Name That Flat

Old August 24th 05, 12:34 AM
Dana

Default Name That Flat

Had a really weird flat tonight.

A single row of evenly spaced holes about 2" long in the tube;
fortunately only a few pierced went all the way through. Otherwise, it
would have taken several patches.

The holes were about 1/16" apart, as though someone took a small gear
and rolled it over the inner tube. No obvious damage was observed on
the tire itself, tho I didn't have my glasses.

Anyone seen this before?

Dana

Old August 24th 05, 01:44 AM
Bob Parnass

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:34:04 -0700, Dana wrote:

Had a really weird flat tonight.
A single row of evenly spaced holes about 2" long in the tube;

The holes were about 1/16" apart, as though someone took a small gear
and rolled it over the inner tube. ...

Run over a metal comb?

Bob Parnass, AJ9S GNU/Linux User http://parnass.com

Old August 24th 05, 03:25 AM
Jeff Wills

Dana wrote:
Had a really weird flat tonight.

A single row of evenly spaced holes about 2" long in the tube;
fortunately only a few pierced went all the way through. Otherwise, it
would have taken several patches.

The holes were about 1/16" apart, as though someone took a small gear
and rolled it over the inner tube. No obvious damage was observed on
the tire itself, tho I didn't have my glasses.

Anyone seen this before?

Dana

A guess: something was embedded in the tire enough to cause a slow
leak. As air leaked out, the tire crept around the rim under pedaling
or braking pressure. This made a series of spots because the tube is
fixed to the rim by the valve.

Double check the inside of the tire to be sure there's no debris in
between the tire and tube, and that there's nothing stuck in the tire.
Small shards of glass can get stuck, but not cause an immediate
puncture.

Jeff