:
I'd like to try building my own wheel sets. Maybe start off easy with
"adjusting" existing wheel sets, before plowing into an actual build. Any
recommendations as to a truing stand?

go with a Park TS-2?

IMO, a TS-2 is overkill unless you are going to be building *alot* of
wheels. Park makes a simpler, less expensive "home mechanic" stand
(TS-6), and there's the Minoura Workman Pro that's quite serviceable
for home use, too, and can be had for around $45.

I also recommend an alignment gauge (aka, "dishing tool") and a Park
TM-1 tensiometer (a TS-6 or Minoura, + alignment gauge + tensiometer
will come in for less than a TS-2. And, yes, you will need an
alignment tool even with a TS-2, the "auto-centering" feature is not
accurate, IME).

any good links on the "how to's?"

Others have made suggestions, I add Jim Langley's site to the list:

http://tinyurl.com/qb6jh

There's other good, simple advice on his site, too.

I'm not worried one bit about the challenge. I'd really like to learn how
to build your own....

Good luck and have fun!!

Old July 2nd 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daddy

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 15:25:58 -0700, daddy wrote:

I'd like to try building my own wheel sets. Maybe start off easy with
"adjusting" existing wheel sets, before plowing into an actual build. Any
recommendations as to a truing stand?

go with a Park TS-2?

any good links on the "how to's?"

I'm not worried one bit about the challenge. I'd really like to learn how
to build your own....

TIA

Daddy

thanks all!

I'll follow-up via the links and suggestions.

Old July 2nd 07, 06:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Garry Lee

I actually read the Bicycle Wheel. Very good.

ONE TIP.

This is not stressed in the Bicycle Wheel, but it makes it much
easier.
The only easy way to correct bumps in the wheel, is to not produce
them. To do this, make only SLIGHT adjustments to any spoke when
truing.

Old July 2nd 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jul 1, 4:25 pm, daddy wrote:
I'd like to try building my own wheel sets. Maybe start off easy with
"adjusting" existing wheel sets, before plowing into an actual build. Any
recommendations as to a truing stand?

go with a Park TS-2?

UYep, it's the best, most sturdy. Some will say to not spend that kind
of $, but it really is the best if you are serious about messing with
wheels.

any good links on the "how to's?"

Jobst book(The Bicycle Wheel) amd Schraener's book(The Art of
Wheelbuiulding) are must reads for a wheelbuilder.

I'm not worried one bit about the challenge. I'd really like to learn how
to build your own....

Nothing to worry about..how many of us started.

TIA

Daddy

Old July 2nd 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Jul 2, 9:09 am, still me wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 12:40:00 -0000, Qui si parla Campagnolo

wrote:

go with a Park TS-2?

UYep, it's the best, most sturdy. Some will say to not spend that kind
of $, but it really is the best if you are serious about messing with
wheels.

I'm with datakoll on this one. Cut the rear triangle off a junker.
Take the front fork out. Dump the rest.

I'm hardly a spendthrift, but, geez, that's alot of trouble to save
$45 (Minoura Workman Pro) to $90 (Park TS-6). (Note, those a Bike
Nashbar prices, not including the generally available 10% off coupon
codes.)

Clamp the rear try in your bench vise using the sides of the bb shell,
front by the fork steerer tube. Rig a pointer through the brake bolt
hole. All done, cheap enough so if you hate building wheels you can
skip Ebay and just toss it in the trash or use it just to true wheels.

90% of wheel building is spent watching TV while you string spokes. If
you bring them up gradually, you won't spend much time in the stand.

wheel building Ricky W Unicycling 18 October 28th 06 01:30 AM
Wheel Un-building... recycled Unicycling 13 June 28th 05 01:18 AM
building a BC wheel brockfisher05 Unicycling 1 April 18th 05 07:35 AM
Wheel Building David Waters UK 28 June 9th 04 09:33 AM
Wheel building Beener Unicycling 10 November 18th 03 02:00 PM