Weird Bike Sighting of the Week

Old August 15th 05, 11:42 PM

Default Weird Bike Sighting of the Week

I don't think I'd believe this one if I hadn't seen it myself, but so
help me it's true. I stopped by the post office today, and noticed a bike
outside the front door. Nothing special about the bike itself, just a
smallish Mongoose full suspension MTB. Looked like a 19" frame at most,
with 24" tires. The owner must have had a growth spurt or something,
because as I got nearer I noticed that the seat post was easily a foot
long. Closer still, and I could see that it was made of wood! What kind
of wood, I wondered as I went inside and did took care of my errand.
Shovel handle? Nope, they're too big. Rake? Nope, still too big. A
cut-down mop handle, maybe? And then I stepped back outside the PO, where
I could take another look. Something seemed familiar about that piece of
wood, thw way it was rounded on the bottom end where it protruded from the
frame. And up where it attached to the seat, what was that? Threads?

EGAD!

This guy had replaced his original seat post with the handle from...

(thought of it yet?)

...a toilet plunger!

I rode away impressed with the guys ingenuity, or maybe just his
audacity. At any rate, I rode away grateful that I am not the person who
will be astride that bike when the seatpost breaks.
So, can anybody top that, or do I win the Sighting of the Week Award?

Bill

| An animal will leave a carcus after he gets his belly full, |
| but you never see a banker do that sort of thing. |
| --Butch Cassidy |

Old August 16th 05, 12:19 AM
di

wrote in message
[...]

When it breaks, some lawyer will help him sue Mongoose because their manual
didn't warn him about the dangers of replacing the seat post with a toilet
plunger handle.

Old August 16th 05, 12:23 AM
Leo Lichtman

wrote: (clip) Something seemed familiar about
that piece of wood, thw way it was rounded on the bottom end where it
protruded from the frame. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Too bad you didn't get a picture, "cuz I'm having difficulty visualizing the
part about the rounded part protruding from the frame. You mean sticking
out below the bottom bracket? How is that possible?

Old August 16th 05, 12:55 AM
Warren Block

Leo Lichtman wrote:

wrote: (clip) Something seemed familiar about
that piece of wood, thw way it was rounded on the bottom end where it
protruded from the frame. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Too bad you didn't get a picture, "cuz I'm having difficulty visualizing the
part about the rounded part protruding from the frame. You mean sticking
out below the bottom bracket? How is that possible?

He said it was a full suspension frame, so it probably has the seat tube
ending far above the bottom bracket. A picture would be interesting.

Double points if it has a plunger where the seat should be.

Old August 16th 05, 06:10 PM
Fritz M

Warren Block wrote:

Double points if it has a plunger where the seat should be.

That would be LarryBoy's bike.

RFM
http://www.cyclelicio.us/

Old August 16th 05, 06:58 PM
maxo

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:42:29 +0000, D_Frumious_B wrote:

...a toilet plunger!

I rode away impressed with the guys ingenuity, or maybe just his
audacity. At any rate, I rode away grateful that I am not the person who
will be astride that bike when the seatpost breaks.
So, can anybody top that, or do I win the Sighting of the Week Award?

How's the damping compared to carbon?

Old August 16th 05, 09:24 PM
catzz66

Little Meow wrote:

Outstanding! Stylish AND robust.

For those reluctant to leave behind the comforts of home:

erica.unikmedia.net/pix/uprising/P0001857.jpg

The possibility for jokes is pretty much endless.

"Joe, are you overheated? You're looking a little flushed."
Old August 16th 05, 09:46 PM

Leo Lichtman wrote:

Too bad you didn't get a picture, "cuz I'm having difficulty visualizing the
part about the rounded part protruding from the frame. You mean sticking
out below the bottom bracket? How is that possible?

It was a full-suspension frame, with a seat tube only about six inches
long, and open at the bottom.

Bill

| We must be the change we seek. |
| --Mohandas K. Ghandi |